PDA

View Full Version : Need Your help with Maps

madanmorris
23rd October 2007, 08:57 AM
I bought a GPS system from Ebay. The unit came from china. Its none of the major brands, its a chinese manufactured brand called just GPS.

It was said that the unit will be loaded with latest Australian maps. But when i received , i see that it is loaded with a older version of Route66 Australian maps.

How can i update this to latest version? Are there any free maps that i can get and load? Are all maps and POIs compatible with all type of units, or are they system specific.

I need some good guidance on this, thats why i am here. Thanks.

madanmorris
23rd October 2007, 10:09 AM
someone please help.

bshwckr
23rd October 2007, 11:33 AM
someone please help.

We need some more info on the unit.
Operating system, SD card, USB etc. Perhaps a link to an eBay page where the unit can be viewed

If the device runs WindowsCE in the background, you should have some options.
Cheers
bshwckr

Nicko
23rd October 2007, 01:26 PM
The other option is to ask the seller for the latest maps. But accept the fact you don't have a legit copy as well. If anything you will have to buy a legit copy of route66.

madanmorris
23rd October 2007, 06:02 PM
ohhh, I will provide a link to a similar product from ebay. Can you please tell me what maps i can use, whether i can get any free ones, or do i have to pay, and how much will it cost etc.

Link below:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120174168564&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RCRX_Pr12_PcY_BID_Stores_IT&refitem=120174169673&itemcount=12&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

If the above link doesnt work, then try the detail below

Item number: 120174168564

Thanks for all the help.

Wahroonga Farm
23rd October 2007, 06:10 PM
Removed :)

Nicko
23rd October 2007, 08:43 PM
Unless it is a Garmin or a TomTom from China it is going to have an illegal copy of TomTom or Route 66 software, FULL STOP!

Nicko
23rd October 2007, 08:53 PM
Theoretically any posting or link that encourages people to download or copy illegal copies of any program can be and will be removed from this forum. I would advise anyone to realise that ebay is a haven for criminals and it is without doubt that free downloadable copies of street maps other than the ones we know are legit such as Open Streets or the free version for NZ are illegal copies. What these links show are people selling hardware with street navigation software but not legit copies. It is the same as going to the markets and buying a dirt cheap PC with Windows on it but not supplied the geniune CD.

It is cutting a fine line when posters link to ebay showing hardware with street navigation software at prices that clearly indicate the software is illegal. :soapbox

ACC01
25th October 2007, 03:33 PM

It is cutting a fine line when posters link to ebay showing hardware with street navigation software at prices that clearly indicate the software is illegal. :soapbox

Im pretty sure he doesnt know, Thats why he is asking for help.

the evil twin
26th October 2007, 09:59 AM
Im pretty sure he doesnt know, Thats why he is asking for help.

I tend to agree and I also agree with Nicko's sentiments pretty much...being an ardent Ebayer myself, I tend to restrict my purchases to Aussie vendors with high visibilty IE companies or outlets trading on the web with Aussie credentials, ABN's etc. Anyway giving Madanmorris the benefit of the doubt as he did indicate a willingness to pay....

M and M...
What you have is a cheap (emphasis) on cheap chinese knockoff with illegal software and zero support available in Australia. A lot of people will be very reluctant to help beyond suggesting that as it runs Windows, Route 66 and uses an SD card, if you fork out for a legit copy of Route 66 software and register it then it may update and work OK.

As to free copies of maps...Sorry, but I'm siding with Nicko on that one...