PDA

View Full Version : Is my mouse dead?

timsam
24th September 2007, 01:43 PM
Hi
I've been running a Altina ggm308 gps mouse with our laptop for the last couple of years, using ozi.
Last weekend we were out and about and had a problem.
No NEMA output, the GPS fix data is blank for no satelites etc, the nema input and output window shows nothing.
When you start the communication, in the lower left corner moving map is on comes up and in the wndow next to that 2 small black dots show. In this spot it also shows the nema data.
Through the laptops device manager the prolific usb-serial comm port shows that the laptop can see the gps mouse. Plug the mouse in the wrong port and you get the expected messages about incorrect port. In the right port effectively nothing.
Any ideas
Tim

Nicko
24th September 2007, 04:02 PM
With Ozi you need to keep the GPS in the same port because it sets the comms through that port. If it is a Sirf engined GPS you can use a GPS viewer (found in the shop under free stuff) to see if it is Ozi or the GPS.

timsam
24th September 2007, 04:20 PM
Nicko,
The GPS mouse is put into the same port each time, I was describing what happens when its put in the wrong port so I don't get the basic question, is it in the correct port. I've tried GPS port check, it recognised that there was a GPS in the port, but received no communication also.

Tim

Nicko
24th September 2007, 04:25 PM
What do you mean by recognised? Does windows have a little pop up from the bottom right corner of your desktop or are you referring to with ozi and the viewer? I assume maybe the unit is not outputting the NMEA string in either program. Tell me what the configuration is, ie baud rate, stop bits etc

timsam
24th September 2007, 05:17 PM
Niko
By recognised I mean the laptops device manager shows that prolific usb-serial comm port (com4) ie the port the mouse is plugged into in com4. When the GPS mouse isn't in its blank.

Using GPS POrt Checker it shows com4 ok when you click on the Show com port, and when you click on Find GPS with Other chosen as GPS type it shows Com port 4 and no NMEA data found at 4800 Baud to 115200 baud.

In Ozi the upload/download rate is 4800, the NMEA rate is 4800 com port is 4 parity is none
GPS make NMEA only which puts GPS model to all makes. Not sure where the stop bits are, and it looks like its not receiving NMEA in either Ozi or GPS port checker.

Tim

Nev
24th September 2007, 05:24 PM
Tim

It is not looking promising.
Have you tried any other test software recently that may have changed the default prototcol to sirf mode? I have made that mistake with my Bluetooth GPS.
Have you tried uninstalling the GPS USB driver and reinstalling?
USBDeview (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html) is a great free utility to remove USB driver/device info that may be clogging your system. It can display all USB devices ever connected to any of your ports and you will probably be surprised at the clutter. I occasionally remove all devices and drivers to clear hiccups.

Drivers for your GPS (http://www.altina.com.tw/support-dw-e.htm).

Neville

timsam
24th September 2007, 05:40 PM
Nev
I did try updating the driver prior to initally asking the question on this thread. Since your post I did remove the driver and reinstalled to no avail. Looks like a trip to ebay.

Tim

Nev
24th September 2007, 05:52 PM
Tim

Occasionally my Bluetooth GPS has mysteriously entered Sirf mode instead of NMEA with symptoms identical to yours.
My only recourse was either to wait at least 4 days without connecting to any power source or open the case and kill the battery backup for a few minutes.
I believe your GPS has an internal 3V lithium-ion battery for CMOS backup. If accessible it may be worth a last ditch effort.

Neville

Nicko
24th September 2007, 05:55 PM
We have a few BU-303 in stock for $59 inc freight or maybe the Transystem IGPS-M Pro for $89 inc freight with 2 year warranty.

timsam
26th September 2007, 10:35 PM
Nev

Inside its pretty much a sealed unit. the GPS mouse is usually disconnected for weeks at a time. Got some nice strong magnets though.

Nicko Its been a while since I visited the GPS Australia shop. Appart from buying a unit from OS on ebay, a similar item is on there for only $10 less (the 353 unit) but with only one year warantee and ebay dosn't support this site.

BTW yesterday tried a mates GPS mouse and it worked. This one looks like its had its day, and I'm off shopping via this site.

Cheers

Tim