PDA

View Full Version : It begins....

Craigus
11th August 2005, 06:51 PM
I started fitting my gear to the 4Runner tonight... Already came across some small hurdles. I should have it well underway this weekend.

I'm a little un-sure of the mounting bracket I have used here, I may end up relocating it yet.

The first photo of the install, many more on the way.

Craigus
11th August 2005, 08:50 PM
Ok.. After some thought I decided the bracket moved way too much, It was time to sacrafice the ashtray!

This way the screen can be removed in about 3 seconds. Makes me feel a little better leaving it in a car park all day.

Paul75
12th August 2005, 01:34 PM
Hey Craigus,

Is that just a screen with a laptop running it?

Craigus
12th August 2005, 02:04 PM
Correct. IBM 600X (PIII 500) under the front seat.

HappyJacky
12th August 2005, 02:55 PM
does the screen interfere with the gearshift??

Craigus
12th August 2005, 07:43 PM
No sir, I would never have mounted it there if it did.

Paul75
12th August 2005, 10:00 PM
I like that screen...what brand is it? And if you don't mind me asking, what sort of price do they retail for?

Do you control the cursor with those buttons on the front?

Sorry for all the questions, but looks like a pretty good setup.

Craigus
12th August 2005, 10:27 PM
It's a 7" Liliput LCD Touch screen guy's, controled by my finger (or provided stylus) Connected to my lappy who is living under the front seat.

I bought it from Ebay (Hong Kong) for $349 including shiping.

Details can be found HERE (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5793595546&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1)

smee_e_e
15th August 2005, 08:24 AM
Looks like a good setup you are working on.

How viewable is the screen both where you have it mounted now and just in the car whilst outside generally?

Craigus
15th August 2005, 08:39 AM
Generaly it's pretty good. Though I did have a little trouble with glare later in the day.. :eek:

Berniebgf
18th August 2005, 06:35 PM
Man,

We all need to research Fibreglass work, on MP3CAR some of the Fibreglass work is amazing!! but very time consuming.

I need more time on the weekend :-(

Bernie

Craigus
18th August 2005, 08:37 PM
I liked the idea of still being able to remove the screen quickly.. And I don't have the time or patience to stuff about with fiberglass. :rolleyes:

arthurking83
18th August 2005, 10:57 PM
Hi Craigus.
Now I'm so curious as to the workings of this touch screen connected to the lappy. (my wife is going to leave me, when one of these screens arrives in the mail too :rolleyes: )
Reason is, I've been holding onto a laptop with a dead screen (maybe the inverter or the lcd panel??) for just such and adventure :D
You just made my day :D (again)
how do the connecters work, ie. how does the touch screen know where the cursor is supposed to be? etc, etc.........
I'd assume that there is a connector from the screen to the mouse port or usb or whatever, some intricate details would be nice, and some more commentary on its workings/flaws/etc.

cheers.

Craigus
19th August 2005, 06:55 AM
Video is sent from your lappy via VGA (Video) output, touch is controled via USB. A laptop with a broken screen would be perfect for this..

As for the inner workings mate I really am not sure..

Here are some detailed photos..

>The connector on the LCD.
>The cables you get with the unit.

arthurking83
19th August 2005, 05:05 PM
Looks fantastic!
I definitely gotta get one.
How does the lappy cope with bumps/vibes etc.
I guess it's ok on badly made roads etc..., but what about corrugations etc.
I'd be inclined to have a bit of low density foam under it to minimise any shock to the hdd and optical drive.
Let us know how you get on :)

Craigus
19th August 2005, 06:11 PM
Laptop hard drives are built to take a little more of a knock then a 3.5" drive.. I rarely use the optical drive on the lappy, I have ripped most of the DVD's my girl likes to 500meg DIVX files and play straight from the drive :)

The next part of the project is fitting a USB FM capture card so I can use the notebook as the tuner too :D

For now I'm relocating the PC to the rear of the 4runner as it's a dead set pain in the **** to mount under the front seat. I'll continue to post pictures as I move along. :cool:

festy
19th August 2005, 08:39 PM
If you can mount the laptop on it's side, the heads are less likely to bump into the plattersover bumps than if it's mounted normally.

Craigus
23rd August 2005, 09:50 PM
I started building the rest of the system this week.. To be mounted in the rear tool compartment along with the 10 stacker.

Pentium III 966
SIS Micro ATX board
512 MEG SDRAM
D-Link DWL-G520+ Wi-Fi
40GB 2.5" Notebook Drive
Acer CD/RW - DVD Combo drive
Morex 80W 12V DC/DC Power Supply

I should have the gear ready to start the install this weekend.

