PDA

View Full Version : What do you do?

Craigus
16th June 2005, 07:17 AM
Just thought we'd get a spam thread going and see what you all do for a living?

Craigus
16th June 2005, 07:18 AM
I'm a computer tech for a small PC repairs shop in the Blue Mountains.

Gypsy
16th June 2005, 07:45 AM
Full time Mum! :D

But in my working life I'm a dispensary tech. (Pharmacy).

Shady
16th June 2005, 08:59 AM
I work in a Health Food Shop, vitamins and stuff and NO I'm not healthy.

miller
16th June 2005, 10:21 AM
plus I like to fix all sorts of stuff for family and friends and Im a qualified builder/carpenter

Berg
16th June 2005, 07:41 PM
I am the quality manager at an adhesive factory

malla
16th June 2005, 08:14 PM
l am a plumber with a sad sense of humour just look at avatar but l would like to say top site as l am dirtrider it will be very handy

john m
18th June 2005, 09:30 AM
I am a Cabinetmaker/shopfitter

Shady
18th June 2005, 10:50 AM
Gday buddy,
You finally found us. How you going?

I am a Cabinetmaker/shopfitter

Do you do cashies?

john m
18th June 2005, 12:53 PM
I found this the day Craig posted at DBW
but i was selling the GPS and didn,t want to get to attached to it
but now after having it on E-bay and it not selling i am disappointed
a bit but now.I am going keep it and map a heap of tracks and start to
really learn how to use the ****** thing to it full useablr capabilities.

Just came on to have another look before i try and do my Valve adjustments
on the Kato

See how i go i suppose

Going to Sugee tomorrow

Cheers

John M

Shady
18th June 2005, 01:48 PM
.I am going keep it and map a heap of tracks......
Going to Sugee tomorrow

Cheers

John M
Are you going to map out the track tomorrow mate?

Ian Lee
18th June 2005, 03:12 PM
Hi I work fulltime as a petrol station manager for Woolworths work 2 part time jobs one as a Technician (cash registers etc) and as a Fire Prevention Officer with the CFS and suddenly went senile and am in the process of building a new house :confused:

john m
18th June 2005, 07:28 PM
Are you going to map out the track tomorrow mate?

Naaa don,t have enough time to get mount back on bike

And need to learn a few basics before i do any thing

awill4x4
18th June 2005, 08:14 PM
I'm a Boilermaker/Welder by trade in the motorsport industry spe******ing in Tig welding on Chrome/Moly, Stainless Steel, Aluminium and Titanium
Regards Andrew.

shaney
18th June 2005, 10:00 PM
Bus driver for the city of Kingston. Love to get out in the 4wd

rc211e
19th June 2005, 03:22 PM
I manage a company that sells OnLine Learning tools but I like to spend my weekends in the bush

Codenix
22nd June 2005, 03:56 PM
I'm an IT solutions consultant with Canon.

yogie
26th June 2005, 11:51 AM
Hi guys

I'm a Youth worker/ ex welder

And I've got a cd of maps around aus, The CFA use it on their GPS but how the hell do I down load them... :eek: :eek: :eek:

strider01
28th June 2005, 07:33 PM
I am an Electrician but work for a local Council on the Central Coast of NSW as a Technical Officer. Basically this involves gathering data from many different sources and producing reports for engineers who can't think for themselves and need me to do it!! I also help maintain our Telemetry system and am basically our sections inhouse computer support - instead of using Council's own IT Section.

Just recently, I have been put in charge of administration of our workshop. This keeps me busy enough for the week!!

harveym
29th June 2005, 12:54 PM
I'm a marine microbiologist who works in the Southern Ocean on the little critters that sustain the rest of the marine food web and produce about half of the oxygen you will inhale in your next breath.

energizer61
29th June 2005, 01:19 PM
I'm an Electrician by trade, working as an electrical inspector, inspecting Electrical Contractors work, conducting fire & shock investigations & basically solving problems after everyone else has said "I dunno" ;)

p-jay
30th June 2005, 04:20 PM
i work in ballast control (rig stability) on an oil rig currently working in egypt offshore alexandria , commuting from adelaide

one_iota
30th June 2005, 06:00 PM
I am an Architect by trade, a Design Manager with a construction company for a quid, a Land Rover restorer's assistant on the weekends for fun, a lover of driving bush trails in my Discovery in my spare time, and a frustrated cartographer.

rangie5litre
30th June 2005, 07:38 PM
I'm a Customer service Manager for a joinery suppliers' company in Western Sydney. Ex truck driver! Office bound at work and hate it! :mad: and drive an old heavy thirsty V8 Range Rover..........helps me forget about work! :rolleyes:

Cheers Scott :D

strider01
1st July 2005, 05:17 PM
currently working in egypt offshore alexandria , commuting from adelaide

:eek:

And I thought commuting from Sydney to Gosford (Central Coast) used to be bad!! :D

time
1st July 2005, 06:33 PM
Ex Canberra Public Servant.

