PDA

View Full Version : how to download stuff to gps

junek
10th August 2005, 03:58 PM
i admit defeat!
i just got my first gps, and the manual it came with is hopeless.
its a magellan explorist 500. its from ebay so i cant complain really, and i cant really go to the local gps store and ask for help as i would feel like a royal *****. untill i buy something like discoveraus from them.
anyway, im slowly learning how to do stuff on it. it does not have an aust base map on it.
anyway, i was just wondering how i can up and down-load stuff to and from the gps and computer.
e.g... the track Shady put up about his ride in jenolan caves area. Or waypoints from oziexplorer. Do i need to get a mapsend product before i can do this??
i realise these are pretty elementary things, but the manual is useless, so any info or websites you could reffer me to would be a great help
thanks
jamie

Shady
10th August 2005, 04:20 PM
I haven't had any experience with the explorist range yet but from what I understand in microsoft explorer (not internet explorer) you can drag and drop (cut and paste) files from your computer to your GPS which should show up on explorer just like any other USB device connected to your computer.
I plan to play around with one soon to find out how they all work.

Rough60
10th August 2005, 05:01 PM
I found a link to a comprehensive manual for my meridian at

www.nextdestination.com.au

maybe try there

cheers

Shady
10th August 2005, 05:32 PM
If you haven't already found it, and for future reference.

eXplorist 400, 500 & 600 Windows 95, 98 & ME USB data transfer drivers

Download the zip file containing the Windows 95, 98 & ME drivers for transferring data to and from the eXplorist 400, 500 & 600. Installation instructions are also included.

To download click HERE (http://us.reynolds.net.au/magellan/downloads/updates/win98driver.zip).

Thanks Rough60.

Pluto
11th August 2005, 06:11 AM
...its a magellan explorist 500...i was just wondering how i can up and down-load stuff to and from the gps and computer....Did the GPS come with the data cable and device driver CD?

What software are you using to interface with the GPS? OziExplore or something else?

junek
11th August 2005, 01:58 PM
yep i have tried drag and drop with the jenolan caves track (trk.) file, but it does not work. I think it may be that the gps does not support the trk file format. As the other tracks that i have made with the gps are in text' document' formats.
Anyone know what type of format the files should be in for the gps to read them.?
i can actually move the file to the gps drive so on the computer it says the trach file is in the Track Logs file but when i look in the Track Logs on the gps it aint there.
hope u can understand what im on about!
also, can ozi communicate when it is not a registered copy?
jamie

junek
11th August 2005, 02:09 PM
ok, figured it out.
there is a magellan conversian manager that i got off the cd. it converts wpt. and trk. files to stuff the magellan can understand.
BUT> when i download the speed camera waypoint files and unzip them, they come up as Microsoft Works Word Processor files.??? is this normal and how do i get those files to wpt. files???
thanks again, your all lots of help haha
jamie

Ozzie
11th August 2005, 03:03 PM
gday

you can try Babel, I use it all the time to convert to my magellen
http://gpsbabel.sourceforge.net/

Ozzie

Pluto
11th August 2005, 03:16 PM
you can try Babel...Hi Ozzie,

I can't say GPSBabel does it for me, these days. It has received very little developement recently and is falling behind in the data conversion game.

I'm currently playing with GPS Utility (http://www.gpsu.co.uk/) and I'm also going to look at GarTrip (http://www.gartrip.de/) as a conversion tool.

You might like to have a look too. Let me know what you think.

Pluto
11th August 2005, 03:23 PM
I can't say GPSBabel does it for me, these daysI'll eat my words. Had a look at their site and the revision history tells a very different story.

I'll have to D/L the current version and have a look.

Pluto
11th August 2005, 05:29 PM
...BUT> when i download the speed camera waypoint files and unzip them, they come up as Microsoft Works Word Processor files.??? is this normal and how do i get those files to wpt. files???...MSWorks is picking up on the .wpt extension. I'm sure Shady can confirm that these files are OziExplorer waypoint files. In which Case double clicking on the file will not help.

