PDA

View Full Version : Motorbike GPS ???

princess66
24th September 2005, 02:28 PM
Hi All

Only newbie so be gentle.... Just wondering what GPS people are finding to be the best for putting on a trailbike?? Did the searches and still a little confused. :confused: I want one to be able to map out tracks and the like also the usual stuff like helping me not get lost. Fairly sturdy because I have a bad habit of letting the bike lay down for a rest once and a while. :D Any ideas please??

Craigus
24th September 2005, 02:41 PM
I would be looking at one of the Magellan eXplorist range of handhelds. They're a great little unit with plenty of features, not too badly priced either for a map capable unit. The eXplorist 400 would suit me very well.

eXplorist 400 specs (https://www.gpsaustralia.net/shop/product_info.php?products_id=171&osCsid=944e5ebdc0e6a4d393fb97b4eed0f2ff)

helterskelter400
24th September 2005, 10:11 PM
craigus. what would be the benifits of an explorist over a similar meridian??

Shady
24th September 2005, 10:53 PM
craigus. what would be the benifits of an explorist over a similar meridian??

About half the size, much brighter screen and the meridian series has all but been discontinued.

helterskelter400
24th September 2005, 11:23 PM
much brighter screen

size and discontinued doesnt seem to be a prob as it isnt "big" and it works beutifully.
if the explorist has a brighter screen without the light on thats a plus as it should save a bit of battery life. although ATM am getting good life out of mag & AAs and if get stuck away from a recharge and spares are flattery, AAs are readily avail.
next bike will have to have a battery and then power/recharge wont be a issue.

thanks

cmg
25th September 2005, 07:15 AM
I went with the Garmin Legend, it's quite small, light and has heaps of features, all for $300, so far Im only using a bicycle mount on my motorbike, as you can see the Legend fits underneath the crossbar, which I think is a protection bonus.

princess66
25th September 2005, 07:22 AM
MMMM........Still doing the homework but it seems to be narrowed down to a MAG Gold or the Explorist 400??

pt539
25th September 2005, 09:06 AM
Sorry to be a little off topic but cmg how waterproof is your gps. If you had a hard time through a river crossing would it survive?

As for which GPS setup I cant go past a Bluetooth PPC with Oziexplorer CE on it. But it is a lot more of a setup. You have to get a Pocket PC with bluetooth, a bluetooth GPS a rugged case for the PPC and then find a way to mount the Bluetooth GPS on your bike so that it is waterproof. More details can be found here http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?t=598

PT

fethers
25th September 2005, 09:06 AM
The Legend even comes in Yamaha blue! :D

yogie
25th September 2005, 10:11 AM
I run the meridian yellow, tuff and robust, even washed in a creek once was so covered in mud and crap, very happy with it, using the discoveraus1 software, 10/10. i was going to up grade to the platnuim or gold colour but why bother unless I geta good second hand one real cheap. I have the factory handle bar clamp and its real good on cutting out the vibration, but If I need to look at it for longer than 5 secs I always stop.... :D

see pic below.... :eek:

cmg
25th September 2005, 11:31 AM
Sorry to be a little off topic but cmg how waterproof is your gps. If you had a hard time through a river crossing would it survive?
I believe the Garmin spec says it is waterproof under 1 metre of water for 30 seconds, but they do say that the battery compartment is not waterproof, so If I dump it in a river I will need to open it and dry it out. Personally I'd be more worried about the bike under water than the GPS, as thats going to cost a lot more than a new GPS if it sucks water in.
Another thing, there aint no ****** creeks/rivers left up here in QLD anyway :mad: , so there aint much hope of it swimming.

princess66
26th September 2005, 07:18 AM
Talking to mate at work last night. He was saying someone else he goes riding with has a Mag colour on his bike and he said the screen can be hard to read at times. Anyone with this experience?? BTW CMG have you had any trouble with legend? That was the other GPS I thought of looking at.

yogie
26th September 2005, 09:13 AM
Talking to mate at work last night. He was saying someone else he goes riding with has a Mag colour on his bike and he said the screen can be hard to read at times. Anyone with this experience??

When I was looking at the colour mags I asked about this and the "new ones" didnt have that problem, I said how can I tell the difference between the old new ones and new new ones, he couldnt. I'm more than happy with my B/W screen, I only use mine on the bike and the once yearly trek up to the simpson. So go the B/W screen. In a totally unrelated storie, we were riding and my mates plat mag said that we were in river and he couldnt work out why the line wasnt blue or somthing. So after about 10 minutes of pushing buttons yada yada he decided that we were in a creek end of story. I said my old yellow mag had a creek water tester, he looked at me silly and asked me how does that work? I lied it on the ground and then picked it up and said to him "Its dry, this aint no creek bed" We all fell about our selves ****ing our selve laughing :D ... sorry about that, back to the point here. I love bells and whistles on my toys but the B/W mag is great for my needs.

Shady
26th September 2005, 09:19 AM
Talking to mate at work last night. He was saying someone else he goes riding with has a Mag colour on his bike and he said the screen can be hard to read at times. Anyone with this experience?? BTW CMG have you had any trouble with legend? That was the other GPS I thought of looking at.

Yep, I have a mag colour and I do find it hard to read somtimes, always putting my hand over the screen to provide shade so I can read it. You could shine a torch directly over the eXplorists and still read it without a probalem, they're that bright.

cmg
26th September 2005, 12:28 PM
BTW CMG have you had any trouble with legend? That was the other GPS I thought of looking at.
Not yet, but I only got it a month ago, played with it heaps, only once on the bike, second time will be this weekend, I know of quite a few dirtbikers that use the Legend, and a couple that use an explorist of some sort.
The Legend is proving to be more than I'd hoped for, and is more than good enough for my trailbiking needs.

BurnieM
27th September 2005, 08:45 PM
Most Garmins and Magellans are waterproof to IPX7 which says that you can submerse them to a depth of 1 metre for a period of 30 minutes

The bicycle mounts are really not up to motorcycle use and I would look at RAM mounts.
Another motorcycle mount is from TouraTech but they are expensive and too bulky for me.
Go with a RAM mount (about $75).
One problem with the eXplorist series is that there is currently no RAM mount for them.

Also on a MC you really need a power cable to the bike as vibration will cause power offs if you run from the internal batteries.

The Meridian series are popular on dirt bikes.
Except for the Meridian Gold this series has know been superseeded.

Another unit I would look at for offroad use is the Garmin GPSmap 60C with Tracks4Australia (free) mapping.

cmg
28th September 2005, 06:36 AM
Also on a MC you really need a power cable to the bike as vibration will cause power offs if you run from the internal batteries.
My bike doesnt have a battery, so this is not an option for me, but I have packed the battery pack with pieces of cardboard and foam, and didn't have any problems with it powering off, but it has only been used once on the bike.
Time will tell I guess.

more info here after my first ride (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?p=3271#post3271)

princess66
5th October 2005, 07:38 AM
Ok, I've done it! Bought the Explorist 400. Now all I've got to do is learn how to drive it :confused: