PDA

View Full Version : which program do you use?

antsan
28th September 2007, 11:07 AM
hi,
just wondering which program all you guys use for marine navigation?
Also would be interested to know what you are using it for such as fishing, yachting, or just staying afloat :hatoff

Michael
28th September 2007, 12:17 PM
Hi antsan
Sailing on Port Phillip. Addiction S16, an Inglis 37, very fast.
I only do Sat afternoon races, & during daylight savings Wed evenings. Addiction does most of the ocean races including Sydney Hobart or Melb Hobart.
Also sail & canoe on Gippsland lakes.
Canoe & row on Goulburn river.

OziExplorer is first choice, if I have the right maps/charts.
I have scanned & calibrated charts of Port Phillip & Wisons Prom.
Also have 1:50k maps of Gippsland lakes & 1:30k of parts of the lakes.

I have MemoryMap of Victoria, great maps, data is the same as the 1:30k from VicMap. MM is nowhere as flexible or easy to use program as Ozi.

Just bought $20 on eBay all the charts for USA. Came with a plotter program called SeaClear. Not sure abought it yet! But I can import the charts into Ozi.

Also just bought $100 eBay CMap charts for all Australian coast, cm93 vector format with a rather old viewing/plotter program CMapecs! Good charts, But even worse program than MM, I think Noah may have used it on the Ark, which is how he grounded on Mt Ararrat.
Since chart format is perculiar to CMap not sure if I can get them to work in anything else.

regards Michael

antsan
28th September 2007, 01:51 PM
micheal, i know addiction, she is a good fast yacht.
Which charts have you scanned for port phillip and westernport?? i have ozi explorer and was thinking of using this in the meantime, untill i decide what to use/whats best. Maybe i will continue to use if i get my hands on the right maps
Have used cmap in the past and hate it.
These days, just spending some time on the bay with my father.
both of us like gadgets, so he has the boat, i provide the computing. Onboard he has a chart plotter/though that cannot upload to pc. he also has a garmin legend/ so i was going to hook that up with some charts so i get the bigscreen and can take home to play/plan/review.

Still deciding on my gps purchase, as i will use it in the bush as well.

Nicko
28th September 2007, 04:05 PM
If any of you guys have but legit marine charts please create a new thread and sticky it so it is always at the top. New maps means new threads too. Thanks.

cisco
28th September 2007, 11:16 PM
hi,
just wondering which program all you guys use for marine navigation?
Also would be interested to know what you are using it for such as fishing, yachting, or just staying afloat :hatoff

I have been test driving the GlobalNav NavPak Pro demo download program for the last week. In my humble opinion, it is probably the best marine navigatiion program available.

To qualify this opinion I will state that I hold an MED1 certificate (USL Code coastal and limited offshore Marine Engineer) and a Master Class V (5) unrestricted Trading certificate. Not trying to beat my own drum here, just trying to save Nicko from answering questions that already have a reply.

My recommendation is download the trial version from www.globenav.com and test drive it. I am telling you now it is brilliant.

The download is actually the full program but needs the payment of US$299 to recieve the unlock code from the program verdors web site. (therefore no hardcopy of the program)

Correct me if I am mistaken Nicko, your retail price is AU$299 for a hard copy (disc) and you like doing deals.

Extra qualification here for those that have legit or pirated versions of C-Map and CM93 charts. Q. Will it open CM93 Charts?

A. Sorry No, (Direct from GlobeNav), so don't ask questions that have already been answered please.

So come on all you seafaring types let's put in a bulk order for this deal (Let's say 10) and I am sure Nicko will give us a great deal and **** his pants in the meantime. :jump1 :cool-smil

Nicko
28th September 2007, 11:31 PM
GlobeNav have a tendency to push the price up on new versions without telling me, thus I have to check up with them as to what my buy price is to the new version. I always like to make sure people are not ripped off but I must make a quid to keep sites like this going ;)

Michael
28th September 2007, 11:34 PM
If any of you guys have but legit marine charts please create a new thread and sticky it so it is always at the top. New maps means new threads too. Thanks.

Nicko, don't have a clue what this means.

I was answering antsan's question by listing what I have & use.
Which has all been bought & paid for, therefore legit as far as I am concerned.

regards Michael

cisco
28th September 2007, 11:39 PM
I know that like everybody else you have your own and yours interest at heart first. That's Gooood!! All we ask is to see what you can do.

