PDA

View Full Version : Magellan Triton Series GPS

bundy4x4
25th February 2008, 01:07 PM
I have received a Triton 400. Haven't used it much yet but I can confirm that DAST sd card works fine. I am still learning how to use it for now.

The unit has also undergone a firmware upgrade to Version 1.10. Vantage point handles this nicely. Easier than explorist.

Nicko
25th February 2008, 02:42 PM
Bundy, is the 400 an Aussie basemapped unit? If not then what happens to the map when you zoom out, do you get the USA basemap or nothing showing at all?

bundy4x4
10th March 2008, 09:10 PM
The us basemap shows aus coastline and state capitals. Before the unit gets a fix it starts in Los Angeles. Locks up regularly. Vantage Point is a bit of a challenge to use. The unit is slow to respond to key presses

bundy4x4
27th April 2008, 04:17 PM
Has anyone else got a Triton? The latest firmware refuses to load and the unit is incredibly slow to respond to anything. I have gone back to using my Explorist 600 it is heaps better than the Triton so far!

Nicko
27th April 2008, 07:16 PM
Is the GPS a USA or AU unit? Which update are you tring to do AU or USA? Explorer will confirm this but I think you can't use US firmware with AU unit and vise-versa

The Explorer
27th April 2008, 08:36 PM
Is the GPS a USA or AU unit? Which update are you tring to do AU or USA? Explorer will confirm this but I think you can't use US firmware with AU unit and vise-versa

Hello - No expert on subject but firmware upgrades are now all done automatically through VantagePoint ...cut from website..

"Update 1.31 is now available for this product, but VantagePoint must be used to install it. You can learn about VantagePoint and download it here."

i.e. You can not download upgrade as a file and install as you could with eXplorist or Meridian (etc). No idea if there is US and AU versions but I suspect just one universal version for all.

If you continue to have an issue please provide some additional details here, someone maybe able to help ..or return to place of purchase/contact next Destination for assistance.

Cheers
Greg

oztindog
19th June 2008, 04:59 AM
Hi, just recived new triton 300 and installed latest firmware.
drove from townsville to brissy and the unit locked up ever few minutes . when it was running it was not leaving a visable track behind the curser, an aplication error came up 4 or 5 times something like outdoor.exe or simular.

very very annoyed with thiis unit, next dest said it was the firmware and a new firmware is going to be released 1 or 2 week in july, also nmea doeset work.. untill ne FW.

anybody had simular errors?
thanks

Pete

Muddy
24th June 2008, 07:22 AM
:confused Having exactly the same problems Oz, bought Triton 1000 back in Feb. Has been ok. Then last week it just started to cut out, slow response, and now can't use it due to an application error coming up on the screen seconds after I turn it on. Getting no joy from Vantage Point either. About to ring Next D today, sounds like I'll get no immediate fix there either. Paid $ 1250.00 for 1000 model travel pack, boy do I feel ripped off. Not good.

team waldron
24th June 2008, 05:21 PM
I am having the same problem with a 400.

The solution seems to be to reinstall an earlier version of the firmware.

See www.tritonforum.com

I take no responsibility if this doesn't work.

jonesy
25th June 2008, 02:32 PM
I've sen this crashing issue first hand today, see Here (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5546) .

Unfortunately sometimes (and I'm in this boat), I have to have version 1 of a new product when it comes out because I love gadgets. But I'm glad a went for the Garmin 60 series over the new Magellans, as they were released when I bought the 60cx.

There was much a claim that Magellans offroad mapping was much better then anything Garmin could offer. This might be true but it's no point having great maps if the unit and OS/Software is unreliable.

I hope for all those that have these units that these issues get sorted by Magellan. In saying that I would never buy anything again that runs a Microsoft OS and I'm guessing that it's there the problem lies for Magellan rather than their hardware. :goodluck

brettsgu
4th October 2008, 02:32 PM
Hi i Bought a triton 500 value pack from prestige comms in WA opened the box loaded latest firmware like the instructions say. tryed to calibrate compass and got OUTDOORNAV.EXE fatal application error. Called Next Destination and they told me faulty unit and to send it back to them. I recieved a replacement fired it up went to calibrate compass and Guess what , I got same error. Plus wouldnt navigate properly , kept constantly showing ticking clock like it was thinking. Rang Next destination and spoke with person who basically said nothing could be done and to just keep sending back for replacements. I said i want my money back as they provided unit to prestige comms and it doesnt perform as suggested. he said too bad . I would steer clear of next destination and never deal with them again!!!
On the other hand I contacted Prestige Communications and they were GREAT !!!. The guy on the phone contacted ND and Rang me back within the Hour and organised for me to return the product for a refund or different model. What great people to deal with and i would recommend PRESTIGE COMMUNICATIONS to any one.

Nicko
4th October 2008, 03:04 PM
Brettsgu, repeating the same complaint three times in different threads is not a good idea, you only have to post it once to get people's attention, it is called spamming :)

jonesy
4th October 2008, 07:17 PM
Hi i Bought a triton 500 value pack from prestige comms in WA opened the box loaded latest firmware like the instructions say. tryed to calibrate compass and got OUTDOORNAV.EXE fatal application error.

That's why you need to spend some time on a great site like this BEFORE you buy :hatoff

Nicko
4th October 2008, 10:14 PM
That's why you need to spend some time on a great site like this BEFORE you buy

That's why we are better than Prestige :) However, we all have made mistakes/errors and I am sure we all have had a few upset customers and I am in that category but it's a learning curve to run a business and minimise the stress factor.

Admittedly I like the guys at Prestige too and a few others such as Brian and Kirsten at GPSOZ and Terry and Lyn at Terlin Outbacker.

I have sold some Tritons and CrossoverGPS because for some people they have decided that that's what they want and sometimes it is like the Ford/Holden caper.

brettsgu
6th October 2008, 07:25 AM
Sorry about posting on 3 different threads i was pretty dam mad. I have definatly learnt my lesson and thats why i registered for this site now i can do some homework. The explorist xl has caught my eye and has obviously been out for a while now. i have read some reveiws on here and it seems pretty stable i wouldnt mind hearing from some people that own 1. I intend to use it in the 4x4 when going bush. :soapbox

Nicko
6th October 2008, 10:38 AM
The Explorist XL is/was a very good unit indeed, large screen and stable. I said is/was because it is now a discontinued unit every where else bar in Australia. Why do you want to go the Magellan way?

brettsgu
6th October 2008, 07:42 PM
i was mainly looking at Magellan for there Topo maps and tracks

Hoyks
11th October 2008, 07:34 AM
I have a triton 400 running Oliverk maps and it works fine, I got the 400 because it was cheaper and didn't have the compass/barometer and other stuff that's nice, but I don't need. I loaded the latest firmware upgrade when I got it. The maps lack topo detail but so far all the roads ive ridden are in the right place.

The only issue I had was lending my SD card to my daughter as her camera deleted all my map files. Of course I didn't find this out till I was a long way from home.