PDA

View Full Version : Discoveraus?

dipmaker
8th September 2005, 09:32 AM
I've just purchased a Magellan Meridian Colour and am now looking at some software for it. Being BRAND NEW to gps's (never even turned one on yet), I am thinking of buying Discoveraus, I'm into 4wdriving and would like to be able to find new tracks with it. Is this the way to go or can somebody suggest something better? Any help appreciated.

Ozzie
8th September 2005, 01:10 PM
I've just purchased a Magellan Meridian Colour and am now looking at some software for it. Being BRAND NEW to gps's (never even turned one on yet), I am thinking of buying Discoveraus, I'm into 4wdriving and would like to be able to find new tracks with it. Is this the way to go or can somebody suggest something better? Any help appreciated.

DiscoverAus is great for offroad driving, shows plenty of 4WD tracks, use it with Ozi explorer for detailed mapping and you cant go wrong.

Ozzie

Brutus
8th September 2005, 01:15 PM
Next Destination, who develop Discover Aus, have just released a Topographic version that would be well worth a look. With Discover Aus, which is custom made for Magellan handsets, you are able to upload maps directly to your handset, find all the trails you want whilst out driving and then download the tracks you have just done to your computer at home.
The other option is Oziexplorer which you can use on just about all GPS handsets. The limitations of Oziexplorer is that you can't upload maps to you GPS handset only tracks and waypoints. OziExplorer does not come with any maps so you need to also purchase maps that can be used with Oziexplorer. There are 1:25k and 1:100k NSW topo maps available on this site to download for free.

Hope that helps a bit
Brutus

Ozzie
8th September 2005, 02:26 PM
Next Destination, who develop Discover Aus, have just released a Topographic version that would be well worth a look. Brutus

yes I heard about the new topo version for megellan,, where can I get a sneak preview of it.

Ozzie

Shady
8th September 2005, 04:19 PM
No sneak peaks needed! it's available now. Although Magellan only have stocks of it on an SD memory card. The CD's will be sent out as soon as they get them (read Nov/Dec).
Available at any good GPS shop (read GPS Australia Online).

or I know Arthurking83 has just bought a copy, he's done an initial review HERE (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?t=500)

Cheers
Shady

arthurking83
8th September 2005, 06:43 PM
I'm happy with the DAST topo.
I would have like to have been 'more than happy' but there are one or two niggles.
I would dare say, it's worth the money, considering the effort gone into creating the software.
I extracted the VIC image in vector format, and the detail of the state is incredible!
I can't wait till the CD software comes out, and I really hope that I can load one of the state image files(VIC) to an SD card, on its own, as the meridian really slows sometimes with all that data on the 512Meg SD card.....

Very soon I will compare DAST topo to the earlier version of DAST, as I've just 'highjacked' my mates copy of 'old' DAST.
I will append my 'review' very soon....

cheers.

fethers
10th September 2005, 11:25 AM
How many versions of DAST are there?

I have just bought a secondhand CD and it is ver 1.0 and it's copywrited 2003. Are there updates or newer versions available (other than the topo)?

arthurking83
10th September 2005, 12:06 PM
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong...
There is only one version of DAST, there is the latest incarnation DAST topo available in SD card only(PC software to follow??).
But there is also the Hema maps "Australias Great Desert Tracks" (AGDT) also available.
There are a few (3 maybe 4) versions of Mapsend that have been available.
I have an old copy of WorldWide BaseMap, it's really bad as a mapping solution for Australia!
It would be OK if you were flying around the world and wanted a "general idea" of what land mass you were over :rolleyes:
But Australia's coastlines is so far out of alignment with reality! StKilda/Brighton/Sandringham (seaside Melbourne suburbs) are all under water according to WWBM!

If you check the NextDestination website there is one update for DAST...
It's only for Win'95, '98, and Me users.

hope this helps.