JimM
24th August 2005, 01:42 PM
Can Destinator software be run on the carputer, or does it have to run on a PDA?

Cheers

festy
24th August 2005, 02:29 PM
Destinator is PDA application, but there are a couple of PC applications that use Destinator to provide the same sort of thing. Mapmonkey (http://www.mapmonkey.net) seems to be the most popular of these.

Craigus
26th August 2005, 11:40 PM
I got the rest of my goodies in the mail today... Tomorrow should see the start of the install.

Craigus
28th August 2005, 03:03 PM
Almost done! I only need to run RCA to my FM modulator and the whole install is complete.

Some pics:

strider01
28th August 2005, 06:58 PM
Looks great Craigus!! Nice and neat too.

Craigus
28th August 2005, 07:06 PM
Thanks mate.. With the little door closed you would never guess the was a PIII 966 hiding in there.

I will be putting together a complete 'carputer' DIY kit Including PC, touchscreen and cables, GPS and every thing else you'll need over the next few weeks. As soon as it's done It will be available though our online shop.

arthurking83
28th August 2005, 08:12 PM
Hi Craigus,
That job is looking very nice :D
Make sure you give it a thorough test over some very rough roads too.
I see a wireless G card :confused:
For access to home LAN, PDA :confused:
Interesting!

edit: Ahaaa! I just figured it out! WARDRIVING :eek:

cheers.

Craigus
28th August 2005, 08:48 PM
The wi-fi is MOSTLY for conecting to the LAN at home and transfering music/movie and the like to the car.. BUT I had a go with 'Net Stumbler' today and WOW!! what a fantastic app that is. :D

alpha993
28th August 2005, 10:36 PM
Thanks mate.. With the little door closed you would never guess the was a PIII 966 hiding in there.

I will be putting together a complete 'carputer' DIY kit Including PC, touchscreen and cables, GPS and every thing else you'll need over the next few weeks. As soon as it's done It will be available though our online shop.

i'll be watching that with interest... :)

keenas
8th September 2005, 07:11 AM
Craig looks the goods

Can't wait to see it when its up and running

Craigus
8th September 2005, 07:21 AM
It's all but finished now.. I'm starting on the 'in-dash' install of the screen ASAP.. But the rest is complete. :cool: You'll get a look next time we catch up for a ride. :D

Ozzie
8th September 2005, 09:09 AM

gday Craigus

any idea when this kit will be on the market, Im extremely interested in grabbing one.

Ozzie

Craigus
8th September 2005, 09:31 AM
I'll do my best to get all the parts listed by the weekend..

You will NEED a very good knowledge of windows and computers in general to successfully setup a system like this.

If you need a comprehensive list of parts used in the mean time I can post it up here right away.

bluey99
17th September 2005, 10:41 AM
[/QUOTE]
I will be putting together a complete 'carputer' DIY kit Including PC, touchscreen and cables, GPS and every thing else you'll need over the next few weeks. As soon as it's done It will be available though our online shop.[/QUOTE]

G Day Cragius
How's the kit going?
How did the screen installation go? Any Pics?
Is that a 4 Runner your installing it in?
A list of the parts used would be great if possible.
Thanks for all the work.
Cheers mate
Bluey99 :)

Craigus
20th September 2005, 01:26 PM
Hi mate, sorry for the delay... I have been flat out at work this week.

I'll get the full list of parts and suppliers posted here tonight as soon as I get home..

strider01
23rd September 2005, 02:14 PM
Hi Craigus,

Just wondering how the list of equipment is going? It would be good not to have to run my laptop in the car all the time!! When you say you need to have a good knowledge of Windows to install this, why is it any different to a normal PC install? OS and driver installs should be the same since it would be XP - if I'm right of course!!??

Craigus
23rd September 2005, 02:25 PM
If you know windows XP well enough to install your own apps and new hardware then you shouldn't have too many problems getting this setup.

Sorry guy's I have been so busy with work I havn't hade time to do anything after hours.

pcman
28th September 2005, 12:11 AM
looks like a sweet setup

bcasot
28th September 2005, 04:34 PM
:rolleyes: Hi Craigus, Great setup. I have a fold down, from the roof type screen with a laptop in the back somewhere all operated from a bt mouse. It works well but.... be great to have a dedicated system.

A couple of questions.
Noticed you have a fan but do you think it will handle some of Aus's extreem heat?

When you switch off the car and start it again do you have to login each time?

I imagine your screen is s-video, everytime you start the car do you have to change to external screen.

