PDA

View Full Version : how do I transfer a basemap to my explorist

fishberley
6th December 2007, 10:50 AM
Hi, I have a Basemap that I am trying to transfer to my Explorist 600 XL.
It is a .rar file, can someone let me know how I do this ?
I have connected the GPS (via USB cable) and the GPS shows that it is in "USB File Transfer Mode", but I carn't seem to work out the steps required to do the transfer.
I assume that I am trying to transfer it to the internal memory of the GPS instead of the normal way you transfer maps to the SD Card ?
Any help appreciated....

regards, Fishberley.

Nicko
6th December 2007, 11:06 AM
I assume you have unzipped it from it's .rar format? if you do not have an .rar unzipper tupe in .rar in the search and there are links to downloading the program. don't forget to add teh dot infront of the rar. in the search

fishberley
6th December 2007, 11:28 AM
I wish I knew more about computers, then I might know what you just suggested.....

Do I use winrar or winzip to change the .rar file ???

Please be gentle with me in your explainations of what I need to do...
If possible can you/anyone talk me thru the steps that I need to follow.

regards, Tim.

Nicko
6th December 2007, 02:53 PM
winzip doesn't open .rar zipped files, as I mentioned, in the search bar type in .rar and include the dot. It will lead you to the part of the forum where links are available for the program unzip .rar files

fishberley
8th December 2007, 06:10 PM
Have now got the Basemap loaded onto the GPS.

Very handy to have both DAST, and the Australian Basemap.
Also have the Magellan BlueNav SD card, not sure what else I could possibly need on my Explorist (just need more time to get out and use it).

I have found this site to be the best way to find out information or get practical answers to any problem I have encountered with my GPS.
The simplest of problems tend to become major hassles when you have no idea what you are doing !!!

Merry Xmas to you all.............