PDA

View Full Version : Magellan + Oziexplorer = ??

junek
1st August 2005, 03:19 PM
Hi all, im new to this site and GPS, so im trying to understand all this info and im getting a little confused!! haha.
anyway, i've just ordered a Magellan Explorist 500 (similar to the meridian colour i think) and im wondering what else i will need to get navigating.
will i be able to buy a copy of oziexplorer then download maps off this site and load them to my GPS via the 256SD card?? I hope so! or will i need other stuff too?
In the end i just want some good detailed maps on my GPS to use when flying (paragliding) and going away on trips. Would it be easier to just buy DiscoverAus and thats it?

thanks for any replies
jamie

Pluto
1st August 2005, 03:36 PM
i've just ordered a Magellan Explorist 500Good. If you had got the 300 or less you would be stuck with what you've got.
will i be able to buy a copy of oziexplorer then download maps off this site and load them to my GPS via the 256SD card?? I hope so! or will i need other stuff too?Bad news... The answer is No.

The Magellan GPS (most mapping GPS units) and OziExplorer use very different map formats. Unfortunately you're limited to the maps supplied with the Magellan MapSend software, to upload and download the maps to the GPS. Magellan are about to release Discover Aus II, which would be worth considering.

Don't discard the idea of OziExplorer, because it's navigation data management and editing capabilities are far superior to Discover Aus. The variety of maps that can be used with Ozi is huge. You will also be able to share waypoints, tracks and route data more easily, because of MapSend's limited acceptance as a data sharing format.

bushie
1st August 2005, 09:12 PM
Ozi is a good bit of software you just have to appreciate that some of its features are not intuitive.

Pluto
1st August 2005, 09:57 PM
Ozi is a good bit of software you just have to appreciate that some of its features are not intuitive.
Yep. But don't let that put you off Jamie. The learning curve is all part of the adventure and there are plenty of places you can get assistance. Like this forum.

junek
2nd August 2005, 07:58 AM
thanks for the info guys, its all getting a little clearer.!
let me see if iv'e got this right......so Ozi is good for looking at maps and tracks on the computer, but the maps can not be used on the gps while out in the field
and discoverAus is good for using on the autual gps in the field, but is not as detailed when looking at your data at home on the putta.
if thats the case, i guess i'll start with discoverAus so i can navigate, then Ozi later to study my tracks on the computer.
discoverAus II...i'll be chucking that in google right now. any idea when it will come out and $$
thanks
jamie

gammapisigma
2nd August 2005, 08:10 AM
Check out this (http://www.nextdestination.com.au/news/) link.

Mike

Pluto
2nd August 2005, 09:21 AM
let me see if iv'e got this right......so Ozi is good for looking at maps and tracks on the computer, but the maps can not be used on the gps while out in the field and discoverAus is good for using on the autual gps in the field, but is not as detailed when looking at your data at home on the putta.You've almost got it. Both DiscAus and OziExplorer can be used for supporting the GPS in fin the field using "moving map mode". This means you connect the GPS to the PC and feed the GPS data to the application in real time. The app (either Mapsend or Ozi) will then follow your position on screen.

The two packages use different format maps. Only the DiscAus maps can actually be loaded onto the GPS.

Both packages support nav data management (waypoints, routes & tracks), but Ozi does it much better. Ozi is also able to display maps in many different graphical formats(.bmp,.png,.jpg,.gif,.tif,.ecw,.bsb etc.). It also has its own proprietory graphical format to support Ozi CE, which you can use on a PDA.

if thats the case, i guess i'll start with discoverAus so i can navigate, then Ozi later to study my tracks on the computer.Sounds like a plan...

discoverAus II...i'll be chucking that in google right now. any idea when it will come out and $$You should be able to find DiscAus II in the stores, any day now. I have no idea about price I don't have a Magellan GPS. I just get to use freinds units from time to time. IMHO DiscAus sucks! But it is the only software that supports the Magellan on board mapping.

michaeld
2nd August 2005, 10:51 AM
Is discoveraus II the same as discoveraus topo and how do we have moving map on discoveraus

Pluto
2nd August 2005, 11:54 AM
Is discoveraus II the same as discoveraus topo and how do we have moving map on discoverausDiscAus is basically a detailed road map.

