PDA

View Full Version : Otter box alternative

craig.iedema
10th January 2008, 09:06 AM
Hi,

I have just purchased a second hand Navman PIN570 (similar to an Acer N35) and wish to mount it on motorcycle - for off-road and adventure touring use.

To mount with an OtterBox is nearly as expensive as the cost of the unit. I was wondering if anyone knows of an alternative, the RAM Aqua Box seems okay - but does anyone sell the large one? (JA don't).

I already most of the RAM mounting stuff from my current GPS.

Nicko
10th January 2008, 10:07 AM
There are two Otterboxes to choose from and one is around the $150 mark and the other, the 2600 is half the price.

http://www.otterbox.com/products/pda_cases/2600/

I can supply any RAM or Otter Box, so specfy a model and I will quote.

Mr Router
10th January 2008, 01:40 PM
The otto is the ticket on the bike because it's dust proof, and after my mountain bike crash(pda lived this time), mostly shock resistant.
I haven't got one but they look very tempting !

Corry
10th January 2008, 06:46 PM
I stuffed around for ages with powered mounts and home made stuff for our 4WD Comps and crap, and ended up buying an Otterbox. Don't know why I didn't do it earlier, wasted so much money trying stuff and not being happy with it to start with.
I went for the 1900. Should have gone for the cable attachment for the bottom as well. That'll come later.
They do cost money, but it has saved me heaps as far as dust and water are concerned. I even use it in my ski boat now.
It is mounted on a RAM mount, which again, been there with nearly everything, and should have done that in the first place as well.
Go ahead, lash out, get one, you won't be sorry.

Cheers
Corry

bayvu
12th January 2008, 08:46 PM
The large RAM Aquabox 1 works well, appears good and watertight and available from http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/RAM/ram.asp?prod=RAM-AB1.

Arrived in 3 days for $65AU delivered.

craig.iedema
13th January 2008, 03:28 PM
The large RAM Aquabox 1 works well, appears good and watertight and available from http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/RAM/ram.asp?prod=RAM-AB1.

Arrived in 3 days for $65AU delivered.

Hey that is a good website, apart from the RAM stuff.

bayvu
14th January 2008, 10:05 PM
Yeah I've bought a few things over the past 3 years, always quick service.

Gee I wish I had lots of money, so many interesting sites with heaps of gizmos.

And then there is my ebay addiction.........

craig.iedema
15th January 2008, 09:27 PM
Yeah I've bought a few things over the past 3 years, always quick service.

Gee I wish I had lots of money, so many interesting sites with heaps of gizmos.

And then there is my ebay addiction.........

I look at all those websites and think I'll have one of those and those and those.

It is worse when you own 2 off-road bikes you start to want one of everything for each bike.

At least I don't have a 4WD.

bayvu
22nd January 2008, 11:34 PM
Did you have to mention the 4WD! That's another story.

Turbo, Kaymar rear bar, mags, all going well then no compression. Replacement engine, yippee, new radiator, front end rebuild and away we go again.

Save for diff locks and a 2" suspension lift, long range tank, need a new rear diff housing due to original being bent and bearings spinning, then motor continues to blow smoke and leak oil. Must have been the reco'ers bad day, # 6 through the side of the block.

Replacement motor sourced under warranty (and that's another 6 month saga) and fitted and 1600 km later and no power over 1000 rpm!

Hmm, towed to workshop and the only part not replaced, the fuel injection pump, sh*t itself. Aluminium filings all through the engine and another $4,400 rebuild of engine and replacement pump.

Divorce in the meantime and now I just have to save for the winch bar so I can mount my secondhand Warn winch and I'll feel safe in the bush knowing I can extricate myself.

Gee bikes are cheaper and easier! And quicker too!

4X4
24th January 2008, 02:13 PM
Hi Bayvu,

How many mirrors did you break or black cats did you run over? Buy a Tattslotto ticket, it has to get better, I don't think it could get any worse! :goodluck

wraith
24th January 2008, 07:12 PM
Well Bayvu might like to try getting stuck in the sand up to the cars belly with a rapidly incoming high tide just for fun to see if that motor is really waterproof :lol2

bayvu
26th January 2008, 08:23 PM
I think I'd give that a miss, from what I've read, once you sink with an incoming tide and are not snatched out immediately, the vehicle ends ups a total right off!

Give me the mountains any day!