PDA

View Full Version : Magellan Meridian Info

arthurking83
19th August 2005, 11:41 PM
I don't normally take it upon myself to start an info thread, but I'm just curious what other Meridian owners are doing?
Just some of the info I thought would be handy.........battery life, what info you find to help or tweak your Meridian.
I have a Color.
I must have spent at least 24hours a day more than I should have searching as much info as possible.
From normal Alkaline batteries I get about 12-15 hours straight,(with the light on 30sec time, very little use). It may stay on after a rest for 5 minutes, before batteries are only good for the kids toys. Note I find that there is around 1/4 power left in them, when the Color turns off :confused:

Couple of things that I read:
1. turn off WAAS (see the hidden menus pdf) this saves some battery life.
2. Set the compass to use "True" instead of "Magnetic" in the setup menu.
this (maybe) saves battery power, and if you are referencing the GPS data to a map, and the maps use 'True' referencing, then it only makes sense??
(not too sure on this but I expect to be corrected)

A few things that I've experienced:
1. Stupid Magellan changed the power button workings :mad:
On my GPS2000 you had to hold the power button for 2-5 sec to power up(this made sense)
This thing is backwards!! It would seem more natural to have the power up on holding the button down for some time, and the light function to operate on a quick press :confused:
So what happens when you put the Meri inyour pocket?..........it goes into a sort of hidden menu of it's own(undocumented too). What I saw was small x's and o's on the screen! Really weird stuff and had to hard reset (see hidden menu pdf again) to power it up. My heart raced for a few seconds when it wouldn't power up.
2. the Color screen is attrocious without the backlight. They seem to have tinted the screen?? the 'glass' is much darker than my mates Platinum! Why(Magellan)?
3. I tried some AA Lithium batteries. @ $12 a pair as opposed to $3(ish) they are horrendously priced, but will last(me!) about 30+ hours. I had it on for nearly 2 days(as a test). I gave up before the Lithiums did, and they are lighter in weight too. Worth the money?? dunno. If I was on a 10 day hike, I'd rather be carrying 1/2 as many lighter weight Lithiums!!

I suppose there are other tips for use on the Platinum, that wont be helpful on the other Meridians, but I'd like to know every little detail of what the Meridian can do.
As I've had my Color for 3-4 weeks, I'm still a bit hungry for info................

And if you are hungry for mapping info........see Mikhail...........
http://www.msh-tools.com/

michaeld
29th August 2005, 06:49 PM
http://gpsinformation.net/ this site has more info than I can use

yogie
29th August 2005, 08:28 PM
I have the Yellow meridian and I love it, its idiot proof and as I get more proficiant its got the bells and whistles that I might want. My mate has the colour and It anoys me in the sun when you cant see the screen. thats why I bought the yellow one. but the yellow one cant take the newer software :(
I use only duracells in it and they last ages on a trip to the simpson earlier this year, used about dozen or so batteries for a two week trip but now I also have the 12volt ciggarette cord. I like the fact that when its covered in mud and crap I can rinse it off with the camel back anhd keep going, its big enough not to lose and the main reason I bought the meridain over the garmin was it looked like it was a very robust unit and not too fragile, hope this makes some sense. :D :D :D

Avs
27th June 2008, 11:36 PM
)
A few things that I've experienced:
1. Stupid Magellan changed the power button workings :mad:
On my GPS2000 you had to hold the power button for 2-5 sec to power up(this made sense)
This thing is backwards!! It would seem more natural to have the power up on holding the button down for some time, and the light function to operate on a quick press :confused:

I had this happen to me when I updated the firmware to Rev5.34 on my sportrak color but I later found I could change the power key settings under Menu ==> Setup ==> Power key.

It changed they way the receiver powers up and down.
Power up: Hold power key for +2 seconds.
Power dwn: Press power key then the enter key within 5 seconds.

I've never used a meridian tho so there are probably some differences between it and the sportrak but from what I've read they have similar features appart from expandable memory.

MC KENNA
1st July 2008, 10:26 AM
Hi

Have you still got your meridian I have bought the model from a year before monochrome not colour and am looking for contour maps to load on to the SD card. It is nothing flash bought it second hand as I hve a limited budget. I got lots of road maps with it but no contours which is what I'm looking for as I do a bit of bush walking, hiking and biking. So tracks trails and contours are the go.

Gave it a run geocacheing just to figure out how it works and best settings - work in progress - Magellan sucks at writing manuals like you lots of questions.....

Regards McKenna

Nicko
1st July 2008, 12:47 PM
I have DiscoverAUS Streets and Tracks available if you want it, for a price of course. Please see www.nextdestination.com.au for details.

mickclean
2nd August 2009, 06:54 PM
I have DiscoverAUS Streets and Tracks available if you want it, for a price of course.

I was just wondering if this was still available, noticed that much of the support for the meridan has been taken of the web?

Cheers

Mick

Nicko
2nd August 2009, 08:30 PM
Most definitely although I still have some accessories left such as suction mount and PC data cable.

paramidget
2nd August 2009, 10:43 PM
Nicko. By chance do you have DiscoverAus topo for the meridian platinum and if so what price? May be interested in the suction mount too!!

Nicko
3rd August 2009, 12:06 AM
prices are in the online shop, DAST is in the GPS Specials category

http://www.octapc.com.au/category608_1.htm

kombivan
1st April 2011, 08:08 PM
I want maps of australia for the meridian gps and the meridian platinum gps copies on cd ok if u can spare one. :hatoff

Nicko
1st April 2011, 09:35 PM
These are no longer available. You will need to contact Next Destination on 08 9444 0233

kombivan
1st April 2011, 10:50 PM
Yeah Nicko its very hard to find maps for these even in the day but they are such a good device and its a shame magellan has dissreguarded them. I did contact magellan to no satisfaction and there are probably plenty of these maps out there I just have to wait an be paitient and some one will want to find a good home for their old realiable maps. Thanks for the tip as well.:hatoff

The Explorer
2nd April 2011, 10:07 AM
Yeah Nicko its very hard to find maps for these even in the day but they are such a good device and its a shame magellan has dissreguarded them. I did contact magellan to no satisfaction and there are probably plenty of these maps out there I just have to wait an be paitient and some one will want to find a good home for their old realiable maps. Thanks for the tip as well.:hatoff

While you are waiting for "proper" maps to turn up maybe try these...

http://maps.festy.org/downloads/magellan/meridian/

They are based on OSM data and are now a few years old which means they will be lacking info in some areas but better than staring at a blank screen

Chhers
Greg

kombivan
7th April 2011, 11:32 AM
Does anyone have a firmware update CD for the Magellam meridian GPS.:hatoff
If you do I would love to hear from you.:hatoff

The Explorer
8th April 2011, 10:59 AM
Does anyone have a firmware update CD for the Magellam meridian GPS.:hatoff
If you do I would love to hear from you.:hatoff

Download it from here

Magellan Platinum Software update page (http://support.magellangps.com/support/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=220)

Ignore reference to Nth America/Europe...same as Australian update.

Cheers
Greg