DiscAusII includes topgraphic data.

There's details of the new release on the distributors site (http://www.nextdestination.com.au/news/)

yogie
2nd August 2005, 12:00 PM
discoverAus II...i'll be chucking that in google right now. any idea when it will come out and $$ thanks jamie

I've just done the search thing in Discover Aus and its a pre loaded 512 sd card, well I want one and when this site be selling them??? I use the discover aus1 and the mapping petters out around the centre of Aus. One other point will this suit the Merridian "YELLOW" GPS.

Pluto
2nd August 2005, 12:02 PM
Is discoveraus II the same as discoveraus topo and how do we have moving map on discoverausSorry I just realised the significance of the question... Yes they are one and the same. Next Destination have been pushing the name Dicover Aus II until very recently.

I had overlooked that they have given the name a face lift (so to speak :) )

Pluto
2nd August 2005, 12:11 PM
I've just done the search thing in Discover Aus and its a pre loaded 512 sd card, well I want one and when this site be selling them???I'm looking forward to seeing what Shady comes up with too.

I use the discover aus1 and the mapping petters out around the centre of Aus. One other point will this suit the Merridian "YELLOW" GPS.Can the ex200 take an SD card? I didn't think it had any I/O capabilities.

junek
2nd August 2005, 04:37 PM
thanks guys, you have been very helpful, i think i finally get it!!
DiscoverAus id the only mapping software available to load onto my gps unit and use when im out in the bush.
looks like i'll be in the market for dis II. more spending. yay!
thanks again
jamie

davea1963
18th August 2005, 11:23 AM
I'm using the Garmin Mapsource software that came with my Garmin eTrex Legend C and the first version of the Tracks4 Australia maps that I downloaded via GPSOZ's website using this link:

http://www.gpsoz.com.au/tracks4australia/downloads/Tracks4Australia%20(1.10).exe

I am getting pretty detailed road maps including dirt roads and trails. Not as good as topo's, but good enough for my job which involves visiting about 60 remote Aboriginal Communities throughout the NT. I chose the whole of the NT and the edges of the surrounding states, and it came to about 11Mb which I then uploaded to the GPS - that took very little time. That leaves me 13Mb for tracks, which I hope will be sufficient.

Mapsource software is easy to use and appears (to my virginal eyes :rolleyes: to be quite powerful) I was up and using it very quickly.

Note: The install of the Tracks4Australia so easy - it tells you that you MUST have Mapsource installed first, and then it, I assume, goes and finds the install and adds the maps. Dead easy!

It look like I can also hook up my GPS via the laptop and track my course directly into Mapsource. Is that correct gurus?

arthurking83
18th August 2005, 09:38 PM
For anybody else out there that just has to load maps on some magellans, I have found an alternative method.
They are much less 'intuitive' than similar routines for a Garmin, but they exist :D
I've as yet been unable to send (read; too afraid I'll stuff the MeriColor) maps to the receiver, but I have made a small amount of progress in viewing and editing the maps on the PC, thanks to Mikhail and freinds!
If only I could overcome the fear that the Meridian will spontaneously combust, if I hit the SEND button :eek:

Trevor_S
19th August 2005, 08:32 PM
For anybody else out there that just has to load maps on some magellans, I have found an alternative method.

If you mean create your own detail maps for use with the Meridians ? I have been doing it for some time (18 months or so ?) and the procedure is relatively staright foward once you have done it a couple times.

IMO it's a case of having to as I have yet to come across what I would consider decent vector mapping for my use, available on a GPS unit in Aus.

michaeld
19th August 2005, 08:39 PM
Trevor are you using your tracks to make maps or what

arthurking83
19th August 2005, 08:52 PM
.............. as I have yet to come across what I would consider decent vector mapping for my use, available on a GPS unit in Aus.

Are you using MMO?
What map data and where are you getting it from?
ie is it vector or are you converting raster to vector?

cheers.

I have just started to get some of the concepts of creating the maps, and laying it down on the PC screen to visualise it but it seems tedious.
I'm still waiting to get a copy of the new DiscAus Topo software.
I only got my meridian 3-4 weeks ago or so.
I need more info, feel free to email/message me anytime.