Open OziExplorer and open the waypoint file from there, using the menus: File > Load from File > Load waypoints from File. Then you can open the waypoint list (Veiw > Lists > Waypoint List) to manage the waypoints.

junek
12th August 2005, 08:01 AM
thanks pluto.
i should have mentioned that i can get the waypoints to come up in ozi, but from there i cannot get them to download onto the gps. after pressing 'send waypoints to gps' it says something like 'sending failed' and gives no explination why. but im pretty sure its 'cos i have an unregistered copy.
anyway, thanks alot
almost got this thing sorted.!
jamie

Pluto
12th August 2005, 10:48 AM
OK. Then it's most likely a com port configuration problem.

Compare the settings on the GPS to those on the COM tab in the OziExplorer configuration.

If they're all the same, then try slowing down the Upload/Download Baud rate.

festy
12th August 2005, 11:07 AM
Also, make sure your GPS is set to the right interface protocol.

Ozzie
12th August 2005, 04:25 PM
Had a look at their site and the revision history tells a very different story.

I'll have to D/L the current version and have a look.

Gday Pluto,

Babel is not the best around, ( I think it cant convert routes) but apart from that, It works great for what I want. and I will have to check myself see if I have the upgrades, been a while sinse Ive been there.

catch you in the bush mate

Ozzie

Soap Dodger
17th August 2005, 07:27 PM
Junek, sorry for the late reply, I've been going through the same rigmoral with my explorist 600 in the last month.
The way it is, is magellan in there ultimate wisdom have converted the extensions of all tracks,maps, waypoints etc so now they are not the same as the meridians.
What this means is EVERYTHING that is sent or recieved to your gps will have to be converted in conversion manager.
So this means that discover aus and ozi explorer can not directly comunicate with the gps so this is where you have to create folders on your pc for b4 and after conversion so you know which way to send em i.e to gps or to ozi/dis aus.
I've created folders and subfolders on my pc named things like from gps before conversion. ..Then another folder with to Gps without conversion. As you can guess you'll have about 4 folders on your pc with all the subfolders within each folder indicating tracks, maps, waypoints etc. It is a bit of mucking around, but once you get the hang of it its not too bad then use the conversion manager to talk to gps. or upload from gps and convert so it can be read in disc aus/ ozi explorer
So as you can see everything that is to comunicate to gps or from gps will have to be converted first.
I hope that helps and makes some sense :)

Pluto
18th August 2005, 12:13 AM
Hi Dodger,

Which conversion Manager is that? Is there one that comes with the Explorist?

arthurking83
19th August 2005, 12:07 AM
I can never understand a companys attitude like Magellan(Thales)
They develop a device, charge way too much for it, change all the protocols for it, then main reason most people buy it, it doesn't work! It becomes a useless deadweight the customer feels ripped off by the offending company, and the next purchase is one from the competition!

From what I have read over the last week or so about Thales, is not a very customer orientated kind of megacorporation! It reeks of a (US based again) multinational, only serving to protect its bottom line, among other things.

There are a band of enthusiasts out there, they could be tapped for some innovative improvements to the product line, but they get stomped on threatened, quashed, and ignored!
So instead of trying to encourage(even just to turn a blind eye) the small (miniscule customer base in % terms) group of geeks to hack into some of the working of this and that, they become alienated. The geek has no option but to head off to G(armin)REENER pastures to get what they want! (The geeks always get what they want!)

junek
19th August 2005, 02:32 PM
thanks evryone, Soap Dodger especially. i get it now, everything has to be converted....u wonder what they were thinking when they designed that into the hardware!?
mmmmmmmmm, i thin arthurking has a few valid points there...
thanks again
jamie

Soap Dodger
19th August 2005, 04:59 PM
Hi Dodger,

Which conversion Manager is that? Is there one that comes with the Explorist?

Yep it comes with the explorist's.