PDA

View Full Version : PSP Charger for Explorist 500?

Chadley
11th November 2007, 07:35 PM
Have been looking for a 12v charger for my 500 when I noticed my son's charger for his PSP has a very similar (if not the same) plug as the Explorist.
The 240v charger for the PSP states 100-240v 0.3A 50/60Hz 5Vcc 2000mA.
My battery in the 500 is a 1300mA 3.7V.
The battery in the PSP is an 1800mA 3.6V.

Can someone with more knowledge of electronics tell me if the "plug's" are the same, will the 240V and 12V charger work on my 500. :scratchch

Ta
Chadley

Chadley
12th November 2007, 10:11 AM
Found this on the Yahoo Explorist group which confirms what I asked.
Apparently a Motorola battery works fine as well, though there is a disclaimer of "do at you own risk".
The entire document is worth reading if you have an Explorist.

http://bevhoward.com/Mer2ExplTrans.htm#Batt

Ta
Chadley

arthurking83
17th November 2007, 05:32 AM
G'day Chadley.

All LiIon batteries run at around 3.6volts per cell(so if you see a device that requires 7.2volts or 11 volts(10.8v rounded up) you know that they simply have multiple cells for durability.

Every LiIon battery that I've come across seems to need 5volts to charge, or at least that how many volts the charger outputs.

I seriously don't think you will damage the GPS with using the PSP charger. I'm not too sure on how the electronics of the battery/GPS will work to know if the battery is fully charged and let the charger know when to stop charging???

I dare say that it will work, but as I don't have an explorist to play with I can't give a definitive answer.

All I can say is give it a whirl, at least until the unit begins to billow some smoke!! :oops

Seriously I highly doubt that the GPS or battery will get damaged, but there may be some issues with the electronics in knowing when the battery is fully charged and hence may not fully charge or overcharge. If you keep an eye on it and check it every hour(how long does it take to fully charge?) I think you'll be OK.

:goodluck

Nicko
17th November 2007, 10:54 AM
Welcome Back AK :wave