PDA

View Full Version : Laptop GPS Setup

kingkong
23rd August 2005, 12:33 PM
Just wondering what people think is the best receiver to buy to plug into a laptop and use with mapping software (eg oziexplorer)?

There is two options I'm thinking about:
-buy a receiver for use only with the laptop. This is good and bad. Cheap, but may damage my new laptop off road.
-spend a bit more and buy a portable unit that I can use with the laptop, or by itself.

Haven't decided which way to go yet. Was looking for some information/opinions.

Thanks. :cool:

edit: just found this. Is this something that would work well?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-GPS-Receiver-w-USB-interface-for-Laptop-Notebook-PC_W0QQitemZ5799246303QQcategoryZ34290QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem

Craigus
23rd August 2005, 12:41 PM
Hi mate, I have that exact GPS in my car.. I'm using it with my lappy for the moment (I'm building a carputer) I have no complaints so far.

bcasot
9th September 2005, 05:37 PM
I use a bluetooth gps and no wires is great

arthurking83
9th September 2005, 07:42 PM
I always reckon, you have to define what you are going to use it for, before you buy it.
eg. are you going to mountain bike, bush walk, offshore fish, etc....whilst using the GPS?
If so, then a handheld GPSr is going to be more appropriate, as a bluetooth or USB type is useless in this situation. (not entirely!! You could use a laptop while boating.....but better advised against it!!

If it's to act as a cheap in-car navigation system (carputer) then the bluetooth/USB type is most appropriate.
They are generally priced $90-120 or so, but as the Onlne Shop had some Garmin GPSr cheap (@$150 or so) a while back this could prove to be the most "practical" solution.

I'd advise to buy a cheap GPSr and connect it to a lappy, rather than a host controlled GPS.

Define your budget, organise your usage priority, then ask the "which GPS type" question.

(psst: go with a handheld....handheld) ;)

michaeld
9th September 2005, 07:48 PM
I got the hand held GPS first then a USB one for the laptop as an extra but the hand held is most the useful

daveg
25th January 2006, 08:04 PM
I agree, mucking around with a separate GPS and PDA/laptop involves more cables, chargers, etc. I think my house contains at least 5 chargers per room for all the gadgets and I'm losing track of what goes with what. A few standard interoperable sizes would be a nice idea :)