PDA

View Full Version : Yet another "Which GPS should I buy" thread :)

daviddth
6th August 2005, 04:51 PM
I'm about to go big & buy a new GPS as My old $150 non-mapping one finally died. I'm looking at the Magellan eXplorist 500 or 600 with Dicsover Aus - Probably the new Topo version.

What I would like is:

A mapping GPS

Good street-level detail for many towns in NSW, including Sydney.
Routing function. i.e. put in a destination & it guides me there in the car, preferably at each intersection. I dont know if the eXplorist does this, and this will be a real deal-breaker for SWMBO to allow the $1K++ purchase.
Portable - I do a bit of walking with the GPS too, so I dont want it having flip-out aerials etc
Ability to pre-map a trip on the PC, such as a trip to QLD. Highlite petrol stations, places to eat, points of interest & have the GPS tell me when I get close. Then upload the map to the GPS as I dont use the PC in the car.
Price of around $1200 including maps would be nice, but I can go to $1500 if needed.

Any suggestions?

Shady
7th August 2005, 08:34 AM
I'm about to go big & buy a new GPS as My old $150 non-mapping one finally died. I'm looking at the Magellan eXplorist 500 or 600 with Dicsover Aus - Probably the new Topo version.

You can't go to far wrong with the Explorist 500 or 600. The 500 is more popular.
The RRP prices for the value packs include the Discover Aus Topo preloaded oonto an SD card and the CD will be shipped out later this year when it's available.
eXplorist 400 Value Travellers Pack $1,025.00
eXplorist 500 Value Travellers Pack $1,235.00
eXplorist 600 Value Travellers Pack $1,320.00

These are the RRP prices, we will be offereing members a very competitive discount.

MikeAus
7th August 2005, 09:09 AM
I won't be buying another Mapping GPS now that I can get much better capability on an iPAQ. All NSW Topo maps for free running on OziExplorer. ANY paper map or air photo I can scan in. Autorouting software is still expensive but getting cheaper and better. And the display is much larger and touchscreen with handriting recognition.