PDA

View Full Version : Security Now Podcast

Dooghan
12th July 2008, 04:17 AM
Does anyone listen to the above podcast? I was just listening to episode 151 on the new generation AD tracking. It blow me away how AD companies will soon be able to track your every move on the web and how ISP's are selling us out for money. Here's the link for anyone that's interested Security Now Episode 151 (http://media.grc.com/sn/sn-151.mp3) and here's the link to the main site Security Now podcast (http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm).

Pocileh
12th July 2008, 08:46 PM
I've not been listening to this podcast (yet), but if you are worried about being tracked in general and you think about it, then worry also about your mobile phone. This can be tracked down with a precision of ten to twenty meters.
Phone companies make some profit by selling the tracing results of cellphones to companies like TomTom or traffic guidance institutes.
By observing the average speed of mobiles predictions can be made about traffic density and eventual traffic-jams. The info is generalized so individual phones cannot be recognised, but this info IS available.....
What about using your bankcard, credit-card or customer card...
Paying road taxes after being traced by GPS-information you have to broadcast to the tax-system.....not in use yet but probably within 5 years. They SAY they won't use the info about your beings for other purposes......
Type your own (nick-)name in the Google search window....you might be astonished about the outcome. But is all about you as a person? Or about other persons having the same name and doing things your Mum never teached you?
It's known that headhunters use this kind of information and it's not allways filtererd the right way.
Modern technology amongst which is the Internet can be a blessing but.......

Mr Router
13th July 2008, 07:34 AM
things your mom never teached you? It's Mum ol'mate not mom :hatoff

Dooghan
13th July 2008, 09:40 AM
I've not been listening to this podcast (yet), but if you are worried about being tracked in general and you think about it, then worry also about your mobile phone. This can be tracked down with a precision of ten to twenty meters.
Phone companies make some profit by selling the tracing results of cellphones to companies like TomTom or traffic guidance institutes.
By observing the average speed of mobiles predictions can be made about traffic density and eventual traffic-jams. The info is generalized so individual phones cannot be recognised, but this info IS available.....
What about using your bankcard, credit-card or customer card...
Paying road taxes after being traced by GPS-information you have to broadcast to the tax-system.....not in use yet but probably within 5 years. They SAY they won't use the info about your beings for other purposes......
Type your own (nick-)name in the Google search window....you might be astonished about the outcome. But is all about you as a person? Or about other persons having the same name and doing things your mom never teached you?
It's known that headhunters use this kind of information and it's not allways filtererd the right way.
Modern technology amongst which is the Internet can be a blessing but.......I don't have a mobile phone and haven't had one in years. I'm not going to discuss my bank details online :tickedoff The tax system :sick1 and a Google search of my Nick didn't show much I didn't know already.

bshwckr
13th July 2008, 11:08 AM
I really don't care. I am not interesting enough for anyone to want to track or be interested in any of my activities. :yawn

Pocileh
13th July 2008, 06:41 PM
It's Mum ol'mate not mom :hatoff
Okay, corrected it :wave

But now you write the equivalent in Dutch :lol2

As a whole, I don't worry too much about these things. I have a cell-phone but it hardly ever is switched on. Only in those moments I need it.
And the other things...., I'm afraid it's all time related and I won't be able to fight it, but I want to be aware of it.

Some things are very silly in my opinion but it's often within the spirit of that era.
As an example:
The outcry over here is environment (where is it NOT?) and we all should switch from the well know bulb to LED lights as to conserve energy.
But nobody cares about open malls where every store has large openings (so called entries :lol2 ) in the facades. During wintertime heating is doing overtime to keep it warm, in summertime it's the AC.
Who bothers??? :blah :blah :blah