PDA

View Full Version : Gpsies - google map based program to create waypoints, tracks and routes to Garmin

Nicko
14th August 2008, 10:12 PM
Found this site http://www.gpsies.com/ by chance and found this to be a leap ahead of many sites. I chose Find Coordinates first and played around and then Track Creator. Couldn't work out how to create my own track until I read the instruction balloon. Yes I have to double click on the map area to start the trackpoint. You can upload your own tracks and share them with others. This might be a good source of tracks.

It allows you to store the track in several formats including oziexplorer. What are your thoughts?

Treadly
14th August 2008, 10:59 PM
I was going to write that it's pretty good except for the fact that it uses Google maps which aren't very good in country areas BUT I discovered you can change it to OSM and others, which is pretty cool! I think this website will do well.
And the more I look around the site the better I like it!
Impressive!

photohiker
15th August 2008, 06:23 AM
Looks very good.

Great flexibility built into that site. It even allows you to save a track without a user id, so I was able to save my mucking around on the Mt Lofty Track...

Be very useful for sharing tracks. Site seemed a bit slow to start.

Michael