PDA

View Full Version : Navman iCN635 (Why so much?)

Difflockdave
3rd August 2005, 09:22 AM
Gang, I am only a newbie so please bare with me as this may be a silly question. I am in Australia.

Can anyone tell me why the Navman iCN635 is so much more expensive than the 510 and the 610. The 610 looks to be almost the same but without a remote control and a smaller screen. The price difference I have seen has been in excess of $600-$700.
Is it $700 better?

Are there better devices on the market? TomTom? Garmin?
I currently use Garmin eMap (About 6 years old), I am just thinking of upgrading but a lot has changed in 6 years.

Thanks

MikeAus
7th August 2005, 09:02 AM
Just the map data costs so much in Australia.

In America all this software is much cheaper because the Government makes most of it available for free. The government figures that since taxpayers paid to have it created they shouldn't have to pay to use it.

Difflockdave
8th August 2005, 01:48 PM
Just the map data costs so much in Australia.

In America all this software is much cheaper because the Government makes most of it available for free. The government figures that since taxpayers paid to have it created they shouldn't have to pay to use it.

Thanks Mike, Looks like that kills the Navman.
I will start looking at the Garmins, TomTom etc, I hope they fare better.

Shady
8th August 2005, 04:25 PM
We will have Tom Tom's available in the online store within a couple of weeks.
Off the top of my head they will be priced at $1090 for the GO 300 and 1190 for the GO 500. I have heard nothing but good reports about them.

MikeAus
8th August 2005, 06:58 PM
This site shows that mapping software for Australia costs more than twice as much as for USA and nearly twice as muchas for all of Western Europe countries.
www.buygpsnow.com/category.aspx?categoryID=13