PDA

View Full Version : Where to find towns data?

Drew_au
5th August 2005, 08:08 PM
Hi all,

I'm wondering where I can find Australian Towns location data in a plain (not Ozi) format. I want to experiment with creating *.gpx (open format) files.

I need something like http://members.optusnet.com.au/~link_jt_1/namesearch.html but not *.nst files.

I'm using GPSBabel and I'm trying to create a list of towns for use in GPSDash.

Any help would be appreciated. I've tried a bit of a Google search to no avail, then again, by head is a bit foggy this week.

Cheers,

Drew.

festy
5th August 2005, 09:13 PM
This sort of thing?
It's a tab delimited text file, fields are place name, decimal lat, decimal lon.
There's about 9,600 towns included.

Drew_au
5th August 2005, 09:33 PM
Thanks for that Festy.

I went on a bit of a post frenzy, so there is a reply/request in another thread.

I couldn't get the file to translate using GPSBabel, but I'm not thinking straight tonight and didn't give it all that much effort.

GPSBabel says it will import OziExplorer files, but I tried the .nst files listed and it spat out garbage.

Maybe I need some more sleep!

I've been home sick most of the week, what sucks about being home sick is that my head isn't clear and I can't use the time effectively to get on with other things like study or GPS stuff. I wish I had a broken leg, maybe that would be better.

Bah,

Drew.

festy
5th August 2005, 09:34 PM
so you're just after it in gpx format?

Drew_au
5th August 2005, 09:46 PM
so you're just after it in gpx format?
yes Kinda. I wanted to fiddle around and see what could be done.

I think I touched on what I was after in another forum: I'd like to be able to have the GPS/PDA in the car or in the aircraft, and run a query on a town. My old Magellan had that feature, real handy. It would be good to always have all Aussie (or NSW) towns in the unit, maybe I could load new towns for a specific area before heading off on a trip. (Looks like Ozi does this)

Also want moving map, with different levels of detail available. Also would like the ability to download tracks for later viewing. Would also like a nice all in one paramater display like what GPSDash does, heaps of gauges and stuff.

Looks like Ozi is going to be the way to go - just wanted to see if it could be done with GPSDash.

Man, I'm outa my tree - too many painkiller and stuff.....

Rambling on too much - might go to bed.....

:) :o

Drew.

festy
5th August 2005, 09:52 PM
here it is in gpx format.

Drew_au
6th August 2005, 12:30 AM
Thanks for putting that file together Festy.

I've given up on GPSDash. It takes AGES to run with that file installed and when I put it in map mode it doesn't like the file and crashes. It looks like I ain't gonna get it to do what I want. It's not the most stable bit of software either, even before trying this new waypoints file I'd lost count of the number of times it had crashed. I read somewhere that becuase it was written under .NET framework it was a bit of a dog. So far, Ozi hasn't even looked like crashing once. Looks like GPSDash is good as pretty decoration with all it's dials and stuff.

So Ozi it is then maybe.

Can Ozi do what I was talking about with a towns database? I notice it is limited to 1000 waypoints, does this mean you can only load ~1000 towns in the area you need, leaving a bit of space for user waypoints?

My old Magellan dealt with towns as POIs, they were non-editable from the GPS unit, and they were kept separate. Can Ozi do this? (It's probably in the documentation, I'm still reading my way through it.)

Thanks again for your efforts.

Drew.

bluey99
6th August 2005, 11:54 AM
G Day Drew
The registered version of Ozi with the latest upgrades now allows 10,000 waypoints.
Cheers bluey99

Drew_au
6th August 2005, 01:05 PM
Cheers Bluey,

I'm off to the Ozi website to buy it.

BTW, I love the Tacoma Narrows avatar. Very interesting engineering event!

Drew.

Pluto
6th August 2005, 03:04 PM
...Can Ozi do what I was talking about with a towns database?...Yes it can. OziExplorer has included an Australian Namesearch database. You won't need to have a complete list of waypoints for towns because you can create them as needed from the namesearch window.

Drew_au
6th August 2005, 10:26 PM
Now that I'm a registered user of OziCE, I'm finding more about it.

My install didn't seem to have any Aussie towns in the Namesearch folder, but I downloaded one from somewhere (can't remember where, must be getting old!).

It's called au_names.zip and contains Australian place names.names and Australian place names.types

The file seems a little weird though, the "types" field seems to not only have the normal sort of stuff like elevation feature, vegetation and what not, but also includes a bunch of locations as well. My guess is the file is somehow corrupted.

I've attached the file for reference, any of the learned ones able to shed some light.

I can't remember where I got this file. :o

Cheers all,

Drew (still learning).

--------
Safe return, Discovery STS-114.
--------

Pluto
7th August 2005, 06:28 AM
...The file seems a little weird though, the "types" field seems to not only have the normal sort of stuff like elevation feature, vegetation and what not, but also includes a bunch of locations as well. My guess is the file is somehow corrupted....Not corrupt as such. Just not compiled as well as it could be. It's still useable.

--------
Safe return, Discovery STS-114.
--------http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/sts_cleared_for_landing.html?582005

mitchofsutho
22nd August 2005, 01:12 PM
You'll find and Austrailam, NSW and Central Australian Place Names databases for use with OxiExplorer at;

http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?t=230