PDA

View Full Version : Laser Navig8r L35 tomtom maps (HACK)

motegi
13th January 2008, 11:07 PM
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the whole GPS scene and hoping if some techy here maybe able to help me with some questions

The Laser Navig8r is quite similiar to the Binatone in the "new product forum" it uses a 324Mhz processor with 64mb ram running on windows CE 5.0 I think. It is currently selling dirt cheap at Harvey Norman for $198.

Basiacally what i want to do is be able to add custom POI or tag a particular place that the GPS is at to a POI and also traffic light alerts.

I have read from some sites where they have replaced the OS of the original GPS to that of a tomtom and was wondering if anyone has tried and what kinda results they got, an feedback would be appreciated.

Also, can someone please direct me how I can go about this if it is possible.

Thanks

Eric

Rip'n'Shred
12th April 2008, 08:29 AM
I am also very interested in this.

Anyone?????????????????????

Mandrake
12th September 2008, 03:15 PM
I bought one of these and it has come in very handy ..

It does support POI and navigate to and from POI and current
GPS Position ... The Maps are a bit basic but as far as roads are concerned its good.. off road - welllll its just a green map with a compass...

Its also portable for a few hours which is handy if you are
wandering around the wilds of Oz...

Hope that helps even though this thread is ancient ( Aprill 08 )

Cheers

Mandrake

dannyboi
30th September 2008, 11:43 AM
Is it possible to get these L35 systems hacked?

I'm not exactly impressed by the software I have to say. It feels like a cheap mp3 player.

tomhollow
23rd December 2008, 08:57 AM
I'm interested in buying one of these - Cheap!
Has anyone managed to run TomTom or any other GPS software?
Thanks for any help.
Tom

dannyboi
15th June 2009, 12:29 PM
Any updates on this?

navig8r
15th June 2009, 03:28 PM
This is possible on the L35 product as it runs on Windows CE. you will need to rename the Tom Tom executable to mobilenavigator.exe to enable it to run from the SD card. The COM ports autodetect so you should have no problems getting a GPS signal acquire.

dannyboi
15th June 2009, 06:46 PM
I can confirm that it works. I'm running TomTom 7.9 on it now.

The GPS port did not autodetect properly, if at all, so that was a bit problematic.

You had to manually go into the settings and change the GPS receiver type and port BAUD speed.

Otherwise, it works well enough. The maps are a lot better than the original Navteq ones, and seem to be more detailed and concise.

dannyboi
16th June 2009, 11:46 PM
Would anyone know what the Baud Rate for the Navig8r L35 is? You need to know what the Baud Rate is to set up the GPS receiver, and I think setting it to the wrong value causes drop-out problems.

Cheers

navig8r
17th June 2009, 03:32 PM
The GPS antenna settings for the L35 are as follows

COM port = 7
Baud rate = 57600
Protocol = NMEA

If you're using the original software which was shipped with the L35 (Nokia Gate5.Navteq) then this cant be altered as it's fixed by the software. If however you are using other software, then the baud rate will depend on the software. Setting an arbitrary 115200 doesnt necessarily mean you will get a handshake at this speed, most software packages will try at the highest setting and then auto-scale back until they find a stable speed.

dannyboi
17th June 2009, 08:34 PM
The GPS antenna settings for the L35 are as follows

COM port = 7
Baud rate = 57600
Protocol = NMEA

If you're using the original software which was shipped with the L35 (Nokia Gate5.Navteq) then this cant be altered as it's fixed by the software. If however you are using other software, then the baud rate will depend on the software. Setting an arbitrary 115200 doesnt necessarily mean you will get a handshake at this speed, most software packages will try at the highest setting and then auto-scale back until they find a stable speed.

Oh brilliant. Cheers!
I've replaced the original Gate5 software with Tomtom software and had problems with drop outs. I tried the "default" 4800 recommended by most people but that didn't solve the problem. However, I think the problem lay more with Windows CE and it's backlight settings, which seemed to cut the GPS connection.

However, it's very useful to know those Port and Baud values. I'm using 115200 right now, and it appears to work, but I guess I'll switch it to 57600 since it's what it's designed for.

Thanks again.

ebaymic
8th July 2009, 03:52 PM
I recently converted a Laser L43 to the latest TomTom software & Map. Had problems with Map freezing when traveling. The program did not freeze just the Map when Mobile or in Demo mode.

Initially thought it was a problem with Baud rate on the antenna connection. No change still froze.

Timed the freeze of Map. Found it exactly 60 second on charger and 12 seconds on battery.

Come to conclusion a Backlight problem with TomTom software. The Navig8r was set to "Never" for Backlight. Adjusting volume or control would unfreeze it.

With help of a friend we changed the TomTom.exe to disable the Power saving features.

Using a the Hex editor XVi32

http://www.handshake.de/user/chmaas/delphi/download/xvi32_231.zip

Go to menu - search -find

In dialogue box type "controlset"in text string. Make sure to tick unicode latin.

In top right column will see System\Current Cointrol Set \ Control\Power\State\on.

Because the TomTom software is trying to take over from Navigator it must be turned off.

Replace O N (note the space between letters) with O F F then save.

This made a big difference and the TomTom has been working well