Spent years bludging off the public purse, this has enabled me to retire early and get out and enjoy the bush!!

Seriously, 30 odd years of public accounting can turn a man to drink, luckily I already knew how!! :D

bayvu
2nd July 2005, 08:31 AM
Psychiatric Nurse in a public hospital. Never a dull moment :eek: .

Dave

bgreeni
2nd July 2005, 05:33 PM
I am a Railway track Engineer, working for TrackForce (Part of London Underground that was sold of) I am currently project managing a number of upgrades on the District Line. Ended up here after 25 years with Queensland Rail, and a while with RIC/RAC in Sydney. Can't wait to get back to Oz and into the bush, but meanwhile spend Weekends exploring the UK.

paulxr650
7th July 2005, 01:19 AM
I drive a bus at the moment i am a ex Diesal mechanic so i rather break them now adays not fix them

Berniebgf
11th July 2005, 07:34 PM
I'm a "Solution spe******t" for an IBM business partner.

Basically I assist the Sales reps with Server/storage/software solutions.

Chears

Bernie.
XR600 1998. (upgrading to Husaberg FE550)
Landcruiser 80series 1996.

Chris
11th July 2005, 08:07 PM
I'm a software developer spe******ing in warehousing and logistics.

Thats by week, but come the weekend I love to get out in the bush in my 4wd and go exploring :)

11CAB
12th July 2005, 05:07 PM
I'm a Mechanic at a small VW/Audi Workshop, love Offroading in VW's for fun. I've got a 4inch lifted Kombi and am building a Meyers Manx beach buggy.

RUSCHIE
17th July 2005, 08:32 AM
I,m a boat builder . I assemble large luxury craft & no I don,t have a boat.

Andy-W
25th July 2005, 08:56 AM
I work for the Water corporation , Best job I've every had , everyday is a different one , that's the best part about it :)

CrazyNuts
25th July 2005, 09:33 AM
I'm a tier 2 Desktop Support Technician for a large University here in WA.

I work to live and not live to work :)

swaddo
26th July 2005, 02:55 PM
I am a computer engineer, currently stuck working on security software. Really enjoy embedded stuff but unfortunately jobs are thin on the ground there :(

On the weekend I like to get out in the fourby and either take the kids out to play in the bush or locate some nice secluded spot and go fly fishing.

Cheers
Blake

peterdeg
27th July 2005, 02:59 PM
What is it about the GPS owners being in the IT Industry ??

Personally, I'm responsible for internal IT security in Australia and New Zealand
in a largish company that sells machines to business internationally.

swaddo
27th July 2005, 08:00 PM
What can i say ... we like gadgets :D

Ralf the RR
27th July 2005, 08:29 PM
I work for a company that flies fast aircraft, with 2 engines and 2 tails.
They make holes in the ground when required.

peterdeg
27th July 2005, 09:28 PM
I work for a company that flies fast aircraft, with 2 engines and 2 tails.
They make holes in the ground when required.
You one of the bastards being overly noisy around my house at the moment?

sjcampbel
28th July 2005, 08:37 AM
IT Project Manager at the Universty of New England in Armidale. Helps pay for my toys - cameras and 4wds.

Cheers

Ralf the RR
28th July 2005, 06:39 PM
You one of the bastards being overly noisy around my house at the moment?

Wasn't me :D

Might have been someone I work with though :rolleyes:

hiline
28th July 2005, 10:50 PM
external render and traditional solid plasterer

i restore old buildings back to original condition :D :D

love 4wd weekends and fresh water fishing (trout)

cheers hiline

ravenit
4th August 2005, 12:45 PM
control room operator for a cement company + security. Like homer Simpson just without the melt down problem

spectre
4th August 2005, 02:59 PM
'eh, why not :)

I work as a Research Scientist for a small Biotech company. Currently we are situated at the John Curtin School of Medical Research at the ANU in Canberra...

bhoulaha
5th August 2005, 07:06 AM
Computer consultant (independant) spe******ing in large scale business system implementations.

:p

bhoulaha
5th August 2005, 07:12 AM
Just re-read this thread - there are lot of propellor heads amonst this crowd.

Not sure whether its the toy bit or the out and out cleverness of the technology. I work with hi-tech stuff all the time and I am still amazed that the GPS thing works.

michaeld
5th August 2005, 07:30 AM
Fire fighter (squirt water on hot stuff)
hobbies
family 3 boys
DSMRA and DBW with a yamaha WR 450
Suzuki 4WD club with a ZOOK GV lifted

old_man_silvia
5th August 2005, 06:30 PM
International Finance consultant. Bushwalking is my pashion while in good 'ol Oz.

clewer
6th August 2005, 06:36 AM
Puppet Builder - Yeah! I make puppets - a lot having electronics and chips etc. Main passion though is getting lost in the bush - hiking etc

Gregn
8th August 2005, 05:15 PM
I'm a Project Manager who gets to see far too much qantas club lounge and nowhere near enough Nissan Patrol in it's natural habitat.

hdj80r
9th August 2005, 10:12 AM
I am an engineer, and design and write software for embedded systems.

