PDA

View Full Version : first gps, eTrex Legend?

Rough60
1st August 2005, 08:54 PM
Hi all,
I'll keep it short, I'm after my first gps, used for 80% 4WD 20%Boat.
Would like to have:
Beeper
12V cigi lighter power supply
PC interface port
Ext. Aerial compatible
at least:
500 waypoints
20 routes
1000 track points
I think it has about 8Mb of programable memory, is this enough?
I've got a limit of about $300.
I will be using Ozi aswell.
Is the legend a good choice, or should I wait a few more months and get a colour one with all the bells and whistles? (I don't think I need more than what I've stated above)
cheers, thanks for the help.
Luke.

Ralf the RR
1st August 2005, 10:11 PM
Hi Rough60,
You have the same requirements as me.
I was heading down the Magellan Meridian Colour path (probably ebay for 500ish).

However, I also considered a PDA or laptop.
I have finally decided on a PDA with external GPS Receiver, and car charger (although I haven't bought anything yet).

What swayed me was screen size.
I made cardboard cutouts of a Meridian, a PDA, and a handhelp laptop (Jornada 820), each about the right size, showing the screen size.
I sat them all on the dash, and the PDA came out the winner.

I reckon I can get a second hand PDA for about 200, a receiver for 100ish, and a charger/adapter cable for 15.
I already have OziExplorer, so just need to get OziExplorer CE.

The only downsize will be battery operating time (hopefully the charger/adapter will solve this) and the rough pounding in the boat.

Pluto
1st August 2005, 10:20 PM
It depends what maps you want to run on it. 8Mb is fairly limited these days. and you will probably need to be prepared to reload maps on longer trips.

Rough60
2nd August 2005, 02:04 PM
Ralf the RR. At first I wanted a PDA but seen a few get damaged by spray on boats.

Pluto. How much memory would say is necessary and can the preinstalled maps downloaded to pc to have more room for uploading?

cheers guys

Pluto
2nd August 2005, 02:34 PM
How much memory would say is necessary and can the preinstalled maps downloaded to pc to have more room for uploading?Depends on what maps you want to run. Tracks4Australia V1.1 is a little under 40MB and covers the country, So you would be able to get most of 1 state loaded into 8MB. I'm not sure how big Metroguide is, so I can't give you an estimate for it. City Nav 6 is around 180MB.

The base maps are part of the firmware and can't be downloaded. but I believe they don't use any of the advertised 8MB.

Rough60
2nd August 2005, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the info pluto, i think i saw a eTrex website, not a commercial one, I think it was a forum similar to this. I'll try and find it again and have a look there.
Thanks again
Rough60

Shady
2nd August 2005, 04:27 PM
Not sure about the eTrex base maps but the magellan base map is just over 6mb and if you wanted to use Discover Aus on a SD card, NSW needs about 32mb, the whole of the country can fit on a 256mb SD memory card.
The Legend will do all that you want but for my money I'd be looking at Magellan
Quite a bit dearer but for instance with the Meridian Marine you would have the best of both worlds, all the benefits of a full mapping GPS with the added bonus of the marine features.

Just my opinion.

Pluto
2nd August 2005, 05:14 PM
...Meridian Marine...Good point Shady.

Both the Meridians and the Explorists are worth considering.

I'm going another direction (be it more expensive again), as I'm about to get a Garmin GPSMAP 276c which has both automotive and marine navigation modes. The marine mode also has all the features you would want for offroad navigation after the autoroute maps end.

BTW Shady, Any chance of having one on the shelf by the end of the month?

Shady
2nd August 2005, 06:05 PM
Good point Shady.

Garmin GPSMAP 276c .....BTW Shady, Any chance of having one on the shelf by the end of the month?

There's a very good chance.. I'm meeting with Garmin tomorrow morning.

Jeddz
3rd August 2005, 07:21 PM
I chose the legend for economy reasons and I'm getting what i need from it.

Yesterday I was lost as a newborn in the Wattagans and the GPS led me out.
I will add that an external arial might mave been of benefit but I couldn't carry one anyway. Most important feature for me is finding current position and tracking back. The legend mapping always puts me within a few k's of a main road.

Your choice.

Jeddz
3rd August 2005, 07:26 PM
There's a very good chance.. I'm meeting with Garmin tomorrow morning.

While your at it ol' Shady one. Get them to sort a decent driver for my Macintosh. I am told the people at Apple are aiming to sort Ozi for Mac.

So far we few Mac users are out in the cold. :(

Shady
3rd August 2005, 10:32 PM
Garmin GPSMAP 276c which has both automotive and marine navigation modes.
BTW Shady, Any chance of having one on the shelf by the end of the month?

Met with Garmin this morning. Will have stock by end of month and I'll make sure there is a GPSMAP276c for Pluto. Not sure of prices yet. But we will be very competitive.

Pluto
3rd August 2005, 10:33 PM
I chose the legend for economy reasons and I'm getting what i need from it.

Yesterday I was lost as a newborn in the Wattagans and the GPS led me out.
I will add that an external arial might mave been of benefit but I couldn't carry one anyway. Most important feature for me is finding current position and tracking back. The legend mapping always puts me within a few k's of a main road.

Your choice.Fair enough Jeddz. And the Legend will do all of that quite nicely, plus more. I currently use an Etrex Summit. For me the biggest limitation with it is not having a base map.

I'm using my GPS a little differently, in that I am preplanning my route in unfamiliar territory and then using the GPS to get me there. However, the plan usually has to be adjusted on the run, when I come up against obstacles that arenít shown on my collection of maps and an alternative path around needs to be found. That's when the onboard maps become really worthwhile.

Pluto
3rd August 2005, 10:41 PM
...I'll make sure there is a GPSMAP276c for Pluto...Thanks Shady. Looking forward to it. The only reason I haven't got it yet is, I want to get the TRS on it when I fly out at the end of September, so I have to wait a few more weeks to make the purchase.

However, one of the local retailers has also been very helpful with advice and past service, so your price will have to be pretty good to have me turn my back on the local support.

Rough60
4th August 2005, 07:43 PM
Hi guys
I ended up getting the Meridian Marine, Very happy with.
Thanks to every one esp. Shady.
Cheers