PDA

View Full Version : Tracks4Australia is rather nice...

davea1963
14th August 2005, 08:57 PM
Hi all,

Well, call me a silly bugger, but I only realised tonight that I can upload the Tracks4Australia maps to my GPS using Garmin's Trip & Waypoint Manager software!

Very happy little vegemite now 'cos this looks to contain most of the bush roads and tracks that I travel in the course of my work. It also appears to contain most of the communities I service and those that it doesn't, I can always add the next time I visit them.

I was travelling around Darwin and environs today ferrying the kids to and from events and noticed how inaccurate is the standard basemap that came with the eTrex. ****** awful in fact and (for instance) they have Darwin city about 3km out of place! Noonamah is also misspelt, tut, tut!

Anyway, if you want to get off the beaten track, Tracks4Australia has my vote (at least until I get the Natmap stuff uploaded! :) )

TTYS

daviddth
14th August 2005, 09:33 PM
I was travelling around Darwin and environs today ferrying the kids to and from events and noticed how inaccurate is the standard basemap that came with the eTrex. ****** awful in fact and (for instance) they have Darwin city about 3km out of place! Noonamah is also misspelt, tut, tut!

Great stuff. I have started logging basically every trip on the GPS so when I finally get access to Tracks4Australia then I can help update where I can. As for the bacic maps, City Navigator Australia V6 is great in many areas, but they are shocking in others. I told them there was 2 new estates that have not been logged, and did they want me to send tracklogs and comments on street names - the answer was no. Not no thanks, just no, with no further comments. Tracks4Australia might be a little more interested (I hope)

Sigh

Dave

Pluto
14th August 2005, 09:53 PM
..Tracks4Australia might be a little more interested...Definately, but don't expect a reply from Graham for at least 3 weeks. He's on Holidays.

daviddth
14th August 2005, 10:04 PM
Definately, but don't expect a reply from Graham for at least 3 weeks. He's on Holidays.

Yeah I saw that. When I tried to join, it said he would not be back for a couple of weeks. Pity that he could not deligate applications to a second person (So we could at least READ the group, even if we could not write messages). I'd like to prepare the tracks now so they are usefull, and dont want to do anything that I find is a waste of time & the tracks are useless to him.

i.e what does he want - obviously more accurate plots of the stuff already there, but also country town details, down the streets and tracks in the area? Also does he want points of interest? (Touristy things etc)

Dave

Pluto
14th August 2005, 10:34 PM
...I'd like to prepare the tracks now so they are usefull, and dont want to do anything that I find is a waste of time & the tracks are useless to him...Have a look at the attachments. It explains what he's after. You can start sending your track logs to Graham now and join later.

There is also some info here (http://www.gpsoz.com.au/tracks4australia/)

daviddth
17th August 2005, 02:39 PM
Yeah I have started preparing now, but wanted to see someones track log, or send one to see if thats what Graham wants (Too much or too little detail). In the next few weeks I intend to add a thousand or more km of tracklogs, so did not want to waste the effort.

I have begun adding extra points to the logs like cemeteries etc for later as well (I do a lot of driving for family history porposes & visit LOTS of cemetaries)

Dave

Pluto
18th August 2005, 12:03 AM
I doubt you could give him too much detail. Make sure you're sending active track logs. All Garmin units trim saved track logs down to 500 points per track.

daviddth
18th August 2005, 05:03 AM
Actually I have not worked out how to save tracklogs on the Garmin Quest, but I have only bothered saving active logs so far (Including some 1 second per point logs of new estates). Many of the logs are well in excess of 3000 points, so I gather they are still the active log, but they are often broken up into smaller sections that appear to be when I get in/out of the car, or when the GPS loses the satelites

Dave

Pluto
18th August 2005, 02:28 PM
Actually I have not worked out how to save tracklogs on the Garmin Quest, but I have only bothered saving active logs so far (Including some 1 second per point logs of new estates). Many of the logs are well in excess of 3000 points, so I gather they are still the active log, but they are often broken up into smaller sections that appear to be when I get in/out of the car, or when the GPS loses the satelites...I had a look at the Owners Manual (http://www.garmin.com/manuals/Quest_OwnersManual.pdf) and it appears that the Quest only has an active track, with no capacity to save tracks. The Active track has capacity for 10,000 track points. For the purpose of T4A, you should be setting the Record interval to a fairly small distance (a few metres) or setting it to "Auto" and setting the Resolution to "Most Often".

The breaks in the track are exactly what you believe them to be. Breaks in the satelite reception for any reason. Some brands of GPS don't have this track break feature and it makes for some very messy tracklogs.