In my spare time I enjoy going bush in my Landcruiser, and camping.

David

TuffRR
9th August 2005, 03:41 PM
Insolvency accountant.

Its about as exciting as it sounds. :rolleyes:

Ozzie
9th August 2005, 11:25 PM
I am a Chef by trade but have had my Lawn Mowing business for the past 20 years,

Ozzie

rusty
13th August 2005, 02:13 PM
Administration Clerk in a transport company - stuck in an office during the week so I look foward to 4wdriving whenever I can on weekends
What a great spread of members this site has, we come from all walks of life

daviddth
13th August 2005, 07:28 PM
Electrician by trade, but not touched the tools (Except for wiring my shed) for about 15 years lol. Now, well I'm Homer Simpson, but at a coal fired power station :)

Dave

Nicko
14th August 2005, 07:49 PM
I run the online business OctaPC in Perth, WA, plus distribution of GPS products, accessories, software and datacards under the name of GPS Technologies. I frequent many GPS Forums of my dealers to assist in answering some questions in the belief that I might know what I am talking about! Originally I studied electronics in the UK, joined the RAAF as a RadTech (Aircraft Electronics) for 6 years, spent 3 years at the Australian Stockman's Hall of Fame in Longreach, Queensland, as the Technical Officer. Spent a year as a projectionist with Omni Theatre in Perth playing with the spe******t 3D 72mm projector that showed the OmniMax films on a dome ceiling. Spent time with Sokkia ( Survey Equipment manufacturers), GME Electrophone for a year to finally develop my online business in 2003. Distribution started August 2004. I have also worked as a tech in a PC shop, cleaner, paper round delivery boy, 2000 Australian Census delivery boy, rep for a Motorola dealer, painter, petrol station pump attendant and cashier, Retail shop shelf filler and some artistic talent that I haven't got time for at the moment.... but may do just before I die from a stress related heart attack :eek:

smee_e_e
16th August 2005, 12:22 AM
I'm an electronics Technician, do everything from component level repair to setting up and maintaining communications equipment, both voice and data.

Ozipilot
26th August 2005, 08:50 AM
I cart sick people around in those vehicles with flashing lights .

Ozipilot

cmg
26th August 2005, 10:57 AM
I sit at my desk and fix electronics (data telemetry gear) at a component level, and NO!!! Im not looking at your VCR/DVD/mobile phone/TV, they're rooted and cheap enough for you to buy a new one.

michaeld
26th August 2005, 11:32 AM
I create car parks as a firefighter

Jon
29th August 2005, 07:31 PM
I work for the Government, I'm here to help you.

Nah., Just a Logistics Expert. What's that you ask, well a X is a unknown or a has been, and a Spurt's a Drip under pressure. :rolleyes:

alpha993
29th August 2005, 08:33 PM
I cart sick people around in those vehicles with flashing lights .

Ozipilot

hi ozipilot - by land, sea or air?

wombatwal
31st August 2005, 04:06 PM
I am a Registered Nurse working in a hospital ambulance.

jumankum
1st September 2005, 09:44 PM
I have an Electrical Business on the Gold Coast
Small business only 1 staff and me

SenutyEnool
13th September 2005, 12:33 PM
G'day folks,

I'm ex 20year ARA and currently working as a Public Serpe..... erm... Servant for the Defence Force as Finance MisManager :eek:

Also a closet gadget nerd, hence why I'm here to learn how to use my GPS to its fullest.

Cheers

CrazyNuts
13th September 2005, 11:42 PM
I forgot to mention earlier on that me and my girlfriend have a side business going (link in signature)

Luna Bliss Luxurious Natural Soaps. We have quite a few dedicated customers from ones who suffer from Psorisis to ones who have extreemely sensetive skin to the others who just want to pamper themselves :)

Please feel free to visit our website, give us a call or drop us an email if you any queries.

Regards

Kris & Serina

fethers
14th September 2005, 12:12 AM
I'm a shift supervisor for a mob who make zinc.

bcasot
14th September 2005, 11:37 AM
Hi, I work full time on my bluetooth gps, creating maps (for that big trip one day) and being a dad. Work part time (50 hrs week) driving to peoples houses, giving advice on their finances.

Love trail bike riding.

festy
14th September 2005, 12:10 PM
50 hrs/week is part time?

fethers
14th September 2005, 01:23 PM

I'm a full time shift worker and 42hrs is more than enough.

bcasot
14th September 2005, 05:35 PM
Hook Line and sinker,

Seems like I spend more tome playing with the GPS than work. :rolleyes:

IanR
15th September 2005, 10:07 AM
I work as consultant/facilitator in the area of continuous improvement - cure for insomnia really BUT pays for the 'toys' and trips to the bush.

wombatwal
16th September 2005, 06:26 AM
Fethers wrote
"I'm a shift supervisor for a mob who make zinc."

