PDA

View Full Version : legend and handlebar mount

mytmav
29th July 2005, 09:02 AM
used my garmin legend with handlebar mount for the first time the other day, and found that on road it worked perfectly, but offroad as soon as you hit corrugations or bumps on the track it cuts out, as the batteries must move.
how do other people get around this, cause its ****** annoying!!
Further to this why would garmin sell a handlebar mount for bikes when it clearly doesnt work . :mad:

vincentvega
29th July 2005, 09:07 AM
I have exactly the same problem with my old GPS2+ which i fabbed up a handle bar mount for. Fine on teh road, but as soon as it gets bumpy...

I havnt tried this in mine yet, but i reckon if you jam some foam i nthe battery compartment to stop them moving you should be fine.

Shady
29th July 2005, 09:35 AM
The quick fix solution that might work for a while is to cut a bit off a spounge dishcloth and put itover the top of the batteries to fill up any gap in the battery compartment.
Another option is to use a RAM mount rather than the std garmin one. The RAM mounts absorb quite a bit of the vibration when off road because of the rubber ball mounting system they use.
The sure fire way to solve your problem is to hard wire the power directly to the battery on your bike.

vincentvega
29th July 2005, 09:42 AM
A RAM mount probably would solve most of my issues. The Garmin mounts for the GPS2/3 series were absolute crap. they are so flimsy. I have one mounted in my boat and in any sort of weather the GPS vibrates so much that its unreadable.

Jeddz
3rd August 2005, 07:30 PM
Another option is to mount it to the body. I travel with mine attached to my back pack on a type of bungy. When I want to view it I stop and pull it down for a look see.

If your riding a bike you should be travelling far too fast to look at a GPS. :D