PDA

View Full Version : Using mapsource

otwayrider
20th September 2008, 06:04 PM
Hi,

Just purchased new Garmin GPS 60Cx from online store, it came with free topo maps and mapsource CD.
I`m sure this has been asked before but i`m having trouble loading the topo maps from the CD to the mapsource software, i have only a very basic map in mapsource which i can`t do alot with.
Can i load the Shonky maps i have on disk or the T4A maps or any others into mapsource?

Thanks.

Dooghan
20th September 2008, 06:21 PM
YES!!!!! Each set of maps are in an installer program. You just got to run each from the CD. From memory Shonky maps come in a .ZIP file. Just open the .ZIP file and the installer is in it. The installer program puts them all in the right place on your computer. Once you have then installed run Mapsource. At the top left of the screen (see pic) is a drop down box. Select the map set you want to view from there.

otwayrider
20th September 2008, 08:07 PM
Thanks Dooghan,

Managed that easily. Do you know of any other free maps that contain more track name info? T4A and Shonky seem a little lacking in the names department.
Another question. Once maps are loaded onto Mapsource can i transfer these to my GPS?
Will i erase any info on the card doing this?

mlenser
20th September 2008, 09:34 PM
Each time you send any maps to the gps the maps already installed will be deleted. So if you have (for example) Shonkymaps installed in your gps and wish to send T4A as well then you must send both Shonkymaps AND T4A to the gps otherwise you would only have T4A.

Have a look Nicko's video ---> http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6548

Regards,
Mike.

Dooghan
20th September 2008, 09:42 PM
Thanks Dooghan,

Managed that easily. Do you know of any other free maps that contain more track name info? T4A and Shonky seem a little lacking in the names department.Have a look that the OSM Maps (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)

Another question. Once maps are loaded onto Mapsource can i transfer these to my GPS?YES

Will i erase any info on the card doing this?Only the maps that are already on there. When you upload maps to the GPS the old ones are deleted first before the new set is put on. As the maps on the card are the same as the ones in Mapsource you will be able to put them back later.

otwayrider
21st September 2008, 09:51 AM
Great info guys thanks!

There doesn`t look like much detail in OSM currently, especially in the Vic high country were i`m most interested.
Is there other maps in OSM i can`t see?

Michael
21st September 2008, 02:53 PM
If you want detail for the high country, you will have to buy OzTopo, I have found it very good for coverage of that area. :hatoff

mlenser
21st September 2008, 02:53 PM
There doesn`t look like much detail in OSM currently, especially in the Vic high country were i`m most interested.OSM relies on people like you and me contributing track logs and adding tracks/names/details etc. Sadly our 4x4 friends who travel the Victorian High Country haven't been contributing to OSM in any way - which considering how many carry a GPS has surprised me.
Until we start getting some support from those that actually use those area's we won't have any coverage in the near future. Your best bet is to buy OzTopo v2 which has very good coverage of the high country.

Is there other maps in OSM i can`t see?No hidden maps no - what you see is what you get but please join and start contributing and we'll soon see some improvements there as well.

Regards,
Mike.

Handheld
2nd November 2008, 12:42 PM
I've gone and followed the video but loaded them on to the GPS (Oregon 300) instead of the memory card. I have now installed them on the memory card but how do I get them out of the GPS?
I've had a look in the GPS under My Computer but am not sure where what is.

Nicko
2nd November 2008, 10:14 PM
what do you mean by get them out of the GPS? You mean on the GPS screen or onto the PC?

Handheld
2nd November 2008, 10:17 PM
Clearing them from the GPS's memory whilst retaining them on the memory card.

Nev
3rd November 2008, 12:22 AM
I've gone and followed the video but loaded them on to the GPS (Oregon 300) instead of the memory card. I have now installed them on the memory card but how do I get them out of the GPS?
I've had a look in the GPS under My Computer but am not sure where what is.and
Clearing them from the GPS's memory whilst retaining them on the memory card.On my nuvi, PDA, Laptop etc. any new mapsets are stored in a file named gmapsupp.img. This can be found either in the GPS unit or SD card under \GARMIN
Simply move this file to your memory card \GARMIN folder or delete it and use Garmin MapSource etc. to reinstall to your card.
Don't move or delete any other files!

Handheld
3rd November 2008, 09:13 AM
Thanks Nev. I saw that file and wondered if it was relevant but wasn't game enough to find out!