PDA

View Full Version : BUYING eXplorist 500 - eXcited!

vanzbrown
27th July 2008, 07:33 PM
Hey all... Well, up until right now, i have been looking for a Garmin 60cx on the net, but now i rekon i want an Xplorist 500. Am i Mad... Please help, ive been reading on here for ages now i need answers...

Firstly, ill be buying it from the states, and there is a place selling them for $149US and they come with the following:

eXplorist 500 GPS Receiver (looks to be 500LE from the box)
- Mapsend Worldwide Basemap CD
- Installallation CD
- USB Cable
- Car Charger
- House Charger
- 1 Li-on Rechargeable Battery
- Carry Case
(RETAIL BOXED)

Now, posted here all up its going to come in at about $200AU to my door. For that money, even if it lasts a year or two, im happy and will then buy my Garmin...

Stay with me... I have a copy of DAST V.1 and oziexplorer on my pc i got from a friend (i think his was a meridian), am i able to use these maps on my Explorist 500 or is that not how it works. If yes, I guess i would have to copy it to an SD card though right, can i do this by plugging the gps into the computer and copying that way or would i need a card reader. Anyways, if that all fails theres now the free topo stuff OliverK?

Basemaps, well, from what i read its easier to swap from US to AUS basemap on the units memory than it is on the garmin...

Am i missing anything. Is everything going to work as i hope. I know the old saying, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. The guy selling them on ebay has a history of 22,000 odd things sold with 99% positive feedback and has heaps of different GPS units up for sale.

I know that as they dont use AA batteries not as convenient on long hikes, but seeing as replacement Li-on batteries are cheap, i cant see having to carry a charged up spare a problem...

As i said, the only reason im looking at these is that they are cheap and a little more friendly to being 'modified' to suit aussie conditions... Would the instalation disk be usless because its for the US, or is it simply a tool for allowing the GPS to 'talk' with the computer.
Thanks, and hope to get some good replies.
Leeroy...

vanzbrown
27th July 2008, 07:57 PM
PS... have seen pictures of chargers with what looks like different ways of connecting to the unit. I would have thought that there was plug holes at the bottome of the unit, but have seen cords coming out from the upper back of the unit. IS there two different ways to charge this unit, or is it just inacurate photographs, ie, for different models.

Nicko
27th July 2008, 08:21 PM
The eXplorist 500 is discontinued and has been for 3 months or more. If you buy one it is no doubt with an American basemap and will be second hand. right now, stick to the Garmin, it's your safest choice.

Nicko
27th July 2008, 08:25 PM
No Handheld has connection at the bottom, your confusing handheld GPS with mobile phones. You will need the Magellan Li-Ion Battery to turn it into a rechargeable version. The 500LE does not come with this battery but does come with a AA cradle. The cheap Li-Ion battery that fits that model is crucial as some of them will not fit properly.

The Explorer
27th July 2008, 11:43 PM
The eXplorist 500 is discontinued and has been for 3 months or more. If you buy one it is no doubt with an American basemap and will be second hand. right now, stick to the Garmin, it's your safest choice.

Still a few brand new eXplorists to be had on eBay direct from Aus seller (must have found a container on the beach). Yes all US basemaps but if you have DAST..or custom maps that is irrelevant. Explorists are good units ..though would get 60 series Garmin if I had a choice between the two.
Cheers
Greg

The Explorer
27th July 2008, 11:50 PM
SNIP..
I know that as they dont use AA batteries not as convenient on long hikes, but seeing as replacement Li-on batteries are cheap, i cant see having to carry a charged up spare a problem...

AAA clip also available for those who need it............

https://www.nextdestination.com.au/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?BrandId=13&ProductId=141

they don last as long as standard Li-ion though.

Cheers
Greg

The Explorer
27th July 2008, 11:57 PM
PS... have seen pictures of chargers with what looks like different ways of connecting to the unit. I would have thought that there was plug holes at the bottome of the unit, but have seen cords coming out from the upper back of the unit. IS there two different ways to charge this unit, or is it just inacurate photographs, ie, for different models.

Only one (standard) way - USB cord (which connects GPS to PC) has side jack plug (female) for external 240V or 12v charger/power cords (all ~5V input to unit). There is no magellan seperate power plug that goes directly to unit....though these guys have created a single cord that does away with need for the standard usb cable..

http://www.gpsoz.com.au/magellan/magellan_explorist_accessories.htm

Cheers
Greg

michaeld
28th July 2008, 08:10 AM
Mine is perfect with DAST and I bought an extra battery though the batteries last all day

Nicko
28th July 2008, 10:25 AM
I have the battery clip in stock

helterskelter400
28th July 2008, 09:47 PM
i got a US explorist 500 for about 200au last year. good device.

the one you're looking at looks like it comes with a 12v ciggie plug charger/power supply. thats handy.
might not come with a plug adapter to change the US flat pins to the AU slant type. cheap enough to buy one though.

i loaded up mine with DASTv1 from my meridian colour and i loaded up the AU basemap following the instructions on here somewhere. also got a copy of oliverk-shonkymaps and have that on the SD card too.

everything is working fine

i have one li-ion battey and an aaa clip. aaa's dont last as long as the li-ion. not really a prob for me as i mostly power it via 12v.

screen is way better than the one on the meridian but the buttons are alot more fiddly with MC gloves on.

its "only" 200 and made more attractive if you have detail maps ready to go. the only other things you may need is a SD card (1gb spare from the camera) and a mount (i got mine from mountguys.com)