PDA

View Full Version : Choosing the right set-up?

itsmejimbo
14th February 2008, 07:42 PM
G'day all. I'm interested in getting set-up with a gps and laptop mapping solution but I just don't know where to begin. First this is what I want to be able to do:

1. Be able to plan a days trip on laptop they night before setting out.

2. Upload information to gps hand-held unit for day reference so as not to have to use a laptop on the move.

3. Be able to track course on gps unit for up to 8 hours straight.

4. At days end download trip information into laptop for viewing.

Now the destination I am working with is the West coast of Tasmania so high quality accurate maps of Tasmania would be required. Mode of travel is horse back and duration of planned trip is in the area 120 days. The gear would have to be reliable and tuff as the trip is going to be well away from civilization.

If anyone would like to suggest anything or maybe give me a few ideas to think about, or even call me crazy, it would be really helpful.

Nicko
14th February 2008, 09:47 PM
Hi itsmejimbo

Well, I suggest the following:

A laptop with USB and Bluetooth connectivity.
A Garmin GPS 60CSx
OzTopo version2
OziExplorer PC
Digital Maps for Tassie

itsmejimbo
14th February 2008, 11:21 PM
Thanks for a quick reply Nicko. And sorry I forgot to mention in this thread about the crossover I already have. You are spot on. Its a great toy for work but for winter, in Tassie, on the West coast.....maybe not. Are there any particular digital maps that you might recommend? I have heard about the Tasmap collection on DVD can be bought from Service Tasmania. Also does anyone have any suggestions on a robust and up-to date laptop that might handle such a journey?

michaeld
15th February 2008, 05:03 AM
are you taking the laptop on the horse or in a back up car and an explorist with DAST has good mapping at hand

itsmejimbo
15th February 2008, 02:41 PM
Hey michaeld. No the laptop will be with me all the time, so on the horse. I'm at this stage planning the trip with no support 4wd. The laptop is really for end of the day planning and most likely journal entries, also most likely will be used to store pictures from digital cam. I don't plan to use the laptop during transit. Thanks for the suggestion I shall look it up.

Please keep the ideas flowing. I'm open to anything atm. Also if a mod could answer this quick question, is this an appropriate thread or even forum to discuss my travel plans. If not please let me know and I'll keep it strickly GPS related.