PDA

View Full Version : Operating Systems

Corry
16th December 2007, 06:42 PM
Evening everyone, I got myself a second hand laptop for mapping in the car, but it didn't have an operating system loaded on it. I didn't think that this would be a problem as I had XP Home that is loaded on my desktop. I went to load it onto the laptop and it doesn't work. Apparently it turns out that I can't use it cause it is registered to the hard drive of the desktop or something like that.
I went to our local Harvey Norman's (I did try the local computer shop, but they didn't want to help) and the dude there told me that I can't buy XP Home anymore, my only option is Vista.
I don't want Vista, so I'm not sure where to go from here, I'll have a look on e-bay, but I'm not a fan of buying from there.
Anyone got any advice or should I just get XP Home from e-bay and live with it.

Cheers
Corry

mlenser
16th December 2007, 08:40 PM
Hi Corry,
XP Home should still be available from PC shops as I am in the process of buying a Dell laptop with XP Home installed at the moment and it was just one of the options I could choose from.
In Victoria I get Thursday's AGE newspaper and look through the "Green Guide" lift out section ..... lots of good prices on PC stuff and some stores will advertise operating systems as stand alone purchases. I'm sure there must be something similar for QLD as well.

Regards
Mike.

Pocileh
16th December 2007, 08:48 PM
Maybe it's different locally, but XP is readily available over here (the Netherlands)
I know this because I recently bought a new laptop with Vista pre-installed and I'm no fond of it either.
Untill I found out I had to pay about 230 Euro's (more or less 400 AUSD) for an XP-Home license.
If you look around and try some shops you should be able to get a copy....
or if you have an old system that has a legal copy on it but don't use anymore, install that on your laptop (clean install) and have it registered. If they (Microsoft) deny, send them a message that you had to discard the old system.
This won't work if the old system had a pre-installed OEM copy on it.
That is limited to that system and it is not allowed to be transferred to a different system.

Nicko
16th December 2007, 10:15 PM
GPS Australia can sell you a legit copy (and brand new :) ) for $125 plus freight. Call me on the 1800 number found in the shop and I will assist you or.......

Click here to buy from our shop (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/shop/product_info.php?cPath=196_197_198&products_id=574)
:wave

ACC01
17th December 2007, 10:22 PM
Good choice not running vista, I run vista premium and have been for 6months, Altho my system is worth $2,500 and I run lots of hungry games.

Its expensive to run vista as it is ram hungry. I use 4gig.

I think nicko might be your best option... Vista is about $149. So if you really want xp probably have to pay the $125 for it before its all gone..

Altho I dont see why theres problems, Ive used 1 disc to install on more then 1 machine, Weather its legal or not might be questionable but it should work. So im not sure why It doesnt let you?

hangover
2nd April 2008, 11:21 AM
I have used the same key for both my pc and laptop without a problem and have also installed xp on many other pc's of my own without problems. I also got a couple of cases my work was throwing out that had unregistered COA keys on them .

Nicko
2nd April 2008, 01:50 PM
So, are you saying you are using the same key concurrently? Not something I would brag about ;)