PDA

View Full Version : What Is better ?

Genesis
14th August 2008, 11:42 AM
I need to get some feedback regarding which is better.

1. OzTopo V2
2. Australia Contours V2.0

Ideally I want my GPS to replace my topo map, even though I will still carry a map and compass with me as a backup (Shhhh) I am primarily concerned with the quality of the contour information. I probably will not use the GPS in the short term anyway for road navigation so I want to get some feedback from you with regard to this.

Thanks

Genesis

Michael
14th August 2008, 11:45 AM
I do not know how different they are.
But I have posted quite a few screen shots of OzTopo on both the PC & the GPS screen
Use the 'Search' button to find them.

Nicko
14th August 2008, 12:40 PM
give me an area and I will post the comparison

Genesis
14th August 2008, 08:50 PM
This is an area I am interested in...

S28 15.754 E152 40.501

Lets see that comparison......

Also why are the contours well done but the water courses are well.... not.... ?

Genesis

festy
14th August 2008, 08:58 PM
Also why are the contours well done but the water courses are well.... not.... ?
Genesis
There's not a lot of 'free' GIS data for Australia out there for us to make maps with. Most (including shonky and CA v1) are based on the Geoscience Australia 250k data, which includes 50m contour intervals, major roads etc. The data is of a level you'd expect to find on a 1:250k maps, so when you try to use the same data at a lower scale, you notice how little detail it actually has.

The 10m contour intervals were made by converting free satellite radar data produced by NASA into a GIS format that could then be used for making maps, but we can't really do the same for water courses and the likes :(