The Explorer
10th September 2005, 04:14 PM
Yes - as far as I know there was ever only one version of DAST.
Cheers
Greg

Daveosgps
14th September 2005, 08:16 PM
Hi

Australias Great Desert Tracks, can someone that uses this software tell me if there is a lot of detail on these for outback locations. ie: old mines , reefs , etc for prospecting.

cheers dave

arthurking83
14th September 2005, 09:11 PM
Hi

Australias Great Desert Tracks, can someone that uses this software tell me if there is a lot of detail on these for outback locations. ie: old mines , reefs , etc for prospecting.
cheers dave

Hi again Daveo!
(Don't quote me here ;) ) But I think that if you have ever seen/used the GDT maps, then it's exactly the same info. Just usable on the Magellan series.
There was a small review Here (http://www.gpsoz.com.au/dast_gdt.htm) detailing some differences, but more about accuracy!
I thought about getting GDT, but I really prefer to see those kind of maps on paper (large print, more "overall" picture, kind of thing!).

Daveosgps
14th September 2005, 09:20 PM
Hi Arthur

Thanks again, and if I was going prospecting out into the deserts I would be taking some hard copy maps I think as well (just for backup of course). I will read a few more threads on the comparisons, GDT etc.

cheers dave

Trevor_S
15th September 2005, 11:43 AM
Hi

No, for that you are better off with the old AUSLIG 1:250K geology maps, they are chock full of info about .. well.. Geology.. :D and of course old mines

I have occasionally found roads/tracks that have not been used for decades by using the info on these maps. They are about 30 years old at least. I use them with Oziexplorer, you used to be able to download them off the Natmap site. That and the NATMAP 250K are much better suited to your purposes. I do a little exploring with a PDA hooked up to my Magellan on my motorbike.

Patrolman Pat
15th September 2005, 04:11 PM
I've used DAST, GDT and Ozi expolrer with my Magellan and have found DAST to have more off road tracks than the others. I've driven down trye tracks in the Big Desert NP that didn't appear on any maps that others travelling with me had but were shown on DAST. It confirmed that we were on a track of some sort and not just following another vehicle who was lost. Having said that i've just aqcuired heaps of digital maps off a mate that I am currently looking at using with the laptop and PDA.

Daveosgps
15th September 2005, 04:20 PM
Hi Trevor

Thanks for the info. I have tried downloading NATMAP files but have been unable to get them to open in Oziexplorer and I dont know what it is I am doing wrong???? May be you can give me a few pointers.

cheers dave

arthurking83
15th September 2005, 07:00 PM
...... I have tried downloading NATMAP files but have been unable to get them to open in Oziexplorer and I dont know what it is I am doing wrong???? May be you can give me a few pointers.
cheers dave

Hi Davoe, what did you download from Natmap?
Is it GIS data?
If so this will only show tracks and points and certain types of areas!!
Is you downloaded data from Natmap in ArcInfo, ArcView or MIF format?

Daveosgps
15th September 2005, 08:30 PM
Hi Davoe, what did you download from Natmap?
Is it GIS data?
If so this will only show tracks and points and certain types of areas!!
Is you downloaded data from Natmap in ArcInfo, ArcView or MIF format?

Yes Arthur all this looks familar and none of it works for me. I spent a bit of time downloading a few NSW Toppo maps from here today and they are great, every one worked.

I may have been doing something wrong when trying to download the NATMAP stuff, but you know how it is when nothing works and your not sure what it is you did wrong.

cheers dave

Trevor_S
15th September 2005, 09:21 PM
Hi Trevor

Thanks for the info. I have tried downloading NATMAP files cheers dave

Try here, point click and download until your hearts content.

http://www.geoscience.gov.au/bin/mapserv36?map=/public/http/www/geoportal/250/index.map&mode=browse&layer=map250&queryon=true

They are available in various resolutions, I suggest a broadband link of some sort is the way to go. I use these on OziCE and Ozi regularly for mines information. DAST, Westprints Outback Tracks, and GDT etc are pretty much useless for anything but getting you to the general area of interest. For use on OziCE/Ozi, Wesptrints Outback Tracks is better them HEMAs GDT in my opinion (I have both, similar coverage) DAST on the Meridian in QLD in particular is less then useful, as there is to much hydrological data to make it usable, I always use the old Streets and Destination QLD map as a basemap when in QLD (aside from when I use the maps I have created myself using MMO)

You will have to calibrate them, they are only JPEGs. AGD66 (Datum), UTM (projection) and use the Lat and Long in the corners of the map.

