PDA

View Full Version : Mapsource error

hutchjnr
16th April 2008, 04:35 PM
Prob a stupid question... Just looking at Google Earth and notice GPS support...

What about upgrading Google Earth to Google Earth Plus?!

Is it possible then to upload the maps?!

Dooghan
16th April 2008, 07:59 PM
Guys this is the thread about Shonky maps and anything to DO WITH Shonky maps. OSM questions, errors, etc should be posted other in the OSM forum. I've split off the last few post and made a new thread HERE (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4633)

thrasherdave
30th April 2008, 09:00 PM
I got the CD from GPSA today and have spent hours and hours at the computer trying to make it all work.

Here are the instructions:

The Programs are stored under Garmin and should be installed in the following order and within the Garmin Folder created by Mapsource.:

1. Training Centre
2. Mapsource
3. ShonkyMaps
4. Tracks4Australia
5. Contours Australia
6. POI loader (you will need to copy past the POIs onto your PC.
7. Winzip (in case any files are zipped)

Once you have installed the programs close them all and restart mapsource.

So, "The Programs are stored under Garmin"
What does that mean? Currently they are on the DVD. Does it mean I should create a folder called "Garmin"?

"and should be installed in the following order and within the Garmin Folder created by Mapsource"

But Mapsource is the second thing on the list, and it says I should install them in order.
OK, I'll install Mapsource first, by running Mapsource_6136.exe off the DVD. I do this, apparently successfully, until I try to start Mapsource, when I get the msg:
"There is a problem with the Mapsource installation. Please re-install Mapsource and start it again"

I've now done that 3 or 4 times with the same result.

Probably a good thing, because I also have a problem with the rest of the instructions:

"and should be installed in the following order and within the Garmin Folder created by Mapsource"

Does that mean I copy the folders off the CD and place them as sub-folders to wherever the Mapsource install has put the "Garmin" folder? Or does it mean I should run the various setup files and place the results in the Garmin folder? If they are like the Mapsource install, you don't get the chance to say where you want to install them.

"6. POI loader (you will need to copy past the POIs onto your PC."

Err what POI loader, and WTF does "you will need to copy past the POIs" actually mean.

I'm ready to throw the whole lot in the bin, but that's because it's late and I'm tired and very grumpy.

DaveO

Nicko
30th April 2008, 11:25 PM
Uninstall everything associated with that CD/DVD.

Re-install in the order mentioned in the "Read Me First" file.

You do not need to create or copy folders, just go into the Training Centre folder and click on the exe file.

First install the trainings center software. This installs a basemap in the mapsource directory, now that the
directory is there install the mapsource update.

You only get a pc basemap, but you can use custom maps now to get more detail such as ShonkyMaps.

Once Training centre is installed do the same for Mapsource and the others. Whilst doing this do not allow the system to start up any of the programs.

If you still have problems you may have to do some changes within the PC system file, details which is located in this forum but I will direct you if you still have problems or that someone here knows exactly where the information is.

thrasherdave
1st May 2008, 08:01 AM
OK, thanks. Now I've got it working OK.
It wasn't clear that the 'Training Centre' setup actually creates Mapsource and the basemap as well, and the exe under 'mapsource' is actually some sort of update.

It seems that I can (& did) install Shonkymaps, Contours 121 and T4A anywhere I like, and Mapsource can find them.

I did not do anything with the stuff in the USB Drivers folder, because they seem to have already been created by the Training Centre installation. Should I have overwritten these with the files on the CD?

And what about the instruction "POI loader (you will need to copy past the POIs onto your PC." ?
As I said, I just don't understand this sentence.

DaveO

Michael
1st May 2008, 08:32 AM
And what about the instruction "POI loader (you will need to copy past the POIs onto your PC." ?
Another typo! :lol2
Should read:
"POI loader (you will need to copy & paste the POIs onto your PC." ? :hatoff

regards Michael

thrasherdave
1st May 2008, 09:16 AM
Another typo! :lol2
Should read:
"POI loader (you will need to copy & paste the POIs onto your PC." ? :hatoff
regards Michael

Tks for the help, but what #$%^& POI loader and what #$%^&* POIs? Or rather, what do these files look like?

Michael
1st May 2008, 09:24 AM
POI - Points Of Interest
A data base of places, shops, public toilets whatever that can be loaded into mapsource & display on your GPS
Read the Mapsource Help Menu. Open 'help' click on 'index' tab, type POI, then read the related topics.

There are many types of POI files available.
Some on the Garmin website, some thru this website (use the seach button) some on other Australian web sites (use Google)

regards Michael

thrasherdave
1st May 2008, 09:35 AM
Another thing (sorry) and this is almost certainly the wrong thread, but I thought I would try the Training Centre thingo that came on the CD.
Every time I try it, it tells me to connect the GPS. But it is connected, and mapsource can see it, and I can transfer stuff up and down between the GPS and the PC. So why can't Training Centre see it?