Hit 'em with a deal!

antsan
29th September 2007, 09:20 AM
i might try the demo download tonight. thanks for the tip.

Anyone else using another program??

Nicko
29th September 2007, 11:22 AM
Nicko, don't have a clue what this means.

There are free maps on the net plus people may have co-ords of, say a sunken ship etc.

antsan
29th September 2007, 12:05 PM
I spent hours yesterday looking for free maps/charts... best i got was a chart drawn by mattew flinders 190 years ago!! fair bit of detail, but maybee a little old!! Surprised not to see a sketch of sea monsters on it! :mighty

Any links would be greatly appreciated!

Nev
29th September 2007, 01:11 PM
I spent hours yesterday looking for free maps/charts...
Any links would be greatly appreciated!
Here is a teaser (http://www.hydro.gov.au/seafarer/geotiff/geotiff-sample/geotiff-sample.htm).

Neville

Nicko
29th September 2007, 02:11 PM
I sent an email to that link site requesting the data should be supplied free for non commercial users but haven't heard from them yet, so I may call them next week.

antsan
30th September 2007, 12:51 AM
thanks for the link!!
any other marine users out there?

Michael, which program you using on addiction for long ocean races? eg hobart??

Michael
30th September 2007, 10:52 AM
The skipper is a strong believer in traditional nav, paper charts, accurate log recordings, dead reckoning & sextant sights.
I run my GPS60, as a backup & to record the track log to review with Ozi on the PC at home afterwards.
Addiction has a Navman 5380 Chartplotter. It just has the Australian base map, so very little chart detail, & we do not save any tracks from it.
We plot all marks of the course & other waypoints on the paper charts, then enter their lat/long into the Navman to display waypoints.
The Navman is linked to the ****pit instruments so we can set them to show distance & course to the next waypoint. As well as all the usual speed thru water, speed over ground, wind speed & direction, depth etc etc.
At any given time the skipper will note data & write it in the paper log.
In the Sydney Hobart they fit each yacht with a GPS that constantly transmits positions to the radio relay vessel, then it is posted in real time on the race website so anyone can check the yachts progress.
But for Melb Hobart, Apollo Bay etc we radio our position back at regular sched times.

regards Michael

vincentvega
8th January 2008, 03:31 PM
From the Global Nav site:

Using NavPak, you can quickly flip between C-Map, S-57 ENC and raster charts with the press of a key.

So it would appear C-Map will work with this software?

I have legit C-Map charts (on an MMC card in a lowrance GPS..)

Nicko
8th January 2008, 04:10 PM
It says it does, If you want a legit copy of NavPak let me know.

Pete Palmer
10th January 2008, 02:40 AM
G'day all,

What program do I use? Pencil me in for NavPak. I'm the author, LOL. :lol2

Thanks Nicko for the invite to join your forum and thanks Cisco for the NavPak endorsement. I will be a regular here and will be happy to answer any questions about NavPak & MapSetup.

Lets start with questions already asked:

<< cm93 vector format with a rather old viewing/plotter program CMapecs >>
NavPak is not directly compatible with cm93. We have inquired with C-Map to support CM93 to no avail. Our license with C-MAP is for the NT and MAX formats. I don't think they are issueing any licenses for the old CM93 format.

<< So come on all you seafaring types let's put in a bulk order for this deal (Let's say 10) and I am sure Nicko will give us a great deal >>
Absolutely, we can offer the old dealer price to Nicko and an additional fleet discount for 10 copies. He sent me an email today, so I will reply shortly with details about that.

<< Nicko
GlobeNav have a tendency to push the price up on new versions without telling me, thus I have to check up with them as to what my buy price is to the new version. >>
Sorry we didn't notify you before. We have not notified all the resellers yet. We did increase the price posted on our website in the last month, as a marketing test, but we have not increased the dealer prices yet, so we will honor the old price to Nicko until we make a formal announcement.

The formal announcement and price increase is slated to happen in mid Feburary. This is the first price increase in 7 years and we don't plan another price increase for a few years. Any price increases will be less than 7% per year and we will always honor the resellers old price until after a 30 day notice..

Thanks again Nicko and group for your continued support of NavPak.

If you have any questions about NavPak or MapSetup, I will be happy to help.
Regards,
Pete Palmer
Global Navigation Software Company
www.globenav.com