This is my setup on my KTM 640 Adventure motorbike

http://members.dodo.net.au/~tgs7/trev/GPS/pict0234.jpg

Daveosgps
16th September 2005, 07:58 AM
Hi Trevor

Thanks for that link, I just tried it and it was a success. Downloaded the Dubbo Geo 1:250 and calibrated it in the Ozie and all is well. Not been able to get this to work before so thanks mate :D

cheers dave

Daveosgps
21st September 2005, 01:30 PM
Hi

Is it possible to get a waypoint that has been saved in Discover Aus and use it in Oziexplorer. If its possible can someone explain the steps on how to do this please. :confused:

cheers dave

SenutyEnool
21st September 2005, 01:55 PM
Hi Trevor

Thanks for that link, I just tried it and it was a success. Downloaded the Dubbo Geo 1:250 and calibrated it in the Ozie and all is well. Not been able to get this to work before so thanks mate :D

cheers dave

G'day Dave,

could you please provide some quick steps as to how to calibrate the maps for use with Ozie, which I'm currently playing around with, but it's still a bit overwhelming at this stage till I muck around with it further.

Cheers

Daveosgps
21st September 2005, 03:06 PM
Hi

I am very new at this as well, but I'll try. More advanced users may see mistakes in this, and if you do please correct them.

Here goes, Open the file using, Load and Calibrate Map Image, when the map has loaded give it a name, make sure the datum is correct,then click on Point 1 and type in the Lat/long that is displayed in say the top left hand corner of the map, then click on Point 2 and scroll across to the right hand top corner and type in the Lat/Long.

Repeat the process for Points 3 and 4 using the bottom left hand and bottom right hand corner Lat/Long and then save the whole thing with the save button.

Now you should be able to open the map up from the Load from file Load map file choice.

I hope this is what you were asking!!!!!!!

cheers dave

arthurking83
21st September 2005, 07:27 PM
Hi
Is it possible to get a waypoint that has been saved in Discover Aus and use it in Oziexplorer. If its possible can someone explain the steps on how to do this please. :confused:
cheers dave

Hi again Dave!

Easy way!...
Upload waypoint A using DAST onto the GPS, and then open Ozi and download it from the GPS :D (thats the easy way!)

The second easy way :p :......
Get GPSBabel or GPSBabelWrapper (great GPS conversion tool)!
GPSBabelWrapper is a teeny-weeny bit easier to use.
You will see all options you need in the GUI make sure you select "waypoint" as the type of file you want to convert. (you won't need instructions to use this just, 5 mins of mucking around).
You will need to select [mapsend Magellan Mapsend] from the dropdown box, for the file type. And there is/should be only 1 option for Ozi.

The easiest way!!.......
NOW!!!! forget everything I just said and try Craigus' new File Converter (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/view.php?pg=convert) :eek:

Daveosgps
21st September 2005, 08:49 PM
Hi Arthur

I've had a go at it, using the Cragius converter that is. Well so far so good, it has converted the discover aus saved waypoint file to a txt file, but this wont open in Ozie. Did I miss something or did I do it wrong.

In the converter I went browse and chose the file to convert and then went file from magellan mapsend to Ozie on the drop down menu choices, and it converted and saved it as a txt file. This is where it lost me so to speak.

cheers dave

festy
21st September 2005, 08:58 PM
a txt file? It should have saved it as a .wpt file...

Daveosgps
21st September 2005, 09:08 PM
Hmmm I'll give it another go tomorrow and let you know how it goes

cheers dave

greg1
21st September 2005, 10:17 PM
Hi,

I'm new at this also.

