PDA

View Full Version : O/T - Daintree Area 4WDing

Beast Of Bodmin
26th August 2007, 09:27 PM
Hi Guys,
Me & the missus are going to Port Douglas and the Daintree in about 2wks. A mate said that l should get a hired 4wd to explore the Daintree area.
Do l need one or can l hire a sedan??

I have a twin locked 80 in Vic, so no orries about experience etc. just trying to save a buck and have a good holiday.

Cheers
BoB

mitchofsutho
26th August 2007, 10:13 PM
BoB,

It's a hire car....so it can go anywhere.

The road to Daintree and Cape Tribulation is now sealled all the way.

That being said, some hire companies in Cairns have specific policies about taking hire sedans off bitumen.

Up to Daintree township and Cape Tribulation you should be okay, but any further north of there is dirt and the coast road was 4x4 only primaily due to if it rains it can be verrrrrry slippery.

So it depends were you want to go after reaching Daintree township.

Check out these sites. They should answer all your questions:

- Daintree Tourist Association (http://www.daintreevillage.asn.au/index.html)
- Driving around Daintree (http://www.rainforesthideaway.com/capetribulation/carhire-rental-cars-transport.htm)

Have a great trip.

cheeeeese2001
27th August 2007, 11:54 AM
I spent 3 months working on a project in Cairns and had some Japanese engineers there.

They took their AVIS Corolla up the track from Cape Trib to Cooktown...popped a tyre and lost a hubcap. I think they made it though.

Cost them heaps of $$ when they returned it. I chose not to drive the beaten up Falcon that I had up there.

savagenick
27th August 2007, 02:01 PM
+1 on the road from Cape Trib to Cooktown.
Even in the dry some of the creek crossings can still give you grief if you have a low car. I did it in a Jackaroo about 8 years ago in the dry and some of the road was still 'slippery' with gravel and there was some steep parts, so it might depend on which way you go (up or down). Having said that it well worth the effort! You can do a lot with a normal car up there just dont try and cross rivers etc!
Good Luck :wave