PDA

View Full Version : cheapest & best meridian brackets ???

helterskelter400
29th July 2005, 12:36 PM
Hello all.

i'm moving up to a magellan meridian colour and need to work out a way to cheaply and securly mount it in the buggy and on the bike depending on the mode of exploration.

with my old gps ('98 magellan 2000xl), i just cabletied it down to a ally plate bracket thing i made and hey presto it works.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/helterskelter400/bike/40904f6e.jpg

looking at the new gps and comparing it to the old one is like, wow. the 2000xl is like a house brick and the meridian colour, well, isnt...

i dont think it will put up with the sort of "agricultural" mounting system of the old one and i dont know whether cable ties are the best thing for something so expensive...

i am still keen to make up the main mount system myslef and am after wise words on
-the cheapest way to get one or two of the proper base plate bracket things that clip onto the meridian and
-how securly they hold onto the gps, its not going to get ripped off by vegetation/viabration or stuff unless there's a major stack??

thanks

Craigus
29th July 2005, 12:41 PM
RAM-MOUNT (http://www.ram-mount.com)

yogie
29th July 2005, 01:01 PM
Check out the Merdian bike handle bar holder, these are very secure and cost $90, a bargin for a 600 + unit, I use mine on my quad and it dosent move

helterskelter400
29th July 2005, 01:55 PM
thanks for replies. am looking for prices for the simple ram mount cradle (below) US $10.39 retail. if cheap enough i can have one for the buggy and one for the bike and a bit of custom ally work for each actual mount. my local magellan guy wants $60 for the most basic magellan car mount thing and i'll still need to fab up a custom mount. we'll see......

GUDude
1st August 2005, 10:39 AM
Also try the **** Smith stores, they have the meridian swivel mounts for ~ $44 , I think the RRP is ~ $60. This could be modded for bike, buggy, boat & car.

arthurking83
19th August 2005, 08:58 PM
I tried just about every DSE in Melbourne for mounts about 2 weeks ago.
They don't stock them.
I got my windscreen mount, swivel mount and nylon carry case for $100 off ebay.
Very happy........Jan :cool:

michaeld
20th August 2005, 08:10 AM
I use a strip of inner tube (6mm wide) around the handle bar hasn't fallen off yet after about 50 crashes (I'm an expert crasher)