I thought zinc was a natural element not man made. :) :)

arthurking83
16th September 2005, 09:41 PM

LOL!

They still have to make the "Zinc".
Remember it's mined in the form of an ore, sphalerite, smithsonite or zincite :D

But you are correct that Zinc is the natural element, just hard to find like that ;)

fethers
16th September 2005, 10:17 PM
Fethers wrote
"I'm a shift supervisor for a mob who make zinc."

Yeah right'o.
Maybe I should have wrote that I work for a mob who just tidy it up a bit so that a one tonne block is 99.95% zinc when we sell it. ;)

arthurking83
16th September 2005, 10:33 PM
See! You should have been more specific! And said something like.....

"I work for a mineral extracting company that spe******es in the purifiction of zinc ore into a concentrated elemental form" :D :D

That ought to do it! ;)

Cuzzo
20th September 2005, 12:16 PM
I work for the Dept of Agriculture in the entomology branch

Avs
20th September 2005, 04:07 PM
I'm a gingerbeer (structural engineer).

franzer
2nd October 2005, 05:20 PM
I run my own business, computer repairs, networking, sales. its good to work for myself.

princess66
5th October 2005, 05:27 PM
I'm a Plant Operator doing shiftwork trying to help deplete the ozone layer..... ;)

pt539
6th October 2005, 06:42 AM
I am a plant supervisor in a rubber company. Great smelling job :cool:

Extreme RAVer
19th October 2005, 09:36 PM
I am a public servant dealing with policy and client relationship management with a focus on ensuring clients comply with their legislative requirements.

fieldmouse
20th October 2005, 09:20 AM
Intelligence training officer for Federal Police

sid
20th October 2005, 01:47 PM
I'm a retired Senior Pipeline Inspector. Worked in seventeen different countries in the oil and gas industry. :)

slammer
2nd November 2005, 10:54 AM
Joined last week and just found this thread. At least I am not an IT nut (but my daughter is one with Big Blue).

As for me, I trained as a high school maths, science teacher and was conscripted into the Army. I could not find the way out and spent 21 years as an Army Officer, then a stint in the Federal Public Service. Now pretty well retired (some occasional consulting). Rebuilding motor home for the "Big Lap" next year.

Always been a map nut (boy scout, rally driver, Army Transport, 'explorer') and have embraced the GPS as a tool to aid navigation.

Currently linking Magellan MAP 330, IBM laptop to 7" LCD monitor in the motor home. Pictures and details when finished.

My handle of "Slammer" is my golfing nickname.

Nemesis
23rd November 2005, 09:29 PM
I dispose of unwanted nuisances from long range............

Nah that's a hobby....... ;)

I weigh trucks. And surf the net, and talk to Craigus on msn, trying to convince him to come real 4WDing...... :D

brisey
24th November 2005, 11:39 AM
I'm an electritian working for the Sunday Times newspaper in WA. Apart from being a general dogsbody I repair, maintain, restore, modify & nurse our printing machines & inserting equipment. I also do reserch & developement to modify machinery utilising PLC's and/or electronics. We program our own PLC's & make & repair our own printed circuit boards.

Cheers

bri :)

Viper
24th November 2005, 09:31 PM
I am a Supervisor for a mining company running the rail and road contractors as well as our own staff, lots of fun and the best thing is im out and about for most of the day and only stuck in my office for a couple of hours a day..
Get to do plenty of 4wd.. :) :D

I know it sad but someone's got to do it

precious
25th November 2005, 08:07 AM
i am a uni student about 2 finsih 2nd year, last exam for this yr this arvo,

studying bachelor of business property economics, which is basically development, valuation, trusts etc and NOT realestate

cheers chris

UncySpam
26th November 2005, 06:27 PM
I'm a Solutions Architech in Storage Products for EDS... outsourced to ATO, Child Support Agency and Australian Customs Service...

never a dull moment :D

I use the GPS for navigating around the bush in my Pathy (soon to be a restored and moster-overhauled Zook I hope... if I get the time!) and for getting to and from customer sites and various data centres... nothing beats sat-nav!

buster
30th November 2005, 09:46 AM
Oh Bugga...I aint nuthin like you lot....all I do is live off my small super pension and hunt pigs with my dogs, shoot the ones the dogs cannot catch, go fishing up the creeks between townsville and the cape, catch fish on the great barrier reef when the weather is kind, catch grunter over @ Karumba @ least 3 times a year and also the odd herd of pigs, travel in my purpose built (i built it) 4 x 4 all over Cape York, catch barramundi up @ pomporaw for 2 weeks every year, as well as sit @ this puta whenever i can and have a lotta fun with my 3 lowrance GPS's getting in and out of places and trouble.
I also drink my fair share of rum. :eek:
Boy I WISH I had lives like you blokes and sheilas :mad: .....cheers buster.