DaveO

thrasherdave
1st May 2008, 10:07 AM
Thanks again, Michael, but although I do know what POIs are, I made the assumption from the instructions Nicko sent me on the CD (quoted verbatim above) that there were some POIs and a "POI loader" on the CD.

Clearly, the instructions need a bit of sub-editing and matched to the contents of the CD he is sending out.

Cheers,
DaveO

Michael
1st May 2008, 10:26 AM
Another thing (sorry) and this is almost certainly the wrong thread, but I thought I would try the Training Centre thingo that came on the CD.
Every time I try it, it tells me to connect the GPS. But it is connected, and mapsource can see it, and I can transfer stuff up and down between the GPS and the PC. So why can't Training Centre see it?
Never used Training Centre so I cannot help you there.
Training Centre is a free (older) Garmin product that includes a basic copy of Mapsource.
It is included as a (slightly sneaky) way of providing Mapsource to those without it, otherwise you have to buy it.

I noticed in another thread that you have just got a GPS60CSx (I have a 60Cx) it is probable that the newer x models are not recognised by Training Centre. You should have got a Trip & WayPoint (which includes Mapsource) CD with your GPS.

So if you had previously loaded Mapsource from that CD all you really needed to do was install Shonkymaps, Contours 121 and T4A. & saved yourself a bit of hassle.

Not meaning to offend, but this has been covered in earlier posts in this thread, so it is worth spending time researching thru the forums, as the answers are often somewhere.

regards Michael

thrasherdave
1st May 2008, 11:07 AM
Thanks for your time, Michael, I do appreciate it as I expect you have better things to do.
I would say in my defence however that I did search extensively but unsuccessfully, and read through hundreds of posts, none of which were helpful or even relevant to the problem I was trying to solve, so I just thought I'd ask. I had no idea it was an older product. It was on the CD Nicko only just sent me so I tried to run it (I'm referring to the program "Training Center.exe", not the setup file which creates Mapsource and the basemap). It probably doesn't matter whether it runs or not.
I expect for those people who have been forum members for a long time and know most of the ins and outs, it is a real pain to hear the same questions asked over and over again, perhaps because the poster couldn't find an FAQ.

I joined the forum to gain knowledge, and after a while be able to contribute to others from my experience, but perhaps I should just lurk in the hope that someone else asks the questions I would want to ask.

DaveO (not offended, just a bit down)

Nicko
1st May 2008, 11:21 AM
Training centre was supplied for those without a legit copy of Mapsource. In your case you do have a legit copy of Mapsource supplied with your GPS. I will re-write the Read Me file to say why you should or shouldn't download the programs based on what GPS you have or what Software you al\ready have.

In the case of Training Centre, well I have no answer as to why it is not working but I do suggest you just use Mapsource as a means to communicate with your GPS.

Michael
1st May 2008, 11:38 AM
Good on you Dave
Please keep on asking when you are stuck. It
can become a bit of a blur reading hundreds of posts.
I know I am getting very frustrated trying to find out where to buy a reasonably priced transducer or depth sounder to send data to my 60Cx. (see http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4729)

More importantly, now that you have loaded Shonky, have you taken the GPS out on a drive/walk/bikeride etc to test it out?
Has it helped/suit your needs?

regards Michael

thrasherdave
5th May 2008, 03:47 PM
More importantly, now that you have loaded Shonky, have you taken the GPS out on a drive/walk/bikeride etc to test it out?
Has it helped/suit your needs?

regards Michael

I've taken Shonky out for a drive around and it's pretty good. It repeats some basic errors near here, but that's the incorrect GA data. It's not as good (in this area) as DAST on my old Magellan, but it's better than CNausV6 that I've seen on another GPSr. That said, of course, if I wanted to navigate in Sydney (I try not to) then CN would be necessary.

The bottom line is that it's made my 60CSX much more usable at negligible cost.

And a distinct improvement on my first GPSr from 9 years ago, a Lowrance GlobalNav 212, a non-mapping device. I would manually create a track in OziExplorer, download it to the Lowrance, and then navigate by following as close as I could to the displayed dotted line, which was all that was displayed on the screen. I went all around the central deserts and Lake Eyre like that.

DaveO

Curado
15th August 2008, 09:56 AM
Hi guys.
I finally got my GPS.

Now the problem I have is I had Mapsource on my computer and I un-installed it to put the the Trip & Waypoint Manager that came with my GPS on my computer.

I install it and when I go to run it, it comes up with a error that says There is a problem with the Mapsource installation please re-install Mapsource and start again.

I re-install and keep getting the same error.

Any help please!