PDA

View Full Version : Deleted Basemap HELP

myilux
6th November 2007, 05:34 AM
Hi All
I somehow managed to delete the basemap of my 600, i have a backup copy but it wont reload it to the memory. It just copies the file for a while then stops a come up with an 'I/O ERROR'.

Please Help

The Explorer
6th November 2007, 07:48 AM
Hi All
I somehow managed to delete the basemap of my 600, i have a backup copy but it wont reload it to the memory. It just copies the file for a while then stops a come up with an 'I/O ERROR'.

Please Help

Hello - The only time I have ever got I/0 errors was when there was insufficent memory available on GPS to load a map. Maybe the basemap you say is gone is still there but corrupt ..or something. Are you loading the basemap with original name ie basemap.img - this should overwrite existing basemap if it is still present. If you load the basemap with a different name eg Ausbasemap.img the orginal file will be retained but possibly insufficient memory for two..hence error message.

Cheers
Greg

Nicko
6th November 2007, 09:46 AM
There are topics on how to reset the Magellan see if you can locate them by doing a search

Rod Andrews
18th December 2008, 06:52 PM
Hey Nicko - I know this was a couple of years ago - but did you manage to re-load your basemap? - I've just done the same thing to my explorist 400 - copies for a while and then I get some DOS error thing?

Rod

mlenser
18th December 2008, 07:01 PM
I'd do a search for Magellan Basemap as I remember reading how some people were changing to the Australian Basemap but as I don't own a Magellan I didn't take much notice.

The Explorer
18th December 2008, 09:54 PM
Hey Nicko - I know this was a couple of years ago - but did you manage to re-load your basemap? - I've just done the same thing to my explorist 400 - copies for a while and then I get some DOS error thing?

Rod

What is the "dos error thing" message. What file are you tryng to paste (name and size) and to where are you trying to copy it (folder). How are you doing it (usb?).

Cheers
Greg

Rod Andrews
19th December 2008, 05:14 AM
Yeah I'm doing via a USB - I removed the original basemap and put it on my PC (WHY DID i DO THAT!)-and I'm simply trying to move it back. It copies for a while and then with about 20 secs remaining it comes up with this error

The Explorer
19th December 2008, 07:00 AM
Ok
Two suggestions
Plan A. Copy the basemap to an SD card and put it in device and turn on - this may stabilise things and allow you to copy basemap to internal memory. The SD card must have same folder structure as internal memory i.e if the following folders are not on SC card put them on yourself

Background Maps
Detail Maps
Geocaches
My POIs
Routes
Track Logs

Copy the basemap to the Background Maps folder, put in back in GPS and see what happens.

Plan B. Download Magellans vanatgePoint software. This allows you to copy basemaps (and detailed maps) to and from GPS. Try that and see what happens. Get VantagePoint 1.52 here..

http://www.tritonforum.com/downloads.html

Let us know how it goes. I recall saving an eXplorist using the SD card method but it was a while ago and cant remember specifics.

Cheers
Greg

Rod Andrews
19th December 2008, 08:37 AM
Yep this worked - (although I haven't copied the BASEMAP back onto the internal memory at this point),its now operational, whereas before I couldn't even turn it off without removing the battery! Thanks for your help, although it does lead me to another question -
Do I need to transfer it to the internal memory, or is it fine on the SD Card?

Secondly, I plan to use it for bushwalking in Tasmaina, so what sort of software do I need for this kind of thing?

Thanks again for your help

The Explorer
19th December 2008, 08:55 AM
Yep this worked - (although I haven't copied the BASEMAP back onto the internal memory at this point),its now operational, whereas before I couldn't even turn it off without removing the battery! Thanks for your help, although it does lead me to another question -
Do I need to transfer it to the internal memory, or is it fine on the SD Card?

Secondly, I plan to use it for bushwalking in Tasmaina, so what sort of software do I need for this kind of thing?

Thanks again for your help

Hi - great stuff. I suppsoe if gps is running Ok there is no need for basemap on internal memory though would do it anyway as in long term it is proabably better option eg scenario - sd card fails when in bush - unit may not work :(

Not sure what you mean by "software" - do you mean for upload download of data or for detailed maps for you gps?

Limited choices for maps on eXplorist - as far as current detailed (street level) maps go you have to buy an SD card with preloaded maps from magellan dealer. Not actaully sure thay have eXplorist version anymore. Other option is older CD version fo DAST (v1) no idea if copies still for sale anywhere. Pop up on ebay sometimes. Then there is the "free" Oliver shonky maps for Magellan (see forum thread here somewhere) - not sure if it has level of detail for bushwalking ..but maybe better than nothing.

Greg

dingoking
12th January 2009, 03:15 PM
Could send a copy if required :sick1

darylr
13th January 2009, 06:08 AM
Hi Rod,

You could also look at "Festy's OSM maps for Magellan" thread and download the tas.imi map and check what detail is on the OSM map. I am using the nsw.imi map for my area and find it is good but is still lacking in out of town areas (forest tracks). The OSM map is growing with detail as GPSites upload their tracks to OSM.

:goodluck

Darylr