PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for PDA GPS

strider01
21st August 2005, 05:06 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering what opinions people have about auto routing software for PDA's? I've got an XDAII so far, am looking into a BT GPS to link to the PDA (starting to settle on Garmin's BT unit) but I'm not sure about the auto routing software side.

I've seen CoPilot and it seems pretty good indeed. But I know there are others and would like to know pros and cons of them.

Also, am I going the right way with the Garmin unit? I already have an eMap GPS which I use when going on 4WD trips using OziExplorer. This new unit will be used primarily for navigating suburban areas so topos aren't needed!!

Anyway, give it your best shot!!

coolman
25th August 2005, 09:17 PM
I use a Leadtek BT GPS with an XDA (previously II now a IIs) and have found it good with Oziexplorer. I do not use it for Autorouting.

One factor I would look is the ability of the BT GPS to bond with more than 1 device. So I could have the PDA with moving map running but also the Laptop connected doing all the logging etc.

strider01
26th August 2005, 08:18 AM
Thanks Coolman. I actually picled up the BT GPS and Copilot yesterday from Brian and the guys over at GPSOZ. Ordered it Wednesday and it was here Thursday (to Central Coast NSW). Makes for pretty impressive service. Been playing around with it last night and will be using it today to go to Gosford and see what happens. I know where to go anyway but I figure if something goes wrong I can go back to relying on my brain for info.

Haven't done that for a while now!! :)

Brutus
7th September 2005, 04:02 PM
Is there any other opinions on this as I have myself a HP RZ1710.
doesn't have BT but wanting to put some kind of auto-routing software on it.
I'm assuming i have other options besides BT to connect up a GPS reciever.

What are peoples thoughts?

Brutus
13th September 2005, 07:32 AM
Still no ideas? Just picked the iPaq up and thought it had a CF slot but no it's an SD slot. Anyone know what the options for connecting a gps reciever to it are?
Is there such a thing as an SD GPS reciever rather than a CF?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Shady
13th September 2005, 03:15 PM
From what I understand the RZ 1710 does not have enough memory to run the Destinator or Travroute software so it might pay to investigate this first before lashing out on a reciever.

Shady

kdub
14th September 2005, 11:39 AM
You can get SD (SDIO) GPS receivers, but ppl usually have to use a 256-1gb sd card in the sd slot to run the mapping software.. catch 22.. sorry mate...

THE other option is to get a CF or PCMCIA Jacket that slips on to the back of the Ipaq.... then you can run the gps in that (cf gps units are only about $100 clams).. and the sd card in the sd slot..

cheers..

ozrockman
15th October 2005, 09:21 AM
You can buy some car cradles that use the infra red port to transfer data to the PDA (i use one and it works well - ipaq 1930). Google the pda gps car .

UncySpam
17th October 2005, 02:00 PM
on ja-gps they sell a sdio gps that has an sd slot in it... which would help to alleviate your issue.

in regards to software choice, I use tomtom 5, but i've found it to be a bit buggy on my axim x50v - others tell me it works perfectly for them, so try before you buy if you can. Avoid destinator unless its your only choice - its maps are poor at best in anywhere other than major cities

Nicko
18th October 2005, 09:09 AM
No slot in a GPS will assist as this slot is purely for maps not the program. The program is stored on the PDA itself and the RZ doesn't have enough memory for either travroute or Destinator. Destinator 3 recommends a minimum of 32MB of onboard memory for the program and the same for the maps. The newer Destinator (PN) requires minimum of 64MB of on board memory and you will need a minimum 128MB datacard to store all of Australia on it. The best you are able to do with the RZ is Ozi-Explorer or Trackranger. Note, Destinator is available from GPS Australia's shop.

Please ensure you assess what you want to use the PPC for first then find out what program does the job and what he minimum requirements are. I would also recommend you never choose the barest minimum as you may find it will be unusable with updated programs within 12 months

Nicko
18th October 2005, 09:14 AM
I forgot to include the fact that a slot in the PDA is no the on-board memory, that slot is for the maps or dataset (the database of the streets/cities etc). You can have a 2GB datacard in the slot and it still won't help.

PED04
22nd October 2005, 08:52 PM
in regards to software choice, I use tomtom 5, but i've found it to be a bit buggy on my axim x50v - others tell me it works perfectly for them, so try before you buy if you can. Avoid destinator unless its your only choice - its maps are poor at best in anywhere other than major cities

I didn't realise Tomtom has released their PPC software; I thought they were just selling a combined hardware/software solution (in their Go range).

I have to say I've found Destinator's mapping to be good in the cities (and random country towns); Mapquest seems to have done a better job than Sensis, which sends you to some odd places (seems to be a street numbering problem).