PDA

View Full Version : Paperless GeoCaching with a Tom Tom 720

DrWevil
2nd February 2008, 04:50 PM
I found this handy little feature of a Tom Tom 720 that allows you to go paperless Geocaching. It might even nudge the Garmin Nuvi 760 from favoured next buy.. Na probably not ;)

What you need:
Premium Account at www.geocaching.com and an account at GA
GSAK from gsak.net
Your Tom Tom 720 plugged into and connected to your PC

How to do it:
Load all you GPX files into GSAK
Under the "File" Menu select "Export"
Select "HTML File"
A dialog box will pop up:
Type or Browse to the "Text" folder on your Tom Tom 720
Click on the "Generate" button
Wait patiently for GSAK to finish.

Out in The Field:
Tap the screen
Under "Music and Media" select "Document Folder"
You should see a folder called "Cache" if you havent unchecked the "Create folder called cache option"
Select that
Using the down arrow fine the Index file. (It will probably be at the end)
Select that
You will see a menu that you have just generated from GSAK and exported to your Tom Tom 720

You can scroll up and down a zoom in out and all the links work.
If you zoom in one or two steps and use a stylus its a bit easier to navigate around. But all you Cache info is there.

Its a bit cumbersome but it does work.

If you dont want to save directly onto your Tom Tom then pick a folder and copy the created "cache" folder to the Text folder on your Tom Tom 720.

I have no idea if this will work on other Tom Tom Models. Do so at your own risk.

Enjoy

DrWevil

Standard Disclaimer:

Standard Disclaimer:
Don't hold me responsible if you stuff things up. I highly recommend backing up your Tom Tom before you start for if things go seriously wrong then you can restore it. If you don't back up first and things go pear shaped don't come running to me.

if there are any errors please PM me.

Dooghan
2nd February 2008, 05:06 PM
I would rather use my WAP enabled phone or wireless PDA and go to http://wap.geocaching.com. Get up to date description and logs and you can also log your finds. I also use http://mobile.geocaching.com.au/. Better then the TT any day. Sorry DrWevil I just had to do it.

DrWevil
3rd February 2008, 06:32 PM
And if you don't have a wap enabled phone or PDA????
But do have a TT.

Plus you get the added bonus of 0$ data costs and not have to carry an extra device when you would have you TT on you anyway.

Sorry Dooghan just had to state the obvious ;)

I did realise there are better ways to do it.

That's what the phrase "Its a bit cumbersome...." eludes too. :grinner

Dooghan
3rd February 2008, 09:07 PM
And if you don't have a wap enabled phone or PDA????
But do have a TT.Everyone has a mobile phone. Ok I don't. I just use the wife's phone.

Plus you get the added bonus of 0$ data costs and not have to carry an extra device when you would have you TT on you anyway.Didn't cost me a thing. Wife's phone. Just had a look a last month's bill and it cost her $0. Part of the $30 she pays every month. 2 hrs of looking up caches and only 150kb downloaded. Not bad.

Sorry Dooghan just had to state the obvious ;)

I did realise there are better ways to do it.

That's what the phrase "Its a bit cumbersome...." eludes too. :grinnerYour right. Everyone has there own way of doing it.

KevL
14th September 2008, 06:39 PM
Everyone has a mobile phone. Ok I don't. I just use the wife's phone.

2 hrs of looking up caches and only 150kb downloaded. Not bad.

At that price I'll bookmark the page. I thought it would download more but I'll give it a look and see how much it is.

Thanks

Kev

bshwckr
14th September 2008, 07:41 PM
I do a similar but better thing on my PDA with Oziexplorer. With GSAK, I create a waypoint file of geocaches for the area I will be visiting. I then generate the HTML files, again using GSAK. I copy the HTML files to my PDA. I then run a macro in GSAK that creates a link from the waypoint file to the HTML files.
Then, in map mode on OziCE, I tap and hold the geocache waypoint shown on the map, the menu box pops up, I select "Open Attachment" and the off-line web page of the cache appears. I have tried lots of paperless geocache methods but this works the best.
There is also Trimble Geocache Navigator. Apart from the data charges, network availability and the limitations of the GPS in my Nokia 6110, Trimble Geocache Navigator would win out. I use Trimble when I find myself with time to cache when I have not prepared. It is also very good.
bshwckr

Dooghan
15th September 2008, 05:28 AM
At that price I'll bookmark the page. I thought it would download more but I'll give it a look and see how much it is.

Thanks

KevAll you download from the above sites is text and NO graphics. It's the way those sites are setup and why I only use so little bandwidth.

KevL
15th September 2008, 08:36 AM
It was something I hadn't considered. Knowing telstras data charges, I rarely used the browser side of my phone. Thats the easiest way to avoid surprises. :sick3
I had a quick look at a cache or 2 last night , the data usage will filter through to my usage page soon, but as text only it should use bugger all.

Kev