PDA

View Full Version : Mag.600 loading discover aus

michaeld
2nd September 2005, 12:40 PM
Getting my Mag. 600 next week and wondering if there any changes in the way loading regions from the old discover Aus on to a 256mb sd card compared to my old gold meridian which was easy. has any one done it yet

fethers
2nd September 2005, 01:26 PM
I'm keen to hear how to do it Michael.

I just got a 600 and bought Discover Aus ver 1 on eBay. Tried to upload a region but it won't recognise the USB connection, it keeps looking for a serial connection.

So at the moment, I'm not sure if I need to purchase a newer version of Discover Aus.

junek
2nd September 2005, 06:02 PM
i cant tell from experiens with disco, but with my explorist 500 (and all explorists) you have to run everything through the MAGELLAN CONVERSIAN MANAGER.
so i think that you would make a map ( by making a square around the area u want) then save it to your hard drive, then use the conversion manager to convert it to a file the 600 can understand and then upload it.
i could be way off track, but this is how i understand it.
jamie

The Explorer
2nd September 2005, 06:55 PM
Junek is correct - create and cut region and save to hard drive. Though you dont actually "convert" the map file using conversion manager as it is just a file manager (in this case). If you have already loaded the software on CD that comes with GPS, conversion is done within DiscoverAus (Meridian maps are in a different format to eXplorist maps hence the requirement to install supplied software) - just copy the file to the detailed maps directory on internal memory (if enough space) or SD card using the "conversion manager" (just a file manager in this case) or cut and paste using noraml windows procedures.
Cheers
Greg

fethers
2nd September 2005, 10:24 PM
I did get it to work this arvo. My region map saved as a *.img file which the eXplorist didn't recognise but after running it though the converter it came out as a *.imi file which loaded and works fine.

One lesson learned today though is that I was unaware of the "region" bit. I was under the false impression that I could load all of Australia as a single detailed map onto the SD card. So when I travel interstate, I will need to change which detailed map I'm using.

I'd love to be told that I have that bit wrong....

The Explorer
3rd September 2005, 09:21 AM
Well I didnt realise that you can convert img to mgi by using conversion manager. For some reason my maps are created as mgi within DAST ..anyway... Unfortunately you can not created one big map of Australia to negate the need to change as you move from area to area (well actually you can but it would make unit run slow I suspect). You can alter the limit on region sizes by modifying mapsend.ini file

DEVICE_DEFAULTS]
Com_Port=5
Baud_rate=4800
Memory_Size=8000
Conv_Maximum_Number_of_Regions=9
Conv_Memory_Size=64000
Write_Export_Log=0
Write_GPS_Log=0

in this example I have changed Conv_Memory_Size= from standard 16000 (or thereabouts) to 64000...so now I can make maps up to 64mb in size..but I normally restrict them to around 20mb. It is possible to get all of WA as two files..so Im happy. Theoretically you could change this to 300000 and make a region covering all of Australia...but as mentioned I think it would make unit have spasms..but never tried.
Cheers
Greg

arthurking83
3rd September 2005, 10:56 AM
Hi,
I just recieved my copy of DAST TOPO for my Meridian (I wrote a small review somewhere?? General GPS??)
The img files they(Magellan) created, are generally 50+Mb for the bigger states!
The QLD file is 117Mb :eek:
The VIC image (which I use) is 67Mb, and does make the Meridian run slower :(
Just some info for 'ya.

cheers.

michaeld
3rd September 2005, 11:03 AM
Art. is that the CD or the SD card with dast topo

The Explorer
3rd September 2005, 12:03 PM
It would have to be the SD card...there is no CD at this stage of the game.
Huge files!!..still trying to justify the purchase of DAST Topo myself since use OziExplorer on Ipaq with topo's as required.
Cheers
Greg

arthurking83
3rd September 2005, 06:56 PM
I would reckon that if you're using topos on Ozi then the DAST topo would be 'superfluous' (??)
I'm not too sure about topos on Ozi (as I have run with Ozi on a laptop), but
one thing I couldn't work out with ozi was to create an easy database of POI's. Searchable like in the DAST topo map, where you can search for POI's (??), then navigate towards it, or just view it!!
I realise you could create or download a set of waypoints, but to list things like toilets, restaurants, emergency services, churches, all roads, etc, etc....
This database is immense!!
as an example...
layer8 in the VIC image contains the rivers and creeks info. There are 1283286 points required to create the shp file!
There are 293368 points that make up the streets info, 161951 points for tracks info, 106861 points for roads, and 21863 points for major highways/freeways. That would be an impossible task to achieve in Ozi!
I've just I extracted some of these huge image files from DAST topo (into the shp and dbf files) to view the whole map in a GIS viewing program. ( I had trouble extracting 3 of 7 img files)
The 67Mb VIC img file extracted to 524Mb!
The 72Mb NSW img file extracted into only 406Mb of shp and dbf files(??)
I then tried to load it into a magellan map 'making' program that had a lot of problems viewing the shp files! They were just too large!
At one point the Windows page file was running at 1.6Gb and RAM used was at 992Mb :eek:
When I first built my 'puter I installed 1Gb of ram to 'be sure' ! :confused:
I found that I could view the shp files much easier with fGIS and the detail is very good.
The only thing I can't figure out is how to overlay the vector data over a raster image (in fGIS), just to "see" what's what and where.

cheers.

michaeld
5th September 2005, 03:07 PM
with my new 600 das and oziexplorer don't find any ports how do I connect

arthurking83
5th September 2005, 04:58 PM
I suppose someone that actually has an explorist, and connected successfully will correct me if I'm wrong.
I think that the explorist(windows usb manager really) creates a virtual serial port higher up in the com port range(??) Something like com port 4 or more(??)

If it allows you to set baud rates, you'll be in business :D

I have read where people are having trouble connecting with an explorist to certain programs that cant recognise virtual com ports :confused:
EDITED!! I was wrong :o about some info and found this link for confused explorist owners...
Explorist battery, and OziExplorer connectivity (http://www.gpsinformation.net/waas/Mag3-D/eXplorist.html)

good luck!