PDA

View Full Version : Laptop AND PDA

Patrolman Pat
13th October 2005, 03:24 PM
I've recently got OziExplore working on my laptop (10 yo navigator loves it) and on my pda, which I find great while driving. Can I feed the GPS signal to both simultaneously so my son cam play (sorry navigate) with the lappy while I use the PDA as a driving aid. If so how, can I get a serial cable splitter type thingy.

arthurking83
13th October 2005, 06:08 PM
These splitter thingy's exist........look like THIS (http://www.pccables.com/00828.htm).
How well they work is anyones guess, and theoretically it should do what you want, but how it stops the communication getting mixed up between PDA and laptop............ :confused:

Where to get one??..........dunno!

ps. There is a company that deals in cables and such things..........I have delivered to/picked up from there in the Melbourne suburb of Croydon. I can't remember their name and exact address, but next time I'm in the area, I'll post the company info (if you haven't found one by then!!).

cheers.

pps. I think **** Smith Electronics have similar thingies??

Craigus
13th October 2005, 06:37 PM
We should be able to get you one through the online shop right here. :cool:

vincentvega
14th October 2005, 06:54 AM
how are you with a soldering iron?

If you take a picture of the connectors you need for everything, i can tell you how to wire it up. A GPS splitter is dead easy

Patrolman Pat
14th October 2005, 07:18 AM
I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron but I reckon arthurking83s cable splitter is all I need. I'll check out **** Smiths first, can't imagine it would cost much.
Thanks guys, this forum is a great source of info.

vincentvega
14th October 2005, 07:24 AM
I have never seen those for sale in AU, but they must be available somewhere.

You might have trouble with them though. Usually you would wire your splitter cable so that only one device can talk back to the GPS, but both can receive from it. That cable probably has both devices wired, so you might end up with your PC and PDA software both trying to talk to the GPS at once.

If you can solder, make one. Parts from disk smiths will probably cost you a few dollars..

Patrolman Pat
14th October 2005, 05:13 PM
Vincentvega I hadn't thought about the pdfa and lappy talking to the GPS. I though it was a one way conversation ( a bit like driving with the missus) from the GPS. Might have to investigate further.

Jax
15th October 2005, 07:49 PM
Unfortunately I am almost certain this will not work, the TIA232 interface works via acknoledgement using DTR/DSR, it is a point to point communication. I cant see how it would work with 3 parties. Doesent matter if it is sync or assync I belive it will just not work.

vincentvega
16th October 2005, 09:14 AM
RS232 *can* use thoes pins for flow control but it doesnt have to.

to use your GPS with any mapping software that uses NMEA, all you need is 2 wires. one is ground, and the other goes from transmit on the GPS to receive on the PC. Thats it. no acknowledgement, no flow control, the gps jsut sits there automtically spitting out the data.

If you then want to be able to talk back to the gps to upload waypoints etc, you add one more wire. transmit on the pc to receive on the gps.

Thats the most you will ever need to wire up.