PDA

View Full Version : Auto Routing Software For Laptop

smee_e_e
16th August 2005, 12:46 AM
Other than CO PILOT is there any other software cable of auto routing and providing voice prompts thats will run on a laptop, rather than a PDA?

Dooghan
16th August 2005, 05:01 AM
I know oziexplorer is not auto routing but when I went down to Brisbane over xmas I setup a route all the way to my hotel room. At each waypoint in the route I attached a voice prompt to either turn left or right. I also had to setup the distance away from the waypoint that I wanted to have it play the file. So if you where doing 100km then I had it setup to play 300 to 400m away from the waypoint. If it was 60km then about 150 to 200m. these file come with oziexplorer, didn't take long to setup and it worked really well

Craigus
16th August 2005, 06:57 AM
I use Map Monkey. It uses the Destinator SDK and workes VERY well for street navigation. :cool:

HappyJacky
16th August 2005, 02:21 PM
Craigus,

where did you go to get the Destinator SDK?

Craigus
16th August 2005, 02:36 PM
I had destinator for my Ipaq. :D

HappyJacky
16th August 2005, 02:55 PM
bugga :(

swaddo
16th August 2005, 03:21 PM
I found this on mp3car.com

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-46533.html

has some hints and tips from the author of mapmonkey :) including cost effective legal registration of the SDK for $50 (USD i think).

try that :)

alpha993
16th August 2005, 03:27 PM
I had destinator for my Ipaq. :D

so it's included automatically with the ppc version?

I have an old version 2 of Destinator - will that work?

swaddo
16th August 2005, 03:28 PM
I should add that I have been playing with map monkey now for a week or so and it is good. It has some quirks, (like directing me from Canberra to the Namadgi National Park via Yass) and some of the map data is a little off (showed me driving about 50m west of the Monaro Hwy on the way back from Cooma) but all things considered it is pretty damn good.

The kids also find it quite amusing when the lappy reports in a loud voice that I am speeding :rolleyes:

Cheers
Blake

Craigus
16th August 2005, 04:36 PM
As far as I know Destinator 2 was available on PC. You can use the Destinator 3 files to power MapMonkey though I would be looking at getting the SDK from the above link If I were to set it up again.

CrazyNuts
16th August 2005, 05:11 PM
sorry

CrazyNuts
16th August 2005, 05:26 PM
can anyone tell me how i add maps into MapMonkey and what kind of maps i can attach? Does it accept .map files at all?

Every time i create the folder and add the .map file in there i can not load it in MapMonkey. It says that there were errors in the map and that it's returning to the previously loaded map. Then it just crashes :(

penguin_patrol
16th August 2005, 08:22 PM
i use Destinator find it better than MapMonkey
other than that not aware of many others.

BurnieM
16th August 2005, 09:48 PM
Garmins MapSource City Navigator with the free nRoute download will give you autorouting on a laptop

City Navigator with the free Que download will give you autorouting on a PocketPC (but only with a Garmin GPS)

City Navigator is of course not free - $349 actually

TuffRR
17th August 2005, 07:48 AM
i use Destinator find it better than MapMonkey
other than that not aware of many others.

On the PC???

AFAIK, Mapmonkey enables the use of Destinator on the PC otherwise it is restricted (currently) to PDA's only.

UncySpam
17th August 2005, 05:56 PM
freedrive is just like mapmonkey - but does require a copy of destinator to be owned.

to get maps into destinator you buy them with destinator... they are a custom format.

Yes Destinator maps are inaccurate - half of jim pike ave. (mainish road in south canberra) so it always tries to take me the VERY long way home. Cant work out how to edit the map to fix it up...

JimM
21st August 2005, 10:49 AM
Sorry guys, I'm a newbie, but am wondering what is MapMonkey, why do you need it, etc.

Cheers

alpha993
21st August 2005, 06:17 PM
Yes Destinator maps are inaccurate - half of jim pike ave. (mainish road in south canberra) so it always tries to take me the VERY long way home. Cant work out how to edit the map to fix it up...

what version of Destinator are you using?

I played with an old v2 map set on PDA - tried to have me turn right off the bridge to Tuggeranong Town Centre to get onto the underpass :eek: Also tried to navigate me anti-clockwise around Parliament House (ie: into oncoming 1 way traffic :eek: :eek: ). Apart from that, most suburban stuff on the south side was pretty good (apart from newer areas obviosuly).

I see from www.c1au.com that the PN version is due this month. What's the difference between that and v3?

alpha993
21st August 2005, 06:20 PM
Craigus,

where did you go to get the Destinator SDK?

see http://www.c1au.com/destinator.html

REGISTERED C1 DESTINATOR USERS: To receive a free copy of Destinator SDK, please send a request to support@c1au.com Please note that we are only able to supply SDK CDs to Existing C1 customers