PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Legend & motorbike mount

cmg
9th September 2005, 07:27 AM
I'll need a mount so I can attach the GPS to my bike. As far as I know there is the RAM mount @ $70 (the best mount I believe) and the bike mount @ $33 (pictured), due to financial constraints, I was thinking I might be able to get away with the bike one, has anyone else used one of these?
Problems I can think of: vibration, GPS falling off as it isnt secured as well (I believe)
I figure I can loop the lanyard around the handle bars (similar to how it loops into GPS) so that if it falls off it will still hang there.

Any thoughts?

Shady
9th September 2005, 07:40 AM
I haven't used this type of mount on my bike but I can offer some experiences others have had. Oe of the members here I have gone for a ride with (nige525) when he just got his brand new meridian gold complete with a genuine magellan bikemount. Within the first 15 mins of riding his meridian had fallan off. He eventually foud it by walking back over the trails we had just ridden but he know puts the handset in his back pack.

Another one of our members (swampy) has a garmin Geko that sits nice and tight in a nokia mobile phone holder secured with some elastic bands and has never come loose, and considering the places swampy takes his bike, it's a wonder how it stayed there fo 30 mins. He's a madman.

I have seen plenty of RAM Mounts and not one bad report about them, but one point I have picked up and pass on is where to mount. Mounting on the highpoint of the handle bars leaves the handset too high and can be kmnocked off. The best setup i've seen is by another member (Minusone) who has his base below the handle bars right on the barkbusters which positions the handset really low and out of the way but still clearly visable.
Hopefully if he reads this Ian might post a picture for you.

Just a few ideas for you, but also consider one thing if you've just spent hundreds of dollars on your GPS handset, I'd suggest that an extra $40 on a secure mount would be well worth the money. Call it cheap insurance.
I know plenty of guys that have had their handsets come off whilest riding never to be found again.

Cheer
Shady

nzdave
9th September 2005, 12:43 PM
I have a Garmin Etrex and using the bracket pictured (trail riding on a Wr450f). Only done about 4 rides but bracket hold the gps well, never had any problems. I have aftermarket handle bars which are a bit thicker than normal, the brack just fits, normal bars wouldn't be a problem. Thumbs up from me :D

michaeld
9th September 2005, 02:21 PM
get 1 old front tube cut 8mm rubber band attack gps to handle bar and mine hasn't fallen off yet , I have fallen off 100 times

mytmav
9th September 2005, 06:56 PM
Got a legend and garmin bike mount, found that batteries move around when you hit any corrugations or bumps, and unit switches itself off.
cut out cardboard and stuck it behind the battery connections, and also race taped the batteries together, works fine now. Also running fat bars and had to take to the mount with a die grinder to get the sucker to fit. :eek:

cmg
10th September 2005, 07:09 AM
Thanks for your replies and ideas guys (and gals if any of you are)

still not sure what to do,
thinking I will carry GPS in backpack and wait till Christmas to see what santa brings, (and it better be a RAM mount)

woosha
11th September 2005, 02:37 PM
cmg, I've got a legend also and keep mine in a "mobile phone holder/pouch thingy" that is attached to the strap on my camelbak. I keep it there if I'm on a ride in new territory when its needed often. On rides in area's i'm familiar with in goes in the camelbak.

I was reluctant to mount it on the bars as a loop out on a hill or something similar would cause some major damage. Now I hear you saying "what if I go sliding down the track after a stack." But on the rides where I'm using the gps often I'm normally travelling at a slower pace and stacks aren't as major.

Trevor_S
12th September 2005, 08:19 PM
My suggestion, ditch the speedo put a GPS and a pushbike speedo on, use a RAM mount and a bracket on the back to attach it and isolate some of the vibes (use XR indicator rubbers from the '80s to isolate the vibes). Assuming you have a battery on your bike, grab a power supply (bare wires) from GPSOZ, put it inline with a fuse.

On my KTM 640 Adv (bracket with no GPS)

http://members.dodo.net.au/~tgs7/trev/GPS/pict0231.jpg

On my KTM 640 Adv (bracket with GPS & Pocket PC)

http://members.dodo.net.au/~tgs7/trev/GPS/pict0234.jpg

A mates XR 400
http://members.iinet.net.au/~tgs7/trev/img_0402.jpg

My Husky 450
http://members.dodo.net.au/~tgs7/trev/GPS/dscn2099_crp.jpg

helterskelter400
21st September 2005, 02:59 PM
great to see other bike setups.

sorry. not garmin but bike gps setup none the less.
this is bare.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/helterskelter400/bike/40904f6e.jpg

this is with the old 2000xl & map on bars

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/helterskelter400/bike/ff5f76df.jpg

this is meridian colour. (map can now stay in pocket with compass ect). woo hoo.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/helterskelter400/bike/c8a20fc8.jpg

i love an xr with a big tank. its like that saying if a map is a window to adventure, a bike with a big tank is the passport. haha. too bad i've just stuffed my back so off road is off limits atm.

cmg
21st September 2005, 03:32 PM
Sorry guys, I started another thread with the result, and piccy
It is HERE (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?t=570)
should of put it here in hindsight.

saab463
7th November 2005, 06:35 PM
CMG
I have used that style of garmin handlebar mount before with an etrex I used to have and found that while the mount itself was strong enough, the locking pin eventually rattled around enough to allow some play in the battery cover, which in turn meant that that the unit was no longer water or dust proof and also that the batteries rattled around. I am currently using a garmin bar mount with my 60 cs and while this is much better (it is a totally diff=erent design) it is still not ideal. It has survived quite a few get offs much, but unless I am specifically following a loaded track or route, I just leave it in my camel back.
Cheers saab :)

cmg
8th November 2005, 05:18 AM
well the unit survived its first loop out on Sunday (thank god), I have noticed that the battery cover was somewhat loose, but I found when I packed it with foam and cardboard that it appears to have no battery shake (well it hasnt turned off yet). As for waterproofing, the handbook for my legend states that the unit itself is waterproof (under 1 metre of water for half an hour I think), but that the battery compartment is not, therefore after getting wet the battery compartment should be opened and cleaned. Im actually glad you mentioned this, as I hadnt opened and cleaned it from Sundays drenching, which I will do tonight.
As a second bit of safety in case of the battery cover coming loose, I also wrap the lanyard around the handlebar croos bar, so if it comes off hopefully I'll notice it hanging there and can stop and either reattach it, or put it in my backpack.

forest wanderer
23rd February 2006, 07:03 PM
hi nzdave
i have a garmin 60C and use the mount pictured on my wr250f. i did have a little trouble fitting it on to the fat bars but didn't have to do and filing or grinding just put a longer screw in it so it had more free play. i don't have it tightened right up hard, so it can move if it takes a big hit. it's located in the middle of the 2 handlebar mounts just sliighty of centre to the left. i do wrap the lanyard around the front blinker just in case. i did have some trouble with it switching off and tried putting carboard under the batteries as someone said but no luck, so i ended up buying a cigarette adaptor and a lead and wired it straight to the bike battery since then no probs.
i have stack HEAPS and never had any probs with it. sometimes when i'm stiuck on a hill and pushing like crazy my chest will contact the GPS and rotate it slightly forward but i just twist it back no biggie.hope some of this helps