PDA

View Full Version : DAST Topo on SD HELP REQUIRED

fastandfurious
30th September 2007, 04:26 PM
I accidently cleared the memory on my Explorist 600.

The display screen states "THE UNIT CURRENTLY CONTAINS NO MAP! INITIATING MAP UPLOAD.”

Does INITIATING MAP UPLOAD mean the unit is recovering these files (INITIATING MAP UPLOAD has been displayed on the screen for about 2 hours now?

Have I deleted the DAST Topo maps off the preloaded SD card?

What options do I have now?

Do I have to purchase a brand new DAST Topo on SD or will Next Destination copy it back on to the SD card for a small fee?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

__________________________________________________ ___

I just pulled out the SD card out of the Explorist unit and put it in my computers card reader. All Australia state maps are listed under detailed maps.

No maps are listed under Background maps.

I am unable to turn the unit off using the on/off button. I pulled the battery out and the unit displayed BASE MAP SECURITY ERROR, after clicking ok the unit displayed INITIATING MAP UPLOAD.

Any ideas?

Nicko
30th September 2007, 05:49 PM
Next Destination will fix the SD card up for you. Their phone number is 08 9444 233. They do do this service and I think it is because they don't supply a backup CD. As to your other problems I am not sure but someone will I am sure.

fastandfurious
30th September 2007, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the reply Nicko,

As the card reader from my computer indicated that all the STATE MAPS are under the DETAILED MAP folders I assume they have not been deleted.

I have since managed to upload them into MapSend Lite so they are on the SD card and have not been deleted as initially thought.

MY MAIN CONCERN NOW IS:
I am unable to turn the unit off using the on/off button. Once I pull the battery out and turn the power on the unit displays BASE MAP SECURITY ERROR, after clicking ok the unit displayed INITIATING MAP UPLOAD. I am unable to enter any other screen.

Any ideas?

mlenser
30th September 2007, 11:04 PM
Hello fastandfurious,
Does this happen all the time or only when the DAST SD card is inserted and the unit switched on?

Regards
Mike.

bluezooky
1st October 2007, 08:47 AM
You'll find a list of hotkeys at: http://rhamphorinkx.newmail.ru/sf.htm
maybe try resetting the unit to it's defaults and see what happens.

fastandfurious
1st October 2007, 05:45 PM
Hi mlenser and bluezooky,

Mlenser the message "THE UNIT CURRENTLY CONTAINS NO MAP! INITIATING MAP UPLOAD” appears when the DAST Topo SD card is either inserted or removed.
Bluezooky thanks for the link. I visited the site (HEAPS OF SPYWEAR BEWARE!!!) I can’t even get into the special functions section even trying with the power on and off.
I think the problem is I have deleted the Base Map.
Can anyone help?

mlenser
1st October 2007, 07:22 PM
The message "THE UNIT CURRENTLY CONTAINS NO MAP! INITIATING MAP UPLOAD” appears when the DAST Topo SD card is either inserted or removed.
I think the problem is I have deleted the Base Map.
Hi fastandfurious,
I think your right that you've somehow damaged/deleted your base map. I think if I was you I would do as Nicko suggested and phone up Next Destination (Nicko provided the phone number above). They should be able to tell you what options you have but I'm guessing you'll have to send the unit to them for reprogramming. Be warned that if its not an Australian model they may charge heftily for reprogramming with an Australian base map (or so I read somewhere).
In all the time I've been reading this forum I haven't heard of anyone being able to upload an Australian base map to their Magellan gps so I don't think your chance of one of us being able to help you are good. Then again I'm a newbie with only some Garmin experience so I can't say for sure. Anyway, good luck.

Regards
Mike

fastandfurious
1st October 2007, 07:51 PM
Hi Mlenser,

I attempted to call them Magellan today but no one responded (Queens Birthday Public Holliday in WA). I will try again tomorrow. I purchased the unit here so there shounld be no problem.

If anyone has a base map they can copy then email me from their 600 I would be grateful as I still am able to access my files on the GPS unit via the usb connection. As mentioned there is no base map in the Base map folder so I assume that is my problem.

Stuart
14th October 2007, 01:25 PM
Hi
This may help, the base map for my Explorist Xl appears to be a hidden system file, you could try "add background map from GPS" using Map Send, if this is succsefull your unit still has the default background map in memory.

The DAST topo SD card also holds a background map this is a more detailed background map than the one stored in internal memory, but is also a hidden system file, from what i have learnt the detailed background map from the SD card cannot be loaded unless the internal memory background map is present.

The DAST SD card also ships with the write tab in the open position so unles you have changed this you can't delete files from your SD card.

The base map in internal memory for my XL can not be copied, as it appears to be a hidden sytem file.

When clearing memory only the following can be cleared Track History, POI/Routes, Routes and all, from this menu you can reset your receiver back to factory defaults even if you clear ALL.
Have you tried the reset default option to reset your receiver using the menu screen?

Hope this has helped somewhat.

michaeld
14th October 2007, 03:22 PM
I copied the basemap folder from my 600 to the 500 SD card and told the unit to use the SD basemap and it seems to work