All the best.. as I think I am heading down the same path as above, that is, not wanting to have the laptop in the car, all the time

Craigus
28th September 2005, 05:17 PM
Hi mate,

Firstly.. Thanks! :D

Noticed you have a fan but do you think it will handle some of Aus's extreem heat?
The system is a PIII 1000.. I used the stock CPU cooler with a dob of 'arctic silver' if it get's hot I'll look at other forms of cooling :D for now it's fine.

When you switch off the car and start it again do you have to login each time?
No sir! I have the PSU connected directly to the battery and a small 12V battery wired into the system to hold a charge whilst cranking.

I imagine your screen is s-video, everytime you start the car do you have to change to external screen.
No, the Screen is VGA. Connecting directly to the PC video output. Also after some 'mods' the screen auto powers on with the car.

I didn't like the idea of having to remove the lappy all the tile and not being able to power it on easily from the front.

Smiley
3rd October 2005, 09:06 PM
Great setup!

Got most of the parts - just need the power supply. Is this available from **** Smith or Jaycar?

Thanks Smiley (edited for typo - its hard to get good help these days isnt it?)

Craigus
4th October 2005, 06:46 AM
How much gear are you wanting to run of the power supply? I used a Morex 80W unit..

Dumb site.. you'll have to copy this link to you're browser.

http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/show_product_info.php?input[product_code]=CA-MOAC047&input[category_id]=1333

Smiley
4th October 2005, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the link for the power supply. Gamedude and Computer Alliance stock most things between them, but not this one.

michaeld
1st November 2005, 06:44 PM
this mob makes carputers
http://www.bitdistribution.com.au/?stg=49

bcasot
2nd November 2005, 01:05 PM
this mob makes carputers
http://www.bitdistribution.com.au/?stg=49

Has anyone bought a carputer ??
What are they like???
Worth building one?? :o

Craigus
2nd November 2005, 02:42 PM
The PC's in the link above look to be alright.. Though you're stuck with what you're given.. I guess they would be a great idea if you didn't want to build your own? :cool:

Craigus
6th November 2005, 02:27 PM
I got a little bored this weekend, our 4WD trip was called off and it was crappy and raining so I decided to mount my screen a little better, run USB to my glove box and get my audio running through my sterio.. I lifted the screen up higher and put more of an angle on it to help reduce the daylight glare... I made 2 brackets to hold it one coming out on an angle and the other under the radio to strengthen the whole thing... It turned out pretty good but I am still waiting on my dash piece to arrive so I can start the final install.

The audio now enters the system via a 'Auxiliary Tape' adaptor.. :D Works a treat after some light mods to the cable to allow RCA input.

Anyway... Here are some pics:

vincentvega
7th November 2005, 06:58 AM
you stole my skin yo u bastard :p

does the extra angle help with glare much?

Craigus
7th November 2005, 07:49 AM
Yes alot! I can see it in the daylight now.. I had a lot of trouble with the glare of my damn light gray seats. I'll let you know how it go's after I have done more testing.. As for the skin.. It's mine now.. I modded it.. Muahahaha.. :rolleyes:

vincentvega
7th November 2005, 08:02 AM
do you havt tinted windows?

I do, and I notice a huge difference between having my windows up and down.

Craigus
7th November 2005, 08:03 AM
Yeah pretty dark tints all round.. Mostly it was glare through the windscreen, reflection off the seats.

Jackaroo
9th November 2005, 01:25 PM
Hi Craigus
Do you have the physical dimensions of the touch screen. I want to make up a dummy one to see if there is a viable position to install in the Jackaroo before spending the Hard earned cash

Craigus
9th November 2005, 01:28 PM
183 x 125 x 32(mm) :cool:

Craigus
18th November 2005, 06:31 PM
Bored again tonight... :eek:

Before, after and a close up: :D

Viper
24th November 2005, 09:08 PM
Hello Craigus,

I see in previouse posts that you will be putting together a list of required parts etc into the shop, just wondering how it is going

Craigus
25th November 2005, 04:40 AM
I'm having trouble with suppliers to be honest.. :confused:

I will however get a list of parts I used and where I sourced them if you like. :cool:

Craigus
25th November 2005, 04:48 PM
Some purchasing details for any one interested...

