PDA

View Full Version : NEW to GPS'

Cuzzo
20th September 2005, 12:29 PM
Hi I have just bought a GPS on ebay and it has no base maps if that is the right word. So I guess I need to know what i need to do from here? The GPS is a Garmin Etrex. I gather ozi explorer is something I should get but don't I need something else as well? Any help much appreciated!

Pluto
20th September 2005, 04:20 PM
Hi I have just bought a GPS on ebay and it has no base maps if that is the right word. So I guess I need to know what i need to do from here? The GPS is a Garmin Etrex. I gather ozi explorer is something I should get but don't I need something else as well? Any help much appreciated!You'll find Ozi is a great help with your Etrex. I currently have an Etrex Summit which is also non mapping.

The additional items you will require to get the two talking is a data cable or a power/data cable and some digital maps to use in Ozi. A good start is the Raster 250K maps from Geoscience Australia. I don't think Shady has it in stock yet, but it's commonly available. Try your local map shop.

It would also be a good idea to check what firmware version you've got and download the latest from Garmin.

If you have a PC that doesn't have a serial port, you'll also need a USB to serial convertor.

Cuzzo
20th September 2005, 05:12 PM
Thanks Pluto, I will look into that. How do I check what the current version of firmware? I am guessing that firmware is something like an OS?

cmg
20th September 2005, 06:25 PM
How do I check what the current version of firmware?
mine checked the first time it was connected to the computer, I was online at the time registering my Metroguide software, so maybe that was why.

Pluto
20th September 2005, 07:11 PM
How do I check what the current version of firmware? I am guessing that firmware is something like an OS?Go to the Menu page and select:

Setup > System > Software

The version should be displayed. If it doesn't then there is a difference between the Etrex and Summit menus and you'll have to check the manual.

Cuzzo
21st September 2005, 10:03 AM
Thanks guys, I found it. Now the next stage! Cheers :-)