PDA

View Full Version : magellan

Lynchmob
23rd January 2008, 10:44 PM
Hi to all.

I just purchased a Magellan crossover plus outdoor tourer.

We have been living in our new house for 1.1/2 years now which is the first place we tryed to locate with it to sync (home). NOT THERE. How can something that expensive be that out of date.

I would be glad of any HELP i am able to get so that we can enjoy going of road in our SsagYong Rexton.

p.s. sorry my first post is a winge :wave

thanks

Steve & Iris

Pocileh
24th January 2008, 12:40 AM
Hi Lynchmob and welcome.

If the toys you buy don't do what you want......that's dissapointing.
But I don't quite understand what you are saying.
When you say you wanted to locate your house, do you mean your GPS was not able to get a fix or did the location not show up on your map as being a build-up area?

If it could not locate, have you given it some time outdoors?
If a GPS is started for the very first time it can take up to 20 minutes before it gets a fix. Also if it has moved over quite some distance (several hundred km's) while it was off, it again can take some time for a new fix.
If your area is not showing on the map, then take into account that it can take several years before changes 'in real life' get incorporated in maps.

Despite this I'm sure you will have fun with your Magellan as soon as you get used to it.

Lynchmob
24th January 2008, 10:14 PM
If your area is not showing on the map, then take into account that it can take several years before changes 'in real life' get incorporated in maps.

Thank you Pocileh for your response,my new house is in a new area. The roads have been named and laid for over 2 years. THe street directory has it and that only cost $26 ?...Magellan $ 1480

regards

Steve

p.s. hope i'm using this forum properly

The Explorer
25th January 2008, 06:58 AM
Hello - it is of course all dependant on how often Magellan (and any of the other players) decide to update the database they use in their map products, but keep in mind if they updated it today, it would be out of date for some areas tomorrow. Economics must pay a big part - I have no idea what their frequency of updating is but 2 years doesnt actually sound too unusual but maybe pushing it, especially as a lot of development is occurring in some areas. I am sure other brands/map products would be displaying similar inadequecies for some people wishing to navigate to locations in "newer" areas. Best bet is to research before purchase to avoid immediate dissapointment.

With repect to your current issue best bet is to contact Next Destination direct and tell them you are somewhat dissapointed and ask when they are planning on releasing an update. Tell them you will be publishing their response (or lack of response) on a public forum, though be fair, as I said other GPS Navigator/Maps sets may have similar shortcomings - its the nature of the beast.

Cheers
Greg

Lynchmob
25th January 2008, 09:28 PM
thank's Greg (The Explorer)

A Friend got a Garmin last month, IT had my street on it LOL.

I will e-mail Next Destination and be (nice ) i suppose.

Cheers mate have a good Australia Day to all

Steve

Mr Router
26th January 2008, 04:34 AM
thank's Greg (The Explorer)

A Friend got a Garmin last month, IT had my street on it LOL.

I will e-mail Next Destination and be (nice ) i suppose.

Cheers mate have a good Australia Day to all

SteveSteve that say's to me you should have bought a Garmin :lol2 and :welcome to the forum

Nicko
26th January 2008, 02:30 PM
since the Roadmate 300 came out I have not known of any update on the street software and the Roadmate came out 2 years ago. In 5 years DiscoverAUS Streets and Tracks has only had one update, it begs the question, does Next Destination care?