Mobo:VIA SP-13000 LVDS MiniITX $308

http://www.gpsaustralia.net/staff/craig/CARPUTER/mobo.jpg

http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/show_product_info.php?input[product_code]=MB-VSP1300&input[category_id]=361

Screen:Lilliput 7" Touch $349

http://www.gpsaustralia.net/staff/craig/CARPUTER/lilli.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Lilliput-7-Touch-Screen-XGA-VGA-TFT-Car-Monitor-2005_W0QQitemZ5831996036QQcategoryZ14946QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

Power Supply: MOREX 80W $145

http://www.gpsaustralia.net/staff/craig/CARPUTER/PSU.jpg

http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/show_product_info.php?input[product_code]=CA-MOAC047&input[category_id]=1333

Or

Whole single DIN carputer: $1100 + Monitor costs

http://www.gpsaustralia.net/staff/craig/CARPUTER/puter.jpg

http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/show_product_info.php?input[product_code]=SY-MPTC1&input[category_id]=361

Viper
25th November 2005, 05:04 PM
Thanks for that CRAIGUS some interesting bits, now time to work out every thing that i will need and get around to doing it :rolleyes:

shane_vor
23rd December 2005, 09:36 PM
HOLY CRAP BATMAN!

I chuck my meridian in the drink holder and plug it into the ciggie lighter for power...

My music is through the stereo in the dash...

I am definitely living in the stoneage! I'll post picks when I can work out my new digital camera! (Can't open it up to get the film in!!!)

CarputerGeek
8th January 2006, 03:26 AM
Hi, just joined here. I didn't quite read every single post in this thread, but I saw a question on reliabilty on rough roads? I personally haven't had ANY problems with bumps, rough roads, heat, or cold issues. I see alot of talk about it (everywhere), but I don't really see why. I haven't had any problems, and my pc is in the trunk of my car. It gets close to a 100F degrees here in the summer.
Also, I saw a couple of Lilliputs. They're ok, but for new buyers I would highly recommend the Xenarc instead of the Lilli. I first had the Lilli, then got a Xenarc, like switching from a Yugo to a Lexus. Yes, I sell them, but that's not the point. (I'm sure you guys purchase more locally anyway.)

Anyhow, just my 2c. ;)

arthurking83
8th January 2006, 07:36 AM
........... It gets close to a 100F degrees here in the summer..........

100F!...........where you from?

I'll see your 100F and raise it to 109F! :eek:

:D
Hi and welcome to the forum!

(sounds like you're from USA??)

CarputerGeek
8th January 2006, 08:07 AM
Yes, Pennsylvania :)
You really get to a 109 degrees?????
Good Lord, how can one survive in that!

100F!...........where you from?

I'll see your 100F and raise it to 109F! :eek:

:D
Hi and welcome to the forum!

(sounds like you're from USA??)

mitchofsutho
8th January 2006, 09:50 AM
I think the discussion of ambient temporature, and the following comments/story, is still on point for this thread

In Sydney on New Years Day, on my back balcony in the shade, the temporature reached 47.5C or 117.5F! In the sun the thermometer reached 49C or 120.2F. During one outback trip to Hungerford on the NSW/QLD border, we had been chasing pigs all day in the middle of summer (mad I know), when we returned to the Pub (Hotel) for a drink that afternoon, the thermometer pinned to a post near the bar in the middle of the Pub was measuring a temporature of 55C or 131F! And that was with an evaporative cooler blowing into the Pub and it felt cool compared to the outside. Good old Aussie summers! Imaging what the temporature would have been during those days in the boot (trunk) of a car if left out in the sun! :eek:

The reason for the story is to ask, at what ambient operating temporature can one expect a carputer to operate in, particularly if stored in the boot (trunk) of a car, with no cool air conditioned air reaching it to assist with cooling the processors?

arthurking83
8th January 2006, 11:40 AM
I would expect any modern mainboard to have thermal protection for the CPU, and the CPU will most likely be a 'slow' PIII 1 Ghz type, so it should run 'cool'.

ZBut!! If you're power mad, and made a carputer with a P4!! :eek:

The hdd will be a problem though with high ambients, they really don't tolerate high temps for too long :confused:

UncySpam
8th January 2006, 05:11 PM
first lesson with carputers is to try and use the low-voltage cpu's designed for laptops as they normal have a thermal throttling ability, which means you can still function at higher temps. my old lappy throttles back to just 133mhz (from 433) but its enough to still run oziexplorer without any major issues...

its currently 34 degrees on my back verandah in the shade, and its 8pm... so I can only imagine how hot it was out in the sun during the day (actually I was in the sun with a chainsaw pulling felled trees off forestry tracks so I know how hot it was!)

CarputerGeek
8th January 2006, 11:52 PM
Man, those temp are crazy, I thought I had it bad at 95F degrees.
Do you all have a high humidity also? Pretty bad here, but if the temp is 120+ what difference would that make.