Mungo
5th January 2006, 10:53 AM
I'm a power station operator (12 hour shifts), but I'm no longer "excited" by it.

corza
5th January 2006, 02:26 PM
A freight & logistic transfer operator, or better knomn as an Interstate Truck Driver...

saab463
5th January 2006, 03:36 PM
Oh Bugga...I aint nuthin like you lot....all I do is live off my small super pension and hunt pigs with my dogs, shoot the ones the dogs cannot catch, go fishing up the creeks between townsville and the cape, catch fish on the great barrier reef when the weather is kind, catch grunter over @ Karumba @ least 3 times a year and also the odd herd of pigs, travel in my purpose built (i built it) 4 x 4 all over Cape York, catch barramundi up @ pomporaw for 2 weeks every year, as well as sit @ this puta whenever i can and have a lotta fun with my 3 lowrance GPS's getting in and out of places and trouble.
I also drink my fair share of rum. :eek:
Boy I WISH I had lives like you blokes and sheilas :mad: .....cheers buster.

Hey Buster do you need an apprentice?? :D
I have a boring job in sales looking for a change and yours sounds right up my alley. ;)

breakit
20th January 2006, 06:27 PM
I am a Geologist.

I am lucky in that I get to go out west a lot on work time but I also have to work in the +40 degree heat under the blazing sun. Winter is pretty nice though!

Slacker
20th February 2006, 11:23 PM
Currently tech support for a large UK broadband ISP, but after over four years of frustration I'm about to take it all out with 44 tonnes of momentum by retraining to be a lorry driver (HGV).

And I'm from a small island in the northern hemisphere, you may have heard of it.

vernem
5th March 2006, 03:13 PM
Another IT guy...
I'm the IT Supervisor for the QLD arm of Versacold Logistics. It's a Cold Storage Warehousing and Transport co. We store all the cold things you buy at the supermarkets.
I started as a caual 10 years ago while studying for my BSc, got the degree but haven't used it yet.

Beast Of Bodmin
5th March 2006, 06:13 PM
I crash cars! (on weekdays)

Actually l'm an engineer involved in the vehicle safety industry. We develop restraint systems for prototype vehicles for loads of manufacturers.
Originally from the UK, l worked in truck transmission and axle development, culminating as a field service engineer on special vehicles eg 10X 8 truck with triple steer and hydraulic suspension used for offroad/onroad use in Holland. Moved onto engine development and about 8yrs ago to vehicle safety. Work has taken me to a lot of places and have now ended up here.
Now trying to make sure to stay. The High Country is too hard to leave!

and on weekends, tour the bush in a 80 series (slightly modified) with the Cross Country Jeep Club.

BoB

Slacker
6th March 2006, 03:48 AM
Quick update on my job status, passed my HGV class2 test on Friday, which means I have one more to go before I turn my back on IT and become a long distance serial killer.......erm, I mean, lorry driver.

Michael
11th March 2006, 08:12 PM
Teacher at a private school.
I go on a fair few school camps.
Last week a 5 day bush walk on part of the Great Ocean Walk near Cape Otway.
Use the GPS60 for fun to see exactly where we are.
"A leader is never lost, only exploring!"

crackajack
11th March 2006, 09:51 PM
I'm a groundsman (golf club).It will never make me rich but I love the job. :)

camv
13th March 2006, 01:24 PM
Open cut mine surveyor

Les Addison
19th March 2006, 02:05 PM
Last 10 years specialized in fitting & building V8 6.2 & 6.5 Chevrolet diesels in 4wds . Have lots of accumulated info, free for any one using these fine engines . I drive an Hj 75 troupie fitted with a NA 6.5 coupled up to a Turbo 700 R4 ,automatic which we use to tow an off road Coromal Pop top .Do lots of camping fossicking & fishing .. Love my Mericolour , only use it as a navigational tool, creating routes only on the screen ,as yet..
Feel free to email me, re V8s Les

macandrita
1st April 2006, 01:37 PM
Sugar Cane Farm manager for Multinational Sugar company.
Sound impressive??? Actually just a glorified worker who gets to make some decisions. :D Plenty of opportunities to use gps. Last year used 2cm accurate gps auto steer for planting operation. Straight, even rows. Boring! :D
Mac

Jasper
2nd April 2006, 08:12 PM
I'm a man *****. George st. sydney is my beat. I use gps/pda to keep track of customer 'hotspots' based on time and location. I calculate the best route to maximise nightly income.

arthurking83
2nd April 2006, 08:18 PM

Geez!

.....I thought I had the 'best job in the world' !

Ahh well!!!......second best.......now!

Wonk
3rd April 2006, 08:22 PM
Hi All

I own a small System Integration business, spe******ing in Home automation, lighting control, home theatres, distributed music through the home etc. Based south side of Brisvegas. There's enough work here to keep us very busy which is good. Who said that the housing market is slowing?