Ozzie stated above that Discoveraus maps can be used in Oziexplorer.
How are they imported into Ozi, or do they have to be converted.
Could you give a brief outline on how to do this, thanks

arthurking83
22nd September 2005, 07:10 PM
Hi,
I'm new at this also.
Ozzie stated above that Discoveraus maps can be used in Oziexplorer.
How are they imported into Ozi, or do they have to be converted.
Could you give a brief outline on how to do this, thanks

DAST 'MAPS' can't be used in Ozi!!
Track files and waypoints can, but need to be converted.
Technically the maps "can" be used but there is a long, and difficult process involved and you won't gain anything from it!!

cheers.

greg1
22nd September 2005, 09:38 PM
thanks Arthur for clearing that up, my misunderstanding.

Greg

arthurking83
22nd September 2005, 10:02 PM
thanks Arthur for clearing that up, my misunderstanding.

Greg

THIS (http://members.optushome.com.au/~arthurking83/Stuff/Vic_img_DAST_shp_fGIS.jpg) image took me over a week to figure out how to display it!
It's an image of the VIC.img in the new topo DAST SD card.
The only thing it doesn't display here is the topo lines (green).
I had to extract the img file (the program that I used, isn't yet available for general use, I think??)......
One day, I will do a small howto in the Magellan forum, on how to view your Mapsend/DAST 'data' in a more broad layout, like Ozi or a mapping program like fGIS or something.
It's too tedious to try to edit the DAST image data, so I've given up for now....

cheers

Ozzie
22nd September 2005, 10:33 PM
Hi

cheers dave

Its great for roads, tracks fuel stops etc, but for detailed eg prospecting no its not, but if you know the general location you want to check out then its ideal .

Ozzie

Daveosgps
26th September 2005, 01:47 PM
Hi

I did try the Cragius converter again and this time it worked fine. I see where I went wrong the first time now, its was just near the end when it gives an option of .txt or all files the first time i didnt see the txt option and just kept on clicking ahead. But all is well now :D

cheers dave

mitchofsutho
30th September 2005, 09:51 AM
Re DAST -v- GDT:

Firstly you need to remember that there are now two versions of each product.

DAST
1. DAST Version 1 (no topo) About $240.00.
Good for general planning. Some sections of major and minor roads missing, including Pacific Hwy in North Coast NSW. Good detail, mainly metropolitian and coastal regions including many 4 x 4 tracks.

2. DAST Topo. About $400.00
This is the latest version of DAST and is currently only available on 512 SD card with the CD to be sent out to SD card purchasers later this year. It will also be available for purchase on a CD later this year.

I currently own DAST Version 1 and have had a play around with DAST Topo. I will definately be upgrading to Topo. Other than contour lines being added, the identified errors in DAST V1 have been corrected and there are also many more useful features in DAST Topo that were not available in DAST V1.

DAST V1 Upgrade to DAST Topo

The distributers, Next Generation (Toll Free: 1800 644 033), are also offering an upgrade from DAST V1 to DAST Topo at a cost of $250 + postage. With the $250 you need only send the serial number of DAST V1. You keep the actual DAST V1 CD.

At this current time, only a preloaded 512 SD card version of DAST Topo is available. So if you upgrade or purchase DAST Topo before Christmas, you will only be sent the preloaded 512 SD card version.

If you purchase or upgrade to DAST Topo after Christmas, you can order either a preloaded SD card version, or when it becomes avalable later this year, the CD version, which I have been advised comes with a blank 512 SD card.

Both the preloaded SD Card and the CD versions are the same product. The delay in the CD version being released is to do with production, packaging etc. The SD cards only need the data downloaded onto a SD card to be sent out.

Now, if you upgraded to the preloaded SD card version, and later decide you want the CD version, you will need to return the preloaded SD card and Next Generation will exchange it for a CD version together with a blank SD card. The reason that they require the preloaded SD card to be returned, is that they consider the preloaded SD card and the CD version to be two separate, licenced copies of the program (DAST Topo). If you kept the preloaded SD card and they sent out the CD version to you as well, they consider you would in effect have received two separate licenced products for the price of one. It makes sense in a marketing/sales sort of way. Postage for the exchange will be at the purchasers expense.

To take advantage of the upgrade offer, you must deal with Next Generation direct. Dealers are not involved, nor can they offer the upgrade from DAST V1 to DAST Topo.

