PDA

View Full Version : Discover Aus Streets and Tracks....help!

arthurking83
11th September 2005, 09:28 PM
I'm kind of hoping that this thread will grow as we learn......
I'm having some difficulty with this handy program.
It does some cool things, like playback a saved track (I like watching myself drive to Ballarat, 110Klms from Melbourne, in 5 mins :D )
My problem is the time it outputs! It's in UTC, which I think is either 10 or 11 hours behind, depending on our Daylight Saving Time(DST)??
When I download the track log for my day of driving (about 300klms) the time it outputs is only in UTC, so my log file would look like this:
134kmh, 210°t, 01:45:03.45, 04/09/2005, S3712.3456, E14436.7890, 34m,...

Now I know I wasn't on the road at 1:45 AM Sunday morning! Doing 134kmh ;)

Does anyone using DAST, know how to output in local time, or add the appropriate amount of time in DAST? There should be a configuration option for this!!
This wouldn't be a problem if One was a resident of Greenwich :D

I'm sure others have questions or answers on how to get the best out of DAST.
Feel free to post tips, questions, answers, or links on how to use this program more effectively.
This will make it easier for others to come here looking for questions on how to do this or that....
:)

Ozzie
11th September 2005, 09:39 PM
gday

One quick question,, what time format is your computer set on..

Ozzie

arthurking83
11th September 2005, 10:35 PM
Computer is set to 12 hour (ie AM/PM format) local time (AEST)

I have seen this problem using G7ToWin also, but in some config boxes, you can set the output to display in local time :) That's what DAST needs.
I reckon there's got to be a registry hack that can fix this.....but where/how?

I'd like to stick with using DAST for track file logging as the xls spreadsheet export option could come in handy. (Plus the geek factor in replaying the track at 50x speed :rolleyes: )

Ozzie
12th September 2005, 11:56 AM
well that blew my thoery out of the water. Ive had a good look and there is now way to configure the time on dast itself,, so im thinking along the same line as you, its gotta be dont through the registry, will check it out and see what I can come up with.

Ozzie

Ozzie
12th September 2005, 12:01 PM
Just a thought have you thought of emailing "next generation" they may well have or know of a 3rd party add in that can fix that problem.

Ozzie

slammer
29th October 2005, 07:09 PM
I had similar problems with downloaded tracks. I solved the problem by opening Track Control (F6), highlight the track and click edit track (the pencil button).

Adjust the first entry to local time and all successive times are adjusted. Save the track and presto.

:)

J..
29th October 2005, 09:43 PM
Sorry I have no input on this actual thread subject, but I would love to know how to do what is being talked about here.

ie.

134kmh, 210°t, 01:45:03.45, 04/09/2005, S3712.3456, E14436.7890, 34m,...

I have DAST topo, can I actually see what speeds and direction I was traveling at points along a track log? Can the eXplorist log top recorded speeds etc?

arthurking83
29th October 2005, 11:18 PM
Thanks slammer for the heads up! :o such an obvious solution....DOH!
J..
If you have the PC software DAST (v1), when you download your next track log (or can do it with a previously saved track), you can save the track as an .xls(excel spreadsheet) file.

Try it and check it out in Excel, or if you dan't use Excel you could try the freebie OpenOffice.

The track has speed, alt, time, etc data saved :D
You may notice sometimes that speed may vary wildly!! This is position/accuracy errors by the GPS!
eg. you may have been travelling @ 100km/h and in one or two seconds you could have madly accelerated to 129km/h, then back to 100 again.

If you don't have DAST PC software yet, here are other programs that can 'show you your track log in this way. G7Towin (http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/) is one!

(hopefully our DAST topo PC software is in the mail ;) )

cheers.

J..
30th October 2005, 11:20 AM
Cheers Arthur! I think you are now personally responsible for at least 50% of my GPS knowledge :D

Well there’s yet another reason to wait by the mail box each day till the postie delivers the CD hay!

michaeld
30th October 2005, 01:46 PM
Thanks Slammer thats handy setting the time