PDA

View Full Version : downloading off the GPS

yogie
21st August 2005, 01:27 PM
Howdy guys. I need to know how to down load a series of waypints and turn it into a file like the chap who down loaded his wagattans points. I did camerons corner and strezliki tracks in jan this year and some of you might want them, well maybe :D , any way its a merdian with discoveraus1 mapping.

Hope this makes sense.... :D

and one more thing please make it idiot proof :eek:

Pluto
21st August 2005, 08:02 PM
The first question is: What software are you using to support your GPS?

So far most members have been posting OziExplorer track files (.plt). There are other applications around that you could also use. Such as EasyGPS, G7toWin (I think that's the name), GPS Utility, as well as OEM software such as Magellan's MapSend and Garmin's MapSource.

There are also GPS Data conversion utilities available, like GPS Babel, but these may not talk directly to your GPS and are only good for changing the format. Such as converting Mapsend waypoint files to OziExplorer format.

Hope this is a start for you.

yogie
21st August 2005, 08:15 PM
the only software I have is Discoveraus. Do I need another software to create it??

Pluto
21st August 2005, 08:22 PM
the only software I have is Discoveraus. Do I need another software to create it??Nope... That will do fine.

Unfortunately, I'll have to leave the detailed instructions to someone else... I'm a Garmin user.

BTW. Whigh model GPS do you use? Don't bother answering, I just reread your original post. Sorry about that. :o

arthurking83
21st August 2005, 10:17 PM
Hi Yogie,
I use G7ToWin, and it's kind of confusing at first, but within 3 attempts, I have started to get the hang of it!
It's free, so try it!
G7ToWin (http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/)

Once you get the hang of this program, it will save the track file, waypoints, and route files to most of the popular file types like Magellan, Oziexplorer, or Garmin, etc, etc....
I'm sure most people prefer Ozi though??

Also I use this program to see how fast I was going at any given time during my day!
If you want info, just ask :)

cheers.