UncySpam
9th January 2006, 06:30 AM
where I am (30km south of Canberra) the humidity is rarely bad, however in Sydney the humidity is often in the high 80's... and in Brisbane, the humidity is rarely lower than low 90's.... how people live there im not sure :D

CarputerGeek
9th January 2006, 10:27 AM
OK, so Sydney is 120 degrees with a 80% humidity :eek:
How could people live in that? Air conditioning I guess.
I freaking die when it's 85 degrees and 80% humidity, guess I'm not moving to Sydney.
I guess the west coast is dryer, like it is here? And I bet Melbourne is quite nice?

I have many times considered moving there (somewhere in AU), I believe it's easier said than done. You guys are pretty tough letting new people in? :(

PED04
12th January 2006, 07:31 AM
When it gets hot, the humidity often drops; on New Year Day, when we got to 45C, the humidity was only 10%.

Gypsy
12th January 2006, 06:38 PM
OK, so Sydney is 120 degrees with a 80% humidity :eek:
How could people live in that? Air conditioning I guess.
Yeah, but you get used to it.
Although I'm in the mountains now (west of Sydney) and it's a whole lot cooler here! I couldn't move back now.

I have many times considered moving there (somewhere in AU), I believe it's easier said than done. You guys are pretty tough letting new people in? :(
Nah, just hop on a boat, come here illegally, we'll chuck you in a detention centre for a while, feed you, then let you out free to be an Aussie. ;)
LOL But seriously, it's not that hard is it?? I wouldn't know.. I live here. :p

UncySpam
12th January 2006, 06:52 PM
its ****** hard to become an aussie if you arent from one of our designated third world countries, or nz and england (our two highest importee countries)

CarputerGeek
17th January 2006, 03:17 AM
I wonder why, you guys have all that room over there :)

Guess they don't want people living off your tax money. Of course I would get to work, as a Lexus tech. (which I am now) I hear the Brisbane dealership is awesome. Somebody get me a job there :D

UncySpam
17th January 2006, 10:18 AM
lots of room... but not lots of water... we may be as big as the contiguous usa, but we only have about 15% of the fresh water you do...

markoh
13th March 2006, 07:59 PM
Hi,

Forgive the advertising but given the cost of Craigus' in-car computer, people might be interested in the ARK series PCs from Advantech ....
(http://www.advantech.com/products/Model_Detail.asp?model_id=1-UE0R7&BU=&PD=EC

Takes a 12Vdc input so no messing about with power supplies, is shock rated at 20G with a 2.5" HDD so very well suited to mobile applications. Runs on M-type processors. (Pentium M 1.2GHz approx equal to P4 2.0GHz) so will run Win XP Pro with ease. If you have an old Win98 disc, lower power models are cheaper.

It's fanless and small enough to bolt in under the dash, in the glovebox or under a seat. Can be supplied with multiple serial, multiple LAN or multiple video.

Would work very well with Lilliput type touchscreen monitors.

Markoh
www.advantech.net.au (Sydney)

vincentvega
14th March 2006, 08:04 AM
Markoh,

Industrial gear like this is great but generally too expensive to be considered. Can you give us a rough idea on price?

Also whats your office's policy on after sales service to small customers. I run an advantech PCM5862E in my car and when i contacted advantech about upgrading hte video memory i was basically told 1. we cant be bothered looking into it for you and 2. it cant be done. I have since figured it out myself and successfully upgraded the video memory..

http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?t=722

Industrial gear like this is ideal for the car, but until it becomes affordable to the general public nobody is going to use it

Cruisin
7th July 2006, 05:19 PM
I got the rest of my goodies in the mail today... Tomorrow should see the start of the install.

Craigus are these power setups suitable for any P111 mobo or only specific ones, I have an old 'Intel D815EEA' that I'd like to setup in a car if I could.

Also what resolution does the Lilliput screen run at - so I can figure out if my onboard video can run one of these TFT's?

Thanks.

Craigus
8th July 2006, 05:59 PM
The PSU will run just about any P3 mobo.. depending on the accessories you want to attach you may want to opt for the 120w :D

Craigus
28th July 2006, 04:16 PM
A small update on my project.. Some of you would remember I sold the carputer a while back. This is it's replacement.

HP HX2190 PDA
El'cheapo CF GPSr (with external antenna)
RAM PD3 mount
Tomtom 5
OziCE

Corry
31st July 2006, 09:57 PM
Don't want to give some close up shots of the mount there hey. I've got my PDA on a Arkon suction mount on the windscreen, but it gets in the way with vision while offroad. I've tried different positions, but would like to find a solid mount that I can screw to something.

Cheers
Corry

Craigus
31st July 2006, 10:12 PM
RAM-HOL-PD3

http://www.mobilecx.com/Images/9005100140.jpg

and

RAM-B-138

http://www.american-tiger.com/ProductImages/rammounts/ramb138ma3_Big.jpg

www.rammount.com