PDA

View Full Version : Hema Navigator and Laptop Configuration

Mike GU
21st July 2008, 09:26 PM
Hi, i just bought a Hema Navigator and have got OziexplorerCE on my Laptop, what i want to know is how (or if) i can use my laptop to set out my route and then load it back onto the Hema, in other words i want to see the same maps on my laptop as i can see on the Hema and be able to waypoint ect and have the info put back onto the Hema.

As i am new to the GPS/Navigation world please put it in lamens terms for me, forgive me if i am completley wrong in my thoughts about this thread.

thanks in advance

Gee_You Patrol
21st July 2008, 09:43 PM
Hi Mike, you should be able to copy and paste the tracks/maps/waypoints from one to the other , usually the tracks are stored in the data folder, I have never seen or used the Hema so this might be different
What part of Australia do you live in

Mike GU
21st July 2008, 09:52 PM
I think there is a problem with the USB cable supplied, the sound of 'found new hardware' is heard and then a few seconds later the sound of the hardware being removed is heard, without touching the cord it continues to do this. Gee You i am in WA mate

Nicko
21st July 2008, 10:11 PM
I have a Hema Navigator and OziExplorer PC, so I will have a go.

Mike GU
21st July 2008, 10:22 PM
Please note that i only have the free oziexplorerCE screen designer V2.16, i want to know if i can toy around on the lap top and save the progress onto the Hema, Thanks

Nicko
21st July 2008, 10:24 PM
I think the trial version don't allow you to export data to a GPS... I think. I can't see how OziExplorer CE works on a laptop anyways. Spend $130, make your life easier :)

Mike GU
21st July 2008, 10:39 PM
my understanding is that the hema is for use instead of a laptop setup, i just want to be able to veiw the maps easier, and if possible plot a trip, if i was to buy the oziexplorer software for PC could i then use it and sync it to the Hema?

Gee_You Patrol
22nd July 2008, 07:39 AM
Hi Mick, you could find out by getting someone's track log and pasting it into the Hema.
Without having one I don't know what files I can see on the unit
You could get a track log from this site if there is one or I could email you one.
have you had the SD card out and had a good look to whats inside the card, my guess is the OziCe is loaded onto it and also there should be a data file and a way of showing that track on screen
Maybe if Nicko has one he can check this out too as he must have a million track logs on his PC

P14WD
24th July 2008, 09:51 PM
Does anyone know if the USB port on the Navigator can be used to feed a laptop with real-time position data? ie So the passenger can sometimes use a laptop in parallel.

Mike GU
24th July 2008, 11:10 PM
Hey P14, thats what i need to know, but my usb cable seems to be stuffed or something, ill get a replacement and see if i can access the unit via usb besides just charging, and without having to buy oziexplorer for the lappy

The Explorer
25th July 2008, 09:40 AM
Snip - ...and have got OziexplorerCE on my Laptop,

OziExplorerCe is for PDAs (or similar) not laptops. To view, edit etc OziExplorer data/maps on the laptop you will need the PC version of the software. The screen designer program you speak of is for ....designing screens for the PDA. It may not work with the hema version of OziCE (special VMS version) anyway.

It is difficult to sort out your communications problem as few of us have had experience with this new device (and at $990 dont think ill rush out and buy one ,though they do look very good)

Suggest you contact hema direct with your problems

http://www.hemanavigator.com.au/contact.html

- there is also a forum here, though not much action as yet..

http://gpsoz.freeforums.org/hema-navigator-f5.html

Cheers
Greg

ADB
15th September 2008, 03:06 PM
I think there is a problem with the USB cable supplied, the sound of 'found new hardware' is heard and then a few seconds later the sound of the hardware being removed is heard, without touching the cord it continues to do this. Gee You i am in WA mate

My USB adapter also does this with my brand new Navigator.

Unable to see any link between laptop and Hema unit

ADB

The Explorer
15th September 2008, 03:26 PM

ADB

I ask a question about communication with the hema unit via PC on the hema forum - you unfortunately can not communicate in normal activesync manner with the HN - so you cant use screen designer to change or make custom screens for Ozi - you are stuck with what they have decided is best for you. Think if I was heading down this path I would get Mio 520 - same unit, less than half the price

Cheers
Greg

BigDan
7th January 2009, 11:16 AM

ADB

My HN works fine with my desktop and laptops but I have had the same problem with my mates computer using the same HN and cable. So it looks like it bay be the computer hardware software if that makes sence

BigDan
7th January 2009, 11:19 AM

I have had the same problem on a friends computer, but the same HN and cable works fine on every other system i have used it on. So i think it may be the computers hardware/software ??