Hema Great Desert Tracks
1. Hema GDT Version (about $79) for use in OziExplorer.
This version can not be used to send maps to a GPS unit.
Data (waypoints, tracks etc) can be sent to a GPS using OziExplorer.

2. Hema/Magellan GDT version (About $240), is only for use with Magellan Meridian, Explorist and some others in the Magellan GPS range.
This version can be used to send map images, as well as data to certain Meridian GPS units. This images and data can also be saved on 128MB< SD cards.

Neither version of GDT currently comes with contour lines as DAST Topo does.

DAST Topo -v- GDT
As for which product to use with Meridian GPS units - DAST or GDT? Good question, but it appears to get down to your particular requirement.

Both products have a similar base map of major roads, towns, etc. It is the finer detail and points of interest that changes.

The general consensus is that DAST is better for coastal/metro/towns and general touring. GDT is better for the more remote and desert regions and although it is still good for general touring and includes most of the town details, the major city and available points of interests are not as good as DAST.

Another member of this group has already provided a link, earlier in this thread, to a comparison between DAST V1 (non topo) and GDT (Hema/Magellan) software for use with Magellan GPS Units. It can be found at http://www.gpsoz.com.au/dast_gdt_copy.htm.

I hope this information assists with the confusion surrounding the different versions of these products. :confused:

bluezooky
30th September 2005, 05:08 PM
Don't like to make it simple they :)
When you purchase the card version can you download the whole thing to your pc for pretrip planning?
Regards Charlie

arthurking83
30th September 2005, 07:08 PM
......When you purchase the card version can you download the whole thing to your pc for pretrip planning?
Regards Charlie

No! (kind of!)
Without the (yet to be released CD) you can't do anything with the SD card data, except view it on your GPSr.

You can pre-plan trips using the GPSr but that's not really an option, in the same way Ozi is!

* waits impatiently for the CD :rolleyes: *

cheers.

mitchofsutho
4th October 2005, 12:30 PM
Don't like to make it simple they :)
When you purchase the card version can you download the whole thing to your pc for pretrip planning?
Regards Charlie

My understanding is that the SD card version only stores the images and data, but not the actual Application to run and view the images and data on a PC. For that you will need the CD version of the product when it is available.

I believe that the SD card version only allows the data to be accessed via the select Magellan GPS Units, in a similar way as DAST V1.

ding
7th October 2005, 07:33 PM
In that case and thankyou for your research, I will wait for the Cd version to become available before I update.

Ding

dipmaker
4th November 2005, 08:14 AM
Just like to say thankyou for all the info and comments made, sorry I have been so slack in responding to a thread that I started, still being very new to the world of G.P.S's I have a read of all new posts and hopefully learn a little everyday. This is a great site. One day I may actually may be able to use my Meridian colour and DiscoverAus.

Cheers, Steve.(Dipmaker)

magex400
31st January 2007, 05:50 PM
In that case and thankyou for your research, I will wait for the Cd version to become available before I update.

Ding

I believe that if you download mapsend lite you can connect the gps to the pc with the SD card inside and view the maps and plan routes

JohnMclean
7th February 2007, 11:05 AM
DAST 'MAPS' can't be used in Ozi!!
Track files and waypoints can, but need to be converted.
Technically the maps "can" be used but there is a long, and difficult process involved and you won't gain anything from it!!

cheers.

Say what?????
I thought one of the main purposes of DAST was to work with oziexplorer? Im sure i've had replys to my thread basically stating that this is the way to go? Can you please clarifiy before I start ****ing my hard eaRned away? Why is it that the DAST on cdrom won't work on oziexplorer, I cant see any other reaSon to even have it.

**confused**

arthurking83
7th February 2007, 03:21 PM
the maps on the DAST cdrom, are only compatible for viewing with Magellan software or GPS receiver hardware.

They are of a format that is proprietary to Magellan.

There are a couple of other programs that can be used with these map types, but are for ******** software types, and not for general mapping!

The only reason to have DAST, or any other magellan mapping product, like GDT and BlueNav XL3 etc.. is to be abale to upload the maps to your GPSr.
You can of course use, DAST v1 on cd, on the PC and use the GPS for moving map on a PC based system too... but there are better options for moving map navigation.. namely Ozi! :D

If you were planing to get DAST only for moving map, that may be a bad idea.

If you have a Magellan GPSr then the only (easy) method for getting maps on the GPSr is to use a magellan mapping product like DAST...etc

:)

ps DAST and Ozi are competing products(in a manner of speaking).

and even though the older Meridian hardware needs map images with a .img extension, they are not the same as the Garmin .img file types! So each mfgr has their maps for their hardware!

The Explorer
7th February 2007, 03:24 PM
Say what?????
I thought one of the main purposes of DAST was to work with oziexplorer? Im sure i've had replys to my thread basically stating that this is the way to go? Can you please clarifiy before I start ****ing my hard eaRned away? Why is it that the DAST on cdrom won't work on oziexplorer, I cant see any other reaSon to even have it.

**confused**

Brief explanation...
DAST is a stand alone GPS Mapping program as is OziExplorer - both can connect to a Magellan GPS for upload/download of waypoints etc (though if you have an explorist you will need tio use Mapsend Lite V2 to interface between DAST and Explorist) but exchanging actual maps is a different story. DAST uses vector mapping data in special format that can not be used in any other program (besides Magellans Mapsend Lite and in Magellan GPS units). OziExplorer uses scanned or digital (raster format) maps. You can not use these maps in a Magellan GPS units or any other "normal" hand held. You can however get a version of OziExplorer that works on GPS equiped PDA's. OziExplorer can be used to interface with just about any handheld GPS make or model for download/upload of data and moving map. DAST can only be used with Magellan GPS units (though you can if you try hard get it to use NMEA data from any GPS for moving map.

Cheers
Greg

one_iota
7th February 2007, 06:44 PM
As described above:

There is a fundamental difference between Vector (intelligent lines) and Raster (dumb lines) based maps.

It is the difference between CAD draughting (where the beginning and end of the line is defined by an x,y and z coordinate in space) and a line drawn on a piece of parchment with ink by a feather quill.

We are in the hands of the Cartographers.

DAST is Vector and is not applicable to applications that use Raster (Oziexplorer).

A Magellan Unit as most GPSr will drive Ozi on your Laptop or PDA providing that you have raster maps installed on the laptop or PDA.

If you want "native maps" embedded in your Magellan (and they are good) then you are bound to buy DAST or the topo version. I have used both.

Using Mapsend or Lite topo will enable you to also see your postion on the Laptop or PDA as well as the GPSr.

If you have both DAST and Ozi with raster maps then you can have the best (and the worst) of both worlds. I have used both.

The luxury of:

$

It depends on what you want from your GPSr and how do you use it?

This is a debate that could rage.

Nicko
7th February 2007, 09:25 PM
:food-smil :whip-sm Ok, I got a tricky question for anyone who wears the smart pants.... as Google Earth is very good in city areas for detail but not so at Cape York, I would have thought that it could be quite useful if the images could be snapped up as a georeferenced image from the screen and create a decent sat image of Australia with tracks plotted if required or added by individuals. Go on tell me I make sense! :whip-sm

The Explorer
8th February 2007, 11:01 AM
:food-smil :whip-sm Ok, I got a tricky question for anyone who wears the smart pants.... as Google Earth is very good in city areas for detail but not so at Cape York, I would have thought that it could be quite useful if the images could be snapped up as a georeferenced image from the screen and create a decent sat image of Australia with tracks plotted if required or added by individuals. Go on tell me I make sense! :whip-sm

Hello - was discussed on the Yahoo OziExplorer users group a while ago. I didnt follow it myself as I generally use WA state govt supplied airphotos from Landgate - mostly same data but easy to import into OziExplorer (though less coverage)...anyway got the impression there was some issue with projection (not a standard one??) and accuracy of coords in Google earth ie if you did screen captures and then tried to stitch together things just dont match up - may need to use some spe******t "rubber map" software. Probably Ok for small areas - Also I dont think you can automatically get georeferencing data for captured images - you will probably have to do that manually (?). Best I can suggest is have a read of the threads/post on the OziExplorer group and see what they have come up with.
Cheers
Greg