Weekends involve riding the bike (Husky 250) or taking the GU through the bush.

Darren
4th April 2006, 07:20 PM
Work in sheetmetal (second class sheety if there is such a thing :p , been working in the trade for 10 years but no formal qualifications.)

Hunterman
5th April 2006, 07:22 AM
I work in the finance area, so I can't tell you how all this stuff works, but I know how much it costs.

When not in the office I enjoy exploring the Victorian High Country and snaring a few trout

BunKaz
8th April 2006, 10:55 PM
I work for car audio and security outfit.Run 2 workshops.Top site.

jrs
9th April 2006, 06:56 PM
I get to design chips. Silcon ones.

Napalm
10th April 2006, 06:06 PM
Work in the office for a relocation company. Great site

rojerk
11th April 2006, 09:51 PM
I'm an engineer for a high performance vehicle manufacturer. Basically I turn a grands worth of tyre into smoke within a couple of minutes. Oh, and I get paid for this ;-)

arthurking83
11th April 2006, 09:55 PM
I'm an engineer for a high performance vehicle manufacturer. ....

Is that the one in Clayton.....or Campbellfield? :D

rojerk
11th April 2006, 10:21 PM
Um, the suburb starts with C...! Thats all I'll say ;-) Except having access to (close to) 300kW utes to tow my motorbike around with is pretty handy.

I'm not loyal to either though - I drive a little Subaru!

cruzzzinaround
16th April 2006, 01:10 PM
work for dept education a few hours a week as general assistant.........cleaner in supermarket every morning .......truck driver 2 days a week and whatever one has to do to earn a crust
wife is
cleaner .... orange ****** .... Domestic Engineer .....

hangover
28th April 2006, 11:39 AM
I work in freight forwarding currently studying to be a customs broker.

Pezzie
8th May 2006, 10:19 AM
Senior Dieback Interpreter, Conservation And Land Management (CALM) WA. We map forest disease, do inventories of timber, and make a lot of maps. We also help out at large wildfires. We collect our data using GPS hence my joining the group.

And yes, they pay me to go 4x4 driving, and hiking in the bush. :D Sounds fun, but after a few years the novelty does wear off. Especaally after your 500th tick bite.

Tank47
8th May 2006, 06:57 PM
I am a retired PMG worker, well the company I left was "Telstra" a long way from the original staying with a company for 40 years has its benefits. Spent 9 months :D :D last year doing the big lap around Oz, what a country we have. Grounded this year :( as the wife went back to her job as a teacher, not ready to retire she says. Hobbies are 4X4 driving, fishing, and Geocaching which led me to this site.

sweetpea
12th June 2006, 02:49 PM
I'm a consultant.

Basically, I have an opinion on anything anyone will pay me to.

:)

S.

the evil twin
12th June 2006, 07:02 PM
Luv your attitude swetpea.. :devil-smi

Me..I have a go at anything but keep coming back to electronic vocations, 21 years military then Courier work then Calibration Technician then Tourist Boat Skipper then Fire and Surveillance Technician then bought a Fruit Orchard then Satellite and Microwave Transmission then Telstra (I know ...I know ...but I didn't stay long :) )

rastus7
28th June 2006, 01:12 PM
After 17 years in PMG =>Telstra, the bean crunchers made me an offer to good to refuse, so I took the money and run.

Now I'm an Ambulance Paramedic who has too much time on his hands, and no interest in doing the list the handbrake has prepared, (but it keeps her occupied) so I spend a lot of time surfing the net, great site by the way.

Hobbies are 4x4, shooting, fishing, camping, playing games on the computer, and watching my kids x 3 play sport. Wife and kids are all blackbelts in Zen Do Kai karate, so I figure I'm safe, although it does get "hot" in the kitchen sometimes.

spd33y
28th June 2006, 09:35 PM
I work for an Air Conditioning company programming/supporting various types of building automation controls. Not so bad, been there 4 years now.

Yowie
28th June 2006, 10:54 PM

It is if you drive a bus. :aaa:

I drive coaches for living. I usually get my 50-55 hours done in 4 days.

Started driving buses in Melbourne and worked my way up to coaches, then tranfered to Nth Vic. Loving it. Just got myself an 80 series and a gps. Going out geocaching this weekend for the first time. I'd never move back to the city again. If I could just get the hours down a bit :action-sm

I better mention that I'm also a programmer. I do a bit of consulting work here and there (helps pay for my toys). I've thought about getting into it on a more full time basis, but then I'd probably have to move back to the city :action-sm

Drew_au
30th June 2006, 12:35 AM
Interesting thread for sure.

I'm a Technical Officer at the RAAF's Airlift Flight Simulation Facility. I get to fly (and fix) multi-million dollar full flight simulators. We have C130H and C130J Hercules and B707 simulators. It's interesting work, very accurate simulations that one hour in the box equals one hour of flight time in the pilot's log. Then there's the electronic warfare stuff and other cool bits and pieces.

Studying Electrical Engineering, nearly finished, only three modules to go. Took years to find my career, too long really, I'm in my 30's.

Too many hobbies: ******* Radio (currently licenced and active on HF), flying, RC models, photography, camping and 4WDing, astronomy, gardening, bushwalking, sleeping.

My wife has two Uni degrees, recenlty completing a Master's. She is a Teacher/Head Librarian in a large private school. Librarian sounds boring but it's actually very interesting work helping the next generation of smarts.

We have three Border Collie dogs and they are the best fun ever, used to do dog obedience training, so they are quite well behaved.

First baby on the way, due Father's Day! Can't wait!

Live in a small country village in the Blue Mountains, will always live out of suburbia, the big smoke is a nice place to visit occasionally.

GPS: Have been involved for years, bought a Magellan GPS315 the week they were launched in Australia. Remember the days of SA like it was yesterday. (Bet some of you don't know what SA even is nowdays!)

Currently run a GlobalSat BT-338 Bluetooth 20 channel receiver into a PDA or Tablet or Laptop. Run Ozi, GPSDash, DestinAtor, GPSU.

My one wish in life: To never have to sleep, it's such a waste of valuable time, I could work all day to earn money and read and experiment and fiddle all night! Keep dreamin'.

Cheers all,

Drew.

Phil mxer
24th August 2006, 09:11 PM
construction & maintenance worker ie.- jack of all trades, master of none! national parks & wildlife. But i do get to go 4wding, shooting ferals like deer, foxes and rabbits, bushwalking looking for things such as mallee fowl mounds using gps and quite a few other things from time to time which they pay me for !! :party-smi

Teabag
24th August 2006, 09:39 PM
Electronic Maintenance Manager in the Navy, maintaining Weapons Systems. Totally love my job, it doesn't get any better than this: Come Get Some.......
Below image is a 76mm OTO MELARA fitted to Australia's Guided Missile Frigates.

tim5565
27th August 2006, 01:56 PM
I am a self employed plumber with one liability working for me and wishing i could earn an income from one of my hobbies hmmm

Ralf the RR
27th August 2006, 04:19 PM
Interesting thread for sure.

I'm a Technical Officer at the RAAF's Airlift Flight Simulation Facility. I get to fly (and fix) multi-million dollar full flight simulators. We have C130H and C130J Hercules and B707 simulators. It's interesting work, very accurate simulations that one hour in the box equals one hour of flight time in the pilot's log.

Drew.

I used to work on the P3C Flight Sim as a Systech.
Best job I ever had in the RAAF.
Discharged at the beginning of the year.

Now I build trains for a living.

Jasper
28th August 2006, 06:44 PM
I fart into plastic bags and sell them on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/36-STINK-BOMBS-plus-3-FREE-FART-BOMB-BAGS-3-FREE-ITEMS_W0QQitemZ290015111012QQihZ019QQcategoryZ1467 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

hangover
28th August 2006, 09:19 PM
I am a Chef by trade but have had my Lawn Mowing business for the past 20 years,

Ozzie

Dont blame you at all, after 21 years as a chef i now work in the freight forwarding/ customs broker industry.

4wd26
29th August 2006, 12:27 PM
Iam a open cut mine surveyor.
Get to drive a 4x4 for a living and as soon as I leave the office its into 4wheel drive.

Get to play with GPS all day long, differential variety giving accuracies of 50mm, but with large price tags.

Location a small island within 30kms of a capital city in Australia.

Not a bad job or location.

http://publicgallery.stevenbowden.com/albums/minesite/abi.sized.jpg
Hard day at the office :food-smil

crankycruiser
31st August 2006, 04:15 PM
IM a sparky :Christz_p

AJPAT1
2nd September 2006, 08:26 PM
I'm a Saddler
leather & canvas work, I'll make just abuot anything
www.ajssaddlery.websyte.com.au
AJ

Detourism
7th September 2006, 04:17 PM
I'm in retail sales...telecommunications to be exact. You learn to deal with complaints quickly in this job

juscruzin
18th September 2006, 08:24 PM
Company rep for Mitsubishi Materials.
Spend my day extracting productivity gains for manufacturing engineers.

Not_lost_just_resting
9th October 2006, 09:02 AM
I work in IT&T

dublediff
28th October 2006, 11:29 AM
I'm a private enquiry agent...worked for gov't last 30 years now doing it for myself...(keep it clean boys..) :jumping-s

macka1
28th October 2006, 01:06 PM
Shift working Production Controller in Power Station with a love of 4x4's, motorbikes (road and trail) and bushwalking/exploring.
Need more income to keep up with all my interests/needs! :laughing-

spectre
29th October 2006, 06:24 AM
'eh, why not :)

I work as a Research Scientist for a small Biotech company. Currently we are situated at the John Curtin School of Medical Research at the ANU in Canberra...

Not any more......

