PDA

View Full Version : Magellan eXplorist very slow

Cal
7th January 2008, 12:35 PM
Hi all,

I've been using a 400 for some time now. Overall, i've found it to be excellent, but it is painfully slow to access the track logs. It takes a good 10 minutes just to get to them via the menu. I'm using DAST if that's any help. The unit is about 12 months old and had always done this. I'm running the latest firmware. Any help would be great.

cheers :)

Nicko
7th January 2008, 12:59 PM
Is WAAS turned off?

jonesy
7th January 2008, 05:32 PM
I've had the exact same problem with a sandisk card and my garmin 60cx. Swapped to another brand card and solved the problem.

Worth trying another card or save your logs off and reformat it and load them back on.

Jonesy

Nicko
7th January 2008, 07:39 PM
That's unusual to have a problem with a Sandisk, may have been just a bad batch or something.

Cal
8th January 2008, 11:13 AM
I'll check the WAAS setting, I think it's on.

Unfortunately, I can't transfer DAST to another card. If I take the card out, the problem is still there.

Thanks for the suggestions.

jonesy
8th January 2008, 11:23 AM
That's unusual to have a problem with a Sandisk, may have been just a bad batch or something.

I know, I've used sandisk cards forever for everything including professional photography. I thought it was the GPS, so back to the shop and same problem on another gps. Card is now in the bin.

Jonesy

Cal
17th January 2008, 09:13 AM
I've finally found how to turn WAAS off, but unfortunately it didn't make any difference to the speed of the unit.

Cal
24th April 2008, 11:00 AM
I've worked out why it's so slow. It doesn't seem to be able to handle lots of files saved in to the track logs directory. If I remove them, it accesses pretty quickly. So now I just load in track logs that I could be using that particular day or weekend. Any more than 6 logs and it starts to crawl again. I used to store all my logs for the rides we do in there.

Nicko
24th April 2008, 11:59 AM
Thanks Cal for the update, invaluable information!