PDA

View Full Version : how much detail do oziex maps show

fieldmouse
18th October 2005, 09:06 PM
Just another annoying question.
What scale of detail do oziexplorer maps get to, like if I'm going bush and need a 1: 25000 or better, does oziexplorer allow that kind of detail? I see mention of 1:250000 and greater, but I imagine that wouldn't be of much use in the scrub when looking for fire trails etc.
Tks
Fieldy

Craigus
18th October 2005, 09:15 PM
Taken straight from my Ozi using our 1:25000 Maps

Craigus
18th October 2005, 09:24 PM
And 1:100000 Maps.. Should give you a good idea :D

Drop Bear
19th October 2005, 08:03 AM
I use the topoview maps which are basically the digital versions of the paper maps you buy at camping shops etc they work just great for exlporing fire trails etc.

Moo73
19th October 2005, 08:26 AM
I use the topoview maps which are basically the digital versions of the paper maps you buy at camping shops etc they work just great for exlporing fire trails etc.

Where do you download the topoview maps from? Or can they be purchased?

festy
19th October 2005, 11:23 AM
They can be purchased (I think they still can...) for about $160 per CD. There's 7 cds in the set, so not a cheap set of maps.

Rumor has it that LPI will be releasing a new series based on the same topo data as the ones on this site on dvd for a more reasonable amount.

festy
19th October 2005, 11:27 AM
Anyway, to answer your original question - oziexplorer will load any map you can calibrate, there's no fixed limit to scale. I mapped a gocart track a year or two ago, the finished map had a scale of about 1:100 so just about anything's possible.

mitchofsutho
19th October 2005, 11:45 AM
Drop bear,

Remember that the Topoview maps you are using are scans of 2nd Edition 1:25k maps. The most recent of those maps were produced about 1991. The datum of all the LPI Topoview 1:25K 2nd Edition maps are AGD66.

From this website, you can download (after 10 posts) copies of the current, LPI NSW 1:25K 3rd Edition maps. The Datum of all LPI NSW 3rd Edition 1:25K maps are GDA94 (close enough to WGS84 used by GPS).

The 1:100K maps you can download from this site are the current 2nd Edition LPI NSW map images. These maps are also GDA94.

It should also be noted that although the NSW maps you can download from this site or LPI are good enough for navigation and 4x4 trips, the overlays which display many of the location names and some features are missing as they are not provided for free download by LPI, so they are not displayed on the downloaded maps.

As I mentioned in a previous post there is a difference of between AGD66 and GDA94 and in order to convert GDA94 to AGD66:

For Northings/Easting: decrease Northings by 179m and Eastings by 122m.

For Lat/Long: increase Latitude by 5.5 seconds and decrease Longitude by 4.6 seconds.

If the map datum is configured correctly, OziExplorer should automatically carryout the conversions. In Configuration, if using OziE with a GPS, OziE datum would normally be set to WGS84.

Now if you have used the coordinates displayed on the Topoview (2nd Edition) maps to plot points on the aeriel photographs you advised you have been attempting to calibrate, although the projection will also probably be out, so will the lat/long points you took from a map with a datum of AGD66 and then re-plotted to an image in OziE with the datum set to WGS84.

mitchofsutho
19th October 2005, 01:00 PM
Here is an example of the difference in Grid coordinates between AGD66 (LPI 2nd Edition -Topoview maps) and GDA94 (the datum used in the current LPI 3rd Edition maps) I have included an image of a 3rd Edition, free downloadable map image (also available at GPSAus) and the commercial equivalent so as the difference between the available map detail is evident. All images are of Echo Point, Katoomba.

The waypoints were initially set at the points the 2nd Edition grid lines intersect. You will notice the difference between the two datums. For comparision, on the GPSAus map image, I activated the grid lines in OziE. They align perfectly with the LPI 3rd edition grid lines.

LPI 2nd Edition Topoview (AGD66)

mitchofsutho
19th October 2005, 01:05 PM
LPI 3rd Edition - Commercial (GDA94)

mitchofsutho
19th October 2005, 01:09 PM
LPI 3rd Edition - Free download

Moo73
19th October 2005, 02:59 PM
It should also be noted that although the NSW maps you can download from this site or LPI are good enough for navigation and 4x4 trips, the overlays which display many of the location names and some features are missing as they are not provided for free download by LPI, so they are not displayed on the downloaded maps.

I was wondering what the catch was to being able to download the maps foc - but as you say enough, generally detail for 4x4 and nav activities.
Thanks for the comparo!

PED04
22nd October 2005, 09:02 PM
On a slightly different topic, what is a good resource to learn more about Oziexplorer? There are so many features that I don't use, which may be of use. Unfortunately you don't know what you don't know.

energizer61
23rd October 2005, 07:37 AM
On a slightly different topic, what is a good resource to learn more about Oziexplorer? There are so many features that I don't use, which may be of use. Unfortunately you don't know what you don't know.

The best advise i can give on using Ozi, play with it, press buttons to see what they do (thats all i've done)
but, if you want some specific advise you could try the Ozi users yahoo group;
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OziUsers-L/

i'm not a member there, but there is some interesting reading if you are after Ozi advise.

cheers :)

PED04
24th October 2005, 05:32 PM
That's what I've been doing, but the menu system isn't like most other Windows programs, and I feel that it does more than what I'm using it for.

The Spice
25th October 2005, 10:53 PM
can all this detail be downloaded onto metroguide? wouldlove more detail on my etrex

arthurking83
25th October 2005, 11:00 PM
can all this detail be downloaded onto metroguide? wouldlove more detail on my etrex

No!\

Do a search (here or Google) for a project called Tracks4Australia!!