PDA

View Full Version : explorist xl and a worrying cd player

maxants
30th January 2008, 10:44 AM
Have recently purchased a Magellan Explorist XL, nice unit however it does not like my Nissan Patrols Cd player (or as we found out recently a portable dvd player).

I set the car mount in the middle of my dashboard directly above the radio. When the radio is operating everything is fine. The moment the CD is used the gps starts to lose the satellites it is tracking, after a short time there are no satellies and we see things like the speed being shown as 450 km/h.

Have moved the gps away from the centre location with mixed success. Even moved it to a rear passenger door where it worked Ok until my son started using a portable dvd player which caused the same problem.

I have discussed with the supplier of the gps who has said that I am imagining things (silly me).

Has anyone seen similar behaviour or have any suggestions (apart from selling the nissan) on how I can resolve the problem

Dooghan
30th January 2008, 11:22 AM
The only time I've seen something like that is when you use a GPS near a power transformer and sub station. How to fix your problem I'm not quite sure. You may have to find a good radio station to listen to :confused

mlenser
30th January 2008, 04:39 PM
Not sure if the XL can take an external antenna (Garmin user myself) but with an external antenna fitted to the outside of the vehicle (and as far away from the DVD/CD player as possible) you should avoid this interference.

I use an external antenna anyway because it improves the signal considerably in most situations.

Regards,
Mike.

Nicko
30th January 2008, 10:01 PM
or a re-radiating antenna :)

Mr Router
31st January 2008, 02:57 AM
or a re-radiating antenna :)A passive aerial :wave

Nicko
31st January 2008, 07:03 AM
A passive aerial?