Now a Patent Examiner (Commonwealth Public Servant)

Now I have more time to play in the 4WD, and find new tracks in the mountains :)

driver42
3rd November 2006, 11:29 AM
I'm a Freight train driver in Victoria for Pac Nat :action-sm

patroler
7th November 2006, 07:27 AM
Roof Truss and wall frame detailer

intens
17th November 2006, 04:23 PM
im a motor mechanic by trade, also run my own verrry small business tinting windows on home/ office, but my full time job now is a truck driver

Grumps
17th November 2006, 08:16 PM
I work in the pre press side of the printing industry. The company has just bought its first decent digital press, so that we can now rip off the client, er I mean maintain control over the creative content.....
I am about to take my 3rd lot of long service leave, having done my apprenticeship with the same company.
Needless to say everything about the job has changed over 35 years, and is now all digital, ( I just wish microsoft products would self destruct when used for purposes not intended. Like printing!!!) but to keep it interesting I have gone through a series of dirt bikes, 1 real sweet ski boat, done a bit of bushwalking and am now driving a 60 series Landcruiser, mainly for camping and exploring the high country in Victoria, rather than seeing how deep I can bog it.

Grumps

BillC
21st November 2006, 06:25 PM
I was a police officer for 30years but retired 3 years ago. Married with adult children. My wife and I now find time to get away from it all in our caravan and enjoy every minute of it. Love golf, model trains and anything else that is not to hard.

BillC :party-smi

Strahan
28th November 2006, 01:47 AM
I am currently a comms officer with the Western Aust. water police. Before that a diving instructor in Port Douglas and the Whitsundays. And in my real life a Lexus tech in Hobart for 17 years.
Travelled around OZ last year - the Cape, Kakadu , Gibb River, and West Oz. have got tracks for most of it if anyone wants some! :action-sm

philland23
28th November 2006, 06:00 PM
Well I use to work as an electrician...but suffered a shoulder injury Dec 04. Surgery ain't helped and tried doing sales rep for a bit.
That lasted 1 month.

Come Jan 07, Me n the missus will be managing an 'executive retreat'...20 rooms... in the Blue Mountains, near Katoomba.

www.hideawayretreat.com.au

Fingwardo
28th November 2006, 09:52 PM
gyday all Im an Engineer in the Navy and usually at this time of night I would be looking after 2 x 10500 shaft horsepower v16 pielstick diesel engines. Have been in the Navy for 25 years I am a Boilermaker,welder,shipwright and airconditioning and refrigeration trade qualified and not to mention sewage tech,(s#!t job!) I take my gps with me overseas and play with it.
I have an obsession with dirtbikes having 6 in the garage at the moment. being 99 ktm 380,99 ktm 300,98 suzuke rmx 250 96 Husky 250wr (sons) 88 dr 200 sons learner and an old sl125.
I have a Fortuna GPS which now doesnt get used much and have also a Garmin etrex legend c which is great.
Live in Hornsby, ride in the Watagans,Dungog,Buladelha and kempsey areas. I also spend to much time buying and selling on Ebay. anyone interested in going for a ride sometime PM me most weekends are free.
cheers Finwardo :food-smil

Keeper of Time
15th April 2007, 08:46 PM
I am a systems administrator for a large engineering company.

Team Jeckyl
15th April 2007, 09:24 PM
I used to be a systems administrator for a government dept. Now I try to avoid computers :grinning-

tony310864
7th May 2007, 07:06 PM
Driving trucks pays the bills for me, in the past I have driven buses, worked on a eucalyptus plantation,commercial diver/diving instuctor,
a bit of time in the navy
Tony.

Zookemu
13th June 2007, 10:09 AM
Im a cabinet maker by trade, but drive buses at the moment. my spare time is filled with moto riding, 4x4ing and speedway racing

Two Snakes
14th June 2007, 08:08 AM
I work is the native seeds and plants industry and do artwork. You can have a look at some here (http://www.envirotalk.com.au/forum/index.php?showforum=121).

A lot of what I do are charcoals like these,

http://www.envirotalk.com.au/forum/uploads/1175984516/tn_gallery_2_25_11717.jpg

http://www.envirotalk.com.au/forum/uploads/1175984516/tn_gallery_2_25_4635.jpg

http://www.envirotalk.com.au/forum/uploads/1180753284/tn_gallery_2_25_64259.jpg

I am also a Landcare volunteer and Convenor and an administrator on a forum called Envirotalk.

- Two Snakes

bshwckr
14th June 2007, 08:42 AM
Fridgy by trade. Working as an engineer at refrigerator factory in Orange.

mattus
15th June 2007, 11:09 PM
I sell air con and heating in Balcatta, WA. And no, we don't freight gear. I'll have to read back through to see how many of you are out this way.

perthpete
29th June 2007, 07:52 PM
Professionally working as IT Proces Manager (contractor) for a services company. One of my main hobbies is photography: http://www.flickr.com/photos/perthpete/collections