PDA

View Full Version : GPS setup advice

jumpin_jeep
13th September 2005, 08:19 PM
Hi, I am new to the forum and have been told this is a great resource for all things GPS.

I am looking looking for advice on a GPS setup, I am a keen off roader and the GPS would largely be used to navigation on trips etc.

I am looking towards a PDA or laptop setup:

1) I have a Palm Tungsten E, I have previously been told this unit is not capable of operating Nav software, I have however located a GPS receiver on eBay designed for the Tungsten E. Could anyone please advise me as to the suitability on the Tungsten E and what setup would be appropriate?

2) I have a Toshiba lap-top the I no longer use, it is not as practical as a PDA however it would probably be the easier option. As above could someone please advise me on how to set it up for GPS navigation?

Thanks

arthurking83
13th September 2005, 08:39 PM
Hi jumpin_jeep,
If you have a laptop that U don't use try doing a similar thing to Craigus' project...Here (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?t=397)
The screen looks really cool, and you would only need to buy the screen and software.

I'm contemplating a similar system (using a laptop with a broken screen) as I find a laptop in the middle of the front seats a little cumbersome.

This way you have the lappy under the front seat (easy to access) screen where ever to feel is conveinient etc...

just one option!

cheers

Craigus
13th September 2005, 08:47 PM
Hi mate,

Firstly welcome to the forums.

I can't help you with your palm questions sorry.. Though I should be right for the lappy setup!

There are a few options availble for the lappy, for all your off-road needs you really cannot go past OziExplorer (http://www.oziexplorer.com/) I have been using it for some time now and find it fantastic!

For on-road/voice navigation I use FreeDrive..

You can simply connect your hand held to the lappy and these apps use the NMEA data provided by your GPS.

I hope this helps a little.

jumpin_jeep
14th September 2005, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the heads up guys...

One question...what do you mean by connecting the handheld to the lappy? and how is this done?

arthurking83
14th September 2005, 07:08 PM
Any GPS you buy should be able to connect to a computer.
That is, look for any device that is PC connectable!
Magellan explorist 100-300 models are not connectable to a computer (without voiding the warranty ;) )
I have been reading about certain Garmin Etrex models that have a USB connection mode, but cannot output NMEA!! Avoid this model (unsure which ones??) Reason is that it uses a proprietry method of communicating to a PC, and will only communicate with a limited set of software ( Garmin! :mad: )

If you were to get a BT or USB mouse type GPS, then it is connectable to a computer. Then you can run your Navigator software or whatever you decide is best for your wants/needs.

hope this helps!