PDA

View Full Version : Powering two devices from the Ciggy Lighter

davea1963
29th August 2005, 04:17 PM
Hi y'all,

I need to power my iPAQ and my GPS 10 BT receiver from the cigarette lighter but only have one (like most of us!)

Is there any way (other than using one of those poxy double-adapters)?

I seem to remember a post (or posts) somewhere about wiring them in permanently but can't find it now...

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks,

timsam
29th August 2005, 05:55 PM
Hi

For low power devices one of those poxy double adaptors do make for an easy solution.
Other solutions are to wire in additional ciggy lighter plugs. Our local Discount Auto parts has one with 4 female sockets in a mounting box. About $20 from memory. Simply run the red wire to the positive terminal of your battery, (with a fuse near the battery terminal) and the black to the negative terminal. The mounting box has a slide which can be screwed to a suitable spot in the cab of your vehicle. This method is handy as you can run thicker gauge wire than the current ciggy lighter has.
Or you could wire the GPS directly to the battery in the same way, but this would prevent its easy removal unless you include a plug for seperating.... and then its like the poxy double adaptors, but with more work required to set up. :)

Jon
29th August 2005, 07:20 PM
Yep, you can do that. Or as it's said wire directly onto the battery. What I did was run a cable from the battery to a Fused Distribution box, then ran the cables to the GPS/ PDA mounts.

Regards

Jon

davea1963
29th August 2005, 09:02 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice.

I might be a bit confused here, but don't I need the adapters to provide current at the correct voltage and amperage?

I think I'll probably end up getting the additional plugs installed professionally by a local mob who will also install a hidden mount for my Ram-mount.

Given that work is spending $60,000 on a new 4x4 for me, they might not appreciate me boring holes in the dash! :)

It'll be interesting to see how much this mob charges to make the modifications.

Take care,

strider01
30th August 2005, 04:07 PM
Davea1963,

Yor are right in saying you need the right voltage and current but the double adaptor plug will do that too. Within reason.

My reason for saying this is if you have something that draws a fair bit of current and then you plug in something else, then you stand the chance of overloading the lighter circuit in the car and either blowing the fuse or making one or both devices prone to brownouts which is not good for the operation of the devices involved.

A properly wired auxillary socket will ensure a clean supply to the device plugged into it, and in the case of something like a fridge, possibly the only way to go as the current draw could provide way too much for a standard lighter socket anyway.

But if you are using light duty things (GPS, etc) then you would likely get away with the double adaptor by itself.

harveym
30th August 2005, 04:32 PM
I simply use a triple adapter (Narva part number 81048BL) plugged into the second ciggy lighter socket in our Prado to power the GPs and HP laptop. I got an auto electtician to make that socket live all the time - it's still on when the ignition is turned off. Works like a charm.

davea1963
30th August 2005, 09:43 PM
Hi y'all,

Boy! Thanks for all the great responses.

I contacted one of the better auto electricians up here who do a lot of the more sophisticated installations of satphones, mobiles, etc. and was pleasantly surprised at their very reasonable costing for install an additional three outlets and a "No Holes" bracket to hold my Ram mount - about $210.00.

Given that this is a work vehicle, I'll probably go ahead and get them to do it all for me (seeing as I won't be paying for it :p ). Apparently each outlet will have it's own dedicated circuit with fuse protection, so it sounds like they know what they're doing :)

It also sounds like there are a number of good DIY options as well, so I might keep those in mind.

Thanks once again for all the advice guys!

timsam
31st August 2005, 12:14 PM
Dave
I might be a bit confused here, but don't I need the adapters to provide current at the correct voltage and amperage?

There are adaptors that do do that for a certain item, eg a portable device that runs say 6 volts. If the item need this it would still need one if it was pluged into the existing ciggy lighter socket. If you already have the car adaptor